Minimum modules needed to produce sound

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Minimum modules needed to produce sound

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:24 am

It's a bit of a tricky question since it's modular, and almost by definition you need at least two for it to come into its own. But I'd agree that a dual function generator would probably give you the most mileage since it's capable of being different things, but crucially, at the same time.

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 am

If you already have an MS20 then you could go right into a module that can process that sound.
A filter that has another type of sound, say a Doepfer Wasp, a Doepfer A-120 or some other east coast type of filter.
The MS20s filter is not very knarly and is something like the Doepfer a-106 SEM (a west coast type of sound)if I recall correctly.
This way you would have both types of filters.
There are lots of filters and everyone has their favorites, I’m sure you could get a bunch of opinions here.
Also, something like an Erica Pico DSP to process sound would really add to the MS20 especially if you do not have a bunch of pedals or standalone effects and is quite inexpensive for what you get plus it can have a stereo like output.
Depending on how much you want to spend, either get a filter, a dual function generator like Maths or Rampage and another
oscillator (maybe a dual oscillater), or go the safe route and get a semi-modular like M-32 or O-coast.
If I were you I would buy one of everything. :hmm:

Foghorn
I forgot that I had an MS-20, thank you for reminding me of it.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

inoshi
Common Wiggler

Post by inoshi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25 pm

stick to standalone synths until you're prepared to spend serious money. i'm warning you.

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:45 pm

It all depends on what your musical interest is. I found both the Mother-32 and the 0 Coast limited and not what I wanted. In contrast, you could keep me entertained for eons with a Synthesis Technology e352 or two Makenoise Telharmonics that I could send beating against each other. I'd strongly urge that, in this day and age, your second module be an Expert Sleepers ES-8 so you could use VCVRack as a modulation source.

ynth
You're a gazelle

Post by ynth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:03 pm

A single self-patched Wogglebug is fun.
:bug:
There's a video somewhere of multiple 1st-gen MakeNoise Wogglebugs patched together making an unholy racket.
It helps to like that sort of thing though....

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Going more in that direction, a Benjolin would be fun too.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:30 pm

ynth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:03 pm
A single self-patched Wogglebug is fun.
:bug:
There's a video somewhere of multiple 1st-gen MakeNoise Wogglebugs patched together making an unholy racket.
It helps to like that sort of thing though....
This one?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Get a virtual modular for your computer and play with it a while. Learn what modules you end up using a lot before you spend money on physical ones. There are plenty of free VMs out there and even the ones that cost money, don't cost too much. Some like VCV are models after actual physical modules so you can buy the real ones later. If you are adventuresome and do some DIY, get something like the Axoloti for $80 and make a custom synth and learn what modules you like from it.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:22 am

insoul8 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:01 pm
I would definitely go for something like the 0-Coast or Mother32 to start. They will both give you all you need to start, are self contained, and will integrate seamlessly with any future modules you buy.

Check this out:

Thanks for posting this. It was one of the videos that made me get an 0-Coast about 2 years ago. Seeing it again has made me realise how little I utilise the 0-Coast.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 am

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:06 pm

I vote for the klavis dual waves.
My first oscillator.

It can do a lot by itself.

Add an attenuverter type module and an envelope for basic fun. But lots of basic fun! The attenuvert module was probably the best thing I bolted to it.

Klavis dual waves
per|former sequencer
doepfer 135.1 mixer.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

tau_seti wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:45 pm
It all depends on what your musical interest is. I found both the Mother-32 and the 0 Coast limited and not what I wanted. In contrast, you could keep me entertained for eons with a Synthesis Technology e352 or two Makenoise Telharmonics that I could send beating against each other. I'd strongly urge that, in this day and age, your second module be an Expert Sleepers ES-8 so you could use VCVRack as a modulation source.
i´m totally with this post !

I have a E370, its a quad, but the Pistonhonda3 will do similar, just beeing 1 respectivly (somehow) 2 VCOs.
but i probably would not buy it until you could add 1-2 modules more.
And i would not substitute your wish to get a PH3 with any other VCO. the idea as such is good ( hope you want the #3 ;) )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Overand
Common Wiggler

Post by Overand » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 pm

I think you might want to play with VCVRack before choosing stuff, if you don’t actually have any experience using a modular synth. Have you gotten to play with any in person?

