Best Euro Distortion modules 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Re: Best Euro Distortion modules 2020

Post by fjoesz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:48 pm

+1 for voicas ledrover

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 am

not its intended purpose per se, but i've gotten some rad results using let's splosh for rectification of audio

dvxrxr
1-Post Wiggler

Post by dvxrxr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:54 am

VanEck wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Godeater by Animal Factory is pretty insane. Lots of versatility. Brand new (in module form at least) for 2020.

Iv'e been enjoying mine and feels it stands out over many of the more recent distortion modules I've tried.
Could I get your take on some of the controls? I actually thought mine was faulty at first, but can see that the few videos have the same "issues".

The main thing is the wet volume is SO much quieter than dry on 80% of settings. The trim pot on the back doesn't seem to do much. It means it's not really feasible to use CV to modulate between dry and wet, as it's just "clean LOUD" > "wet very quiet". I nearly wrecked my monitors when I pulled it back to dry after playing about on all wet.

Linked to this, the input knob basically needs to be cranked above 3 o'clock for it to function at all (so what's the point of it...?). Are you driving the signal going in to it?

Finally (and this one I get really) the volume drops between diodes is extremely noticeable. I understand why, but what's the point of allowing CV switching? Again you end up with huge volume discrepancies.

I can find great sounds from it, but it feels like I'm fighting with it - definitely not something I can just find some quick great sounds from. Maybe it's better just as a set and forget module, and not optimized for my "CV everything" approach...?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:58 am

simple, expensive and nice: Schippmann CS 8 Series DST2

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:48 am

Probably not what you're after but seeing as these threads are just 'post your favorite such and such modules', angle grinder.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 am

Not sure if it counts because it came out earlier but I’m looking at erica’s plasma drive that’s my hope to make some ugly sounds lol

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 am

msegarra wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 am
Not sure if it counts because it came out earlier but I’m looking at erica’s plasma drive that’s my hope to make some ugly sounds lol
I actually got this module in the end. Pair nicely with Erica Synths Bassline and Noise Engineering BIA. I do find you have to put a filter after the distortion though as sometimes its a bit too much.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm

lordymosh wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 am
msegarra wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 am
I actually got this module in the end. Pair nicely with Erica Synths Bassline and Noise Engineering BIA. I do find you have to put a filter after the distortion though as sometimes its a bit too much.
trshmstr has that built in :razz: don't sleep on that module because it's old. crank up the gain and it absolutely screams. come to think of it i don't know i've ever pushed that knob past the 3'oclock position... it's nuts.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am

Can confirm nasty: TRSHMSTR, Schlappi 100 grit, Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and my personal favorite.... the ADDAC 603 triple bandpass filter. Yep. x100 gain on all three channels pouring into each other, plus all of that sculpting. I didn't buy it as a dirt box, but that's sure as hell what I've been using it for.
:party:

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:10 am

Klangbau Köln the Tube vca. Very cheap, but best sounding tube distortion in my opinion. Sounds much better
Than the metasonix modules I had..

gegeartist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gegeartist » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Plasma drive and wmd trshmstr are best.

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by Johnnyfive » Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 pm

I returned the VoicAs LedRover - I found the three distortion modes really similar, and it wasn't good for getting any other than very distorted sounds. I played around with gain staging a lot, but I couldn't get a nice light distortion/overdrive. It did sound good running full synth voices through it, but I found it to be much less versatile than I expected given all the different controls. Running guitar loops through it was not good - it sounds really wooly and lacked clarity, like there was a filter on everything even when I had the filter wide open. I've had £30 guitar pedal distortions that sounded better. Obviously just my experience, and it gets love here - maybe I was expecting it to do something it can't! I think I just expected something more versatile and fuller sounding, especially given it's about £200 to buy in the UK.

On the other hand, I've been really impressed with the Takaab D308. I wasn't able to directly compare it to the LedRover, but it fits my needs much better - has a wider range of distortion (i.e. light overdrive to heavy distortion) and the different modes offer notable variation. Not great for preserving low end (e.g. kicks, basslines etc), but the character of the distortion is great. For £70 it's definitely worth trying out.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat May 16, 2020 1:10 pm

i just got a viol ruina as well as a sea ruina from noise engineering. i have to say many of my distortion foot pedals have way more fuzzy aggressive gain. i use both for their filtering options as well as a little distortion that comes with them.

i am currently looking at the god eater animal factory one

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am
Can confirm nasty: TRSHMSTR, Schlappi 100 grit, Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and my personal favorite.... the ADDAC 603 triple bandpass filter. Yep. x100 gain on all three channels pouring into each other, plus all of that sculpting. I didn't buy it as a dirt box, but that's sure as hell what I've been using it for.
You have an example of that usage of the 603? That's exactly the kind of stuff I got curious about as soon as I saw that x100 switch, but there are precious few demos/examples of that module.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat May 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Some I've tried :

