Squarp Rample

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Re: Squarp Rample

Post by Hidden_Path » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 am
I do have exactly the same issue as you described. I thought it might be related to the samples and that they do have the wrong format but this is not the case. So i cannot go through all the layers of a multisample using a 0 to 5V sweep, neither -5 to +5 nor 0 to 10V.
Definitely a bug I would assume.

Edit: It seems that the incoming velocity (Midi) or CV will not be equally devided by the number of samples/layers for that voice.
Thanks for confirming that, wasnt sure if I was just setting something up incorrectly... I’ve posted the same issue on the Squarp forum so hopefully I’ll get some communication there officially (may also just send them an email). Its too bad, was looking forward to sequencing the sample selection with my voltage block. The firmware is still 1.0 so hopefully improvements are coming.

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 am

Hidden_Path wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 am
Mr. Roboto wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 am
I do have exactly the same issue as you described. I thought it might be related to the samples and that they do have the wrong format but this is not the case. So i cannot go through all the layers of a multisample using a 0 to 5V sweep, neither -5 to +5 nor 0 to 10V.
Definitely a bug I would assume.

Edit: It seems that the incoming velocity (Midi) or CV will not be equally devided by the number of samples/layers for that voice.
Thanks for confirming that, wasnt sure if I was just setting something up incorrectly... I’ve posted the same issue on the Squarp forum so hopefully I’ll get some communication there officially (may also just send them an email). Its too bad, was looking forward to sequencing the sample selection with my voltage block. The firmware is still 1.0 so hopefully improvements are coming.
Squarp posted they are aware of the bug and working on a fix for the next firmware.

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 am

Ah, interesting information. Good to know they are aware of it and take care of a fix.
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Tue May 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Underwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm
miminashi wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm
I'd wait for Squarp to publish some specs before jumping to any conclusions about performance. Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency
Yes it does. I have tiptop one, i know how it performs. its correct that under the right circumstances it has great latency, that means just one sample playing and absolutely no cv switching of samples (this will lead to latency and even slight jitter).

With polyphony you can expect increased latency for sure. how useful and professional is a sampler that can play 1 sample at super low latency in 2020?!

We have a ton of these SD streaming modules in euro now, we certainly don't need another. Give me a professional sampler that plays samples from RAM (6-8MB) and has the same audio quality as Assimilat8r. CV in for sample selection, trigger and pitch. 2 voices, 2 outs would be fine. $300-range.
The sample rate is lower and it costs a bit more then 300 bucks, but aside from that, the Sample Drum from Erica Synth should get you all of that – but with 32 MB ram.
Erica sample drum can do live sample recording while Rample cannot if I'm not mistaken.

Underwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underwood » Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 pm

airfrankenstein wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Underwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm
miminashi wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm
I'd wait for Squarp to publish some specs before jumping to any conclusions about performance. Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency
Yes it does. I have tiptop one, i know how it performs. its correct that under the right circumstances it has great latency, that means just one sample playing and absolutely no cv switching of samples (this will lead to latency and even slight jitter).

With polyphony you can expect increased latency for sure. how useful and professional is a sampler that can play 1 sample at super low latency in 2020?!

We have a ton of these SD streaming modules in euro now, we certainly don't need another. Give me a professional sampler that plays samples from RAM (6-8MB) and has the same audio quality as Assimilat8r. CV in for sample selection, trigger and pitch. 2 voices, 2 outs would be fine. $300-range.
The sample rate is lower and it costs a bit more then 300 bucks, but aside from that, the Sample Drum from Erica Synth should get you all of that – but with 32 MB ram.
Erica sample drum can do live sample recording while Rample cannot if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, you can record samples with the Sample Drum.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 am

please delete...I misunderstood the preceding comment

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am

How loud is it? Couldn't find the info on squarp website.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:03 pm

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am
I don't know the exact output DB but it seems significantly louder than the Squid Salmple which I always struggle to get loud enough with all my other modules (I have to turn all the other down). Rample seems to hold its own. I also find the sound of the Rample a lot fuller and—I don't know—it just has a sense of polish to it. All my own subjective opinion of course.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:43 pm
The latency thing is a little "eh", but mostly I fret about post-launch support, and responsiveness to support enquiries for faulty units- neither of which Squarp are famous for.