I started in the early 2000s with an MOTM-120 Sub-octave Mux. I don’t think I’d actually recommend that route, though. I don’t think I was truly happy until Ihad a full synth voice, but listening to a ~2004 recording, maybe I’m underestimating my then-joy, with only a few modules.

If you’re buying used, go for whatever (even a Behringer neutron). If you’re buying new, IMO it’s very worth supporting a smaller company, and while activity on the used market does affect the manufacturers, I’m sure it’s less than on the new market. And if you get a Behringer or other big-ish company thing - preferably used - you may catch the modular bug. And that is unambiguously good for everyone, including small manufacturers. (:
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: MOTM | Euro
WTB: MOTM Case, Euro VCAs, Sequencers, Env Followers & Interfaces.
Building the modular since ~2003

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 am

+1 for the 0-coast

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Used your MIDI gear or computer to make sounds and then PLAY them on a Nebulae or other wav player that can granulate them or modify them to the extreme.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm

If you want to really go the module route, since you have somesynths already, why not a versatile filter like 3sisters or the spas. they can self oscillate so you can use them as sound generators, plus they can do so many things, you won't get bored easily of just using 1 module. I do recommend jumping fast to a modulation source + a vca or you'll get tired with your hands.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 am

fwwilkes wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm
I’ll primarily be using this stuff for noise/industrial/ambient so something like that should entertain me until I add effects. Any oscillators one might consider for that type of music?
You should check out Error Instruments - https://www.errorinstruments.com/c-3544 ... r-modular/
Cloud Busting and Tropical Noise look pretty fun.

thealienthing
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thealienthing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:03 am

starthief wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 am
For absolutely minimal, you could probably go for a 2hp wide blank panel and tap it against things to produce sound.
Lol true snark here. I love it. Not gonna lie though. Someone mention tapping a jack with your finger to produce sound. Add some reverb and delay to that and BOOM. The other day I was surprised when I had so much fun tapping a patch cable plugged into my filter cv and pitch cv. I barely have any modules and you can make lot of fun stuff unexpectedly. :guinness:

thealienthing
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thealienthing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:05 am

Also you may have heard this elsewhere, but download VCV rack and get patching today! It’s free and you can make as much crazy bullshit as you want. Pay attention to what you’re using most and pick up what fits your interests and budget!

Edit: ah yes someone mentions VCV. I second that. It’s risk free and you’d be surprised at what you can do with it!

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 am

Get a Mutable Instruments Plaits or a 2nd hand Braids, they both have loads of different synthesis types and a built in vca, so you could use either with a Keystep for a very basic first setup. But one with a lot of tonal variation.
here hare here!

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:05 am

I started with Mother-32 and it's still a great way to enter modular. It's relatively "good value" given you get a complete voice and sequencer, which you can build a larger system around. I would also look at the Make Noise 0-Coast, the Moog DFAM, the Bastl Softpop, and the Behringer Neutron, or one of the 'brute models by Arturia. Semi-modular is a good way to go, it's ready to get lost in making sound, and it's re-sellable if you want to move on.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 am

You had posted that you are really into Industrial/Noise stuff. If you do go the semi-modular route, I'd highly recommend the Arturia Minibrute 2/s with the 6U Rackbrute. It's definitely worth saving up for. Since you don't sound like a "keyboard player", I definitely choose the 2/s for its sequencing and automation capabilities. It's got a great metalizer feature and it's Steiner-based filter sounds really nasty. As for starting with a Mother 32, well, it sounds like a Moog. Very signature and I'm not sure if that sounds like the style you're looking for. Not to say Industrial couldn't be done on it, but since you are starting off slow, I'd begin with the most bang for your buck.

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 am

the first electronic instrument I owned was a benjolin and I think that's a good idea for a first module
Smurfs

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 am

so I've been thinking maybe you should get a Maths. You can get sounds out of it and mining it for all its worth seems like a cool starting point.
Smurfs

Return to “Eurorack Modules”