Terci Ruina : found it really lackluser, not a great tone, not that crazy either, quite thin.
SSF Autodyne : great crunchy gain, love it, and the compressor is really great as well.
Verbos ATC V1 : most beautiful warm fuzz I've heard, I love it. The rest of the module is equally superb, so that helps. It's not all out distortion though, but still quite capable.
RML Electron Fuzz Custom : Fantastic ! It's huge but what a great module. The cv options really make it shine. Can get totally crazy but there are tons of sweet spots before that + a bypass switch + a wet/dry control. Beautiful sound.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm

had a metasonix rk2 and loved its tone but couldn't stand the high pitched noise it made as long as the input signal wasn't drowning it out with at least 16V ptp amplitude. made it pretty unusable for applications like running kicks into it - would have to control the VCA with an envelope follower. replaced it with an old EHX LPB 2ube with a couple of East German NOS tubes and happy with the substitution

otherwise I really like foh plague bearer in feedback loop with a Polaris (in allpass mode), the random*source serge resonant EQ, and bastl timber

apestate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by apestate » Sat May 16, 2020 2:28 pm

I only owned the strakal brulu so can't really compare, but I enjoy it a lot. Quickly gets screamy though.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm

I consider myself to be a distortion connoisseur and I feel like the question of "favorite" distortion is less interesting than discussing the uses of various forms of saturation and overdrive.

The Erica Synths Plasma Drive is fantastic and completely unique, just as the palette of unusual tubes that Metasonix brings to eurorack. They provide very unique distortion characteristics that one might love or hate, depending on taste. I frequently make them the centerpiece of an overall composition, as their tones are so unmistakable.

The Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz Custom EFCCV has a "classic" fuzz tone, but provides the CV control control of the circuits to offer far more versatility than just about any fuzz guitar pedal. The ZVEX Fuzz Factory has similar array of CV controls but responds with a cleaner, smoother fuzz color.

I have found Erica Synths Fusion VCA and Mixer to be excellent for lighter saturation uses, as they can both provide a sheen of tube non-linearity, significantly warming up an oscillator tone without blasting the signal path with noise.

Personally, I don't find myself drawn to the digital distortions of bit crushing and the lowering of sample rates, but probably just because I'm old and those effects always remind me of the early days of digital when conversion was frequently awkward or the nascent internet was awash with low bit rate MP3s. However, I have certainly heard others use these processes to interesting effect, doing things I never would have thought of.

The wavetable distortions like the WMD Geiger Counter or Audio Damage Shapes (they might both be discontinued now) are both digital wavetable distortions. This is an interesting distortion process that can produce some really cool effects. I find that most of what interests me is happening in the upper frequencies, offering harmonics that can be mixed back in with simple analog oscillator waveforms or just underneath an overdriven version of the sound.

Obviously, I love distortion, but "favorite" is most whichever one I am using at the moment. So currently, I have been exploring the tube module suite offered by Epicycloid Engineering: the Turbo Entubulator and the Voluptron (which are both powered by the Illuminox Prime power supply). The Entubulator is basically a tube VCA, but offers greater control and flexibility than any other tube VCA that I've seen. The thing that really sold me however, was the Voluptron, which is a ladder filter that uses tubes instead of transistors or diodes. I have never heard a filter like it. If you like tube distortion in general, this filter is as beautiful as it is unique. I'm including the Voluptron demo as it is arguably the most unique tube distortion I have discussed. As with most things with tubes in euro, they are expensive. For me, they are well worth the money.

Maybe one could argue that distortion is my favorite audio process, but technically that applies to everything. That being said, I am always happy to discuss how to best use particular distortions or how they differ from each other. I haven't yet tried any of the NuTube stuff, but I very much look forward to it.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Sat May 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Anybody mention XAOC Drezno and Jena? It's a little on the large side, but it really takes the Geiger Counter type sound to the next level. You can get way more subtle sounds out of it compared to other bit-reduction/mangling devices because you can patch any arrangement of bits. Plus the wavetables in Jena are organized in smooth cycles, and there's a mode that scans the incoming pitch and avoids hard-edged bit flops by syncing the bit modifications to the cycle of the wave. And of course the CV-ing the phase is really fantastic.

I also have Dark Matter for analog distortion flavors, but I find myself using Drezno/Jena much more.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sat May 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Has anyone tried a WMD Geiger Counter for eurorack? The guitar pedal always sounded rad.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:11 pm

WMD used to make a euro Geiger Counter. I'm not sure when they stopped making it.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 am

MARK27 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm
(Turbo Entubulator)
Holy shit, why have I not heard of this before? This is almost exactly the module I’ve been wishing for— tube type, patch points, and everything! (In my head the two plates of the beam modulation tube had separate outputs, but whatever.)
Really wish it didn’t require a proprietary power supply though. I have plenty of spare power on tap with my current power supplies and the Voluptron doesn’t interest me since I already have four different tube filters, so the idea of buying an additional $200+ supply just to run a single module isn’t very appetizing to me :despair:

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Sun May 17, 2020 9:09 am

MARK27 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:11 pm
WMD used to make a euro Geiger Counter. I'm not sure when they stopped making it.
We're still manufacturing the Eurorack Geiger Counter, it's just been difficult to keep in stock everywhere!
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm

You have an example of that usage of the 603? That's exactly the kind of stuff I got curious about as soon as I saw that x100 switch, but there are precious few demos/examples of that module.
I do not, though I could make a simple one (not really equipped to do anything but record with my phone). Still exploring it, but it's easy enough to jam something in there and tear it up. I was playing around with it and a Snazzy FX drone bank yesterday.
:party:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

here's TRSHMSTR gunking up braids in meta mode, plus that split off and sent through a polivoks filter then through plague bearer after some spectral smearing by clouds. quite proud of this one, more aggressive than patches i normally make. but it was really fun.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”