I'm still feeling a little lairy after the way the Hermod was left to rot, with "no plans" for updates surprisingly quickly- it's like they're channelling Chord.
They definitely did themselves no favors with the 'no new features' statement and unfortunately that stigma refuses to go away. In reality, they've added a LOT of new features to Hermod and they're still actively developing for it. I'm currently testing a Beta which includes a new game changing feature.

On top of that, their hardware support is excellent I typically get a response within 24hrs - esp. if it's hardware related. When my Hermod had a dodgy encoder, they fixed it free of charge within 7 days (Portland > Paris > Portland).

I'll be honest, they've won me over.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:52 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am
Haven't measured it, but I'd not be surprised if it wasn't 8-10ppv or similar. The output seems just as loud as my other modules, and sits in the mix quite happily. Essentially, I've never measured it because it has never been an issue- if that helps. It's a fairly solid-feeling and sounding module.

It badly needs a 1v/octave mode for layer selection so you can easily sequence kits/chopped samples. That's something the Disting EX does very well with the ability to chromatically map a run of samples automatically if you want. Other than that, it's surprisingly great.

(Basically CV control of layer selection just spreads the samples over the voltage range.)

dbcoder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dbcoder » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:06 am

Can anyone comment on latency when rapidly triggering and changing samples on one channel?

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 pm

Patiently awaiting the video from Squarp, been promising it for awhile now.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:54 am

Not from Squarp... but a great demo that show's of some of the features in a performative way:

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:38 pm

That video was great. I was on the fence about the Sample a few months ago, but after that video I bought it. Looking forward to checking it out.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 am

So, is anyone happy with the Rample? I'm about to send back my BitBox Micro as there are some serious issues with it, but I'd like a replacement drum sample player.

Any serious issues?

I wish the rample allowed the user to actually create kits within the unit itself, and display sample names. The display should be able to handle that...
Seems like a fun module once it is set up at least...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 am

another update already for RAMPLE ! (and hermod too, Squarp on a real roll at the moment !)

https://squarp.net/rample/firmware/

lots of new features too..

- STEREO SUPPORT: 16bit 44.1kHz sereo WAV files are now supported. Please refer to the manual to create stereo-compatible kits.

- Layer playback mode (manual, random, cyclic, ...) is now per voice

- Envelopes (attack and decay) are now exponential shaped, for a more natural and musical sound.

- Autosave current kit: Rample will load the last kit you used on start-up.

- New quantize slicer values: now you can now choose between Free, /8, /16, /32, /64, /12, /24, /48

- Circular scrolling kits: Scroll past Z99 and end up back at A0, and vice-versa.

- New advanced parameters display: 2 dots instead of 3, for clarity.

- MIDI CC60 = select layer mode all voices, CC61 = layer mode voice 1, ..., CC64 = layer mode voice 4

- MIDI CC70 = randomize all voices, CC71 = randomize voice 1, ..., CC74 = randomize voice 4

- MIDI CC80 = reset all voices, CC81 = reset voice 1, ..., CC84 = reset voice 4

lots of interesting stuff here.. stereo support is really useful, esp as we can stream from the sdcard.
and simple things like it saving the current kit ... is SO useful.... no more using A0 out of lazyness ;)

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:54 am
Not from Squarp... but a great demo that show's of some of the features in a performative way:
This has me sold. Will be my next module for sure.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 pm

New OS out. Now supports stereo samples amongst many other things. https://squarp.net/rample/firmware

Return to “Eurorack Modules”