Best Euro Distortion modules 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Re: Best Euro Distortion modules 2020

Post by Transistor » Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am
here's TRSHMSTR gunking up braids in meta mode, plus that split off and sent through a polivoks filter then through plague bearer after some spectral smearing by clouds. quite proud of this one, more aggressive than patches i normally make. but it was really fun.

Very nice!

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Any love for the LYRA-8 FX? I'm loving the sound from youtube demos but still a little shy to get one myself

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am
Can confirm nasty: TRSHMSTR, Schlappi 100 grit, Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and my personal favorite.... the ADDAC 603 triple bandpass filter. Yep. x100 gain on all three channels pouring into each other, plus all of that sculpting. I didn't buy it as a dirt box, but that's sure as hell what I've been using it for.
You have an example of that usage of the 603? That's exactly the kind of stuff I got curious about as soon as I saw that x100 switch, but there are precious few demos/examples of that module.
It is as the title suggests, but it's something. :despair:

:party:

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am
Can confirm nasty: TRSHMSTR, Schlappi 100 grit, Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and my personal favorite.... the ADDAC 603 triple bandpass filter. Yep. x100 gain on all three channels pouring into each other, plus all of that sculpting. I didn't buy it as a dirt box, but that's sure as hell what I've been using it for.
You have an example of that usage of the 603? That's exactly the kind of stuff I got curious about as soon as I saw that x100 switch, but there are precious few demos/examples of that module.
It is as the title suggests, but it's something. :despair:

Hey, thanks, any demo is better than no demo! Seems like you had the bandwidth to max so that was basically just the disortion without filtering, right? Three channels of that seems like it could be pretty rad. If I've got the module itch when perfect circuit gets them back in stock, I might have to grab me one.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Sun May 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Yeah, filtering basically shut off. I should note that the 'dry' is what I'm allowing to bleed through on the channel 2 and 3 so I could fully wind the gain on channel 1 without shutting it completely off. When its set to x100 there's really no dry to be had. I didn't crank the other two because it just gets absolutely ridiculous. Though in a day or two I may erase this and start over, this time running a channel by itself, and also go ahead and max it out on all three.

The filtering is really nice, as well. This is one of my favorite modules.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 am
Holy shit, why have I not heard of this before? This is almost exactly the module I’ve been wishing for— tube type, patch points, and everything!
It's been out for a while, but there never was too much hubbub over it. I don't think Doug did much in the way of marketing other than the website and demo videos. Besides, it is a totally niche product that only distortion junkies are likely to dish out for.
Yes Powder wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 am
Really wish it didn’t require a proprietary power supply though. I have plenty of spare power on tap with my current power supplies and the Voluptron doesn’t interest me since I already have four different tube filters, so the idea of buying an additional $200+ supply just to run a single module isn’t very appetizing to me :despair:
I actually prefer the separate power supplies that Epicycloid, Metasonix and Trogotronic make for their tube units. Otherwise, I end up with a single tube module eating up most of the power for a PSU that sports 15-20 euro outlets.

I am curious, though - what other filters do you have that actually use tubes for the ladder? I know that Erica and ADDAC/Gotharman make filters that have tube output stages in them, but they still use transistor or diode ladder circuits for the actual filtering. The Voluptron is the only filter I have ever seen that uses tubes for the actual ladder circuit. It sounds totally different than an otherwise standard transistor/diode ladder filter with a tube stage on (or before) the output.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon May 18, 2020 3:17 pm

MARK27 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I actually prefer the separate power supplies that Epicycloid, Metasonix and Trogotronic make for their tube units. Otherwise, I end up with a single tube module eating up most of the power for a PSU that sports 15-20 euro outlets.
All my PSUs are Doepfer PSU2/PSU3s. Right now I have one PSU3 running a Metasonix R52, R53, R54, R55, R57, RK6, and a Bard Vacuform. (The R55 and Vacuform take most of their power from the 5V line.) My other two PSUs are much less encumbered, so I imagine either should be able to power something like this with little to no problem.
I like the ideas of Metasonix and Trogotronic power supplies, but I really don't like the fact that the Epicycloid modules require a separate proprietary power supply— that costs :75: :75: :75: even if it is theoretically a better method for tube modules.
I am curious, though - what other filters do you have that actually use tubes for the ladder?
None of them are ladder filters. The R52 is a dual Twin-T circuit, the R54 is a Wien Bridge, the RK6 is a simple Sallen-Key design, and the Bard Vacuform is a tube implementation of the Steiner-Parker filter, which I think is also a Sallen-Key design. Considering I also have a Bastl Cinnamon which is not currently in any of my cases, I'm basically filter'd out for a good long while. The Metasonix filters are where I want to be most of the time, and the Bard Vacuform has a much more "traditional" range and sound for when I need it. I heard the Voluptron samples and it does sound good, but that alone isn't going to convince me to buy another filter at this point.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler » Mon May 18, 2020 4:28 pm

I've compared a bunch of distortions and made bake-off videos:

My conclusion is that sometimes a recipe calls for dark chocolate, sometimes for milk chocolate, and sometimes nutella. Just depends.

I will mention one module that doesn't seem to be pointed out above because I think it's great: the ADDAC Gotherman's Tube Filter. Love it. Also still in my active rack: the Metasonix modules, TRSHMSTR, Miasma, Nutone, 100 Grit, PreBX, Pit Viper, and Strakal Brulu. Not saying others are bad, just that those all stood out for me in my comparisons.

I'm actually going to do another vid today that includes the Godeater and a few others. Should be ready tomorrow.

Black_Materia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Black_Materia » Mon May 18, 2020 5:25 pm

It's very tiring to listen to a series of random staccato pitches the whole way through, very hard to make comparisons from one module to the next.
Try to think more about what shows the characteristics of a certain type module best, both the processed input material and how you manipulate it.
This way makes every module sound very same-y. Which is a shame cause you have a vast array of very good modules at your disposition.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:17 pm
I like the ideas of Metasonix and Trogotronic power supplies, but I really don't like the fact that the Epicycloid modules require a separate proprietary power supply— that costs $$$ even if it is theoretically a better method for tube modules.
Yeah, actually I'm with you there. For myself, the Epicycloid stuff made sense to get as a suite of modules, but in general, I am always advocating for offering people as much choice as possible. The Trogo stuff lets you power the module either way and it would be nice if the Epicycloid stuff did as well. I get why he made the choices he did, but everyone has their own ideas about how they want their euro system to work and appear.

And yes, you do sound well filtered!

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Tue May 19, 2020 1:36 am

I'm looking for a good distortion module and just bought the Ledrover. Overall I like the sound but some things are not as I would hope they would be.

For instance, I have to crank the input and distortion level way up high to get a good fat distortion. I don't mind it not being overly heavy. Once I had the Geigercounter and returned it because it smashed everything to smithereens. Cool if you like that but not what I'm looking for. The Ledrover is maybe a bit too soft.

I'd had hoped to use the CV input for creative uses but maybe also because I have to crank the input and distortion level up so high, the outputlevel changes a lot when changing CV. It does work okayish on a certain setting but let's be honest. You buy this stuff in Euro for it's ability to (be) modulate(d). If it doesn't do that in an excellent way I might be just as well off with a 60e guitar pedal.

I also think it's quite flimsy. The pots feel very loose and wobbly. When paying over 200e I really want a good tactile experience.

I think I'll return it to the store but would like some other module with as good a tone as the Ledrover (the bass-switch is really useful by the way), but without the negatives outlined above.

noobyist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by noobyist » Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 am

Distortion is all about input level. If your input level is below the saturation threshold, no distortion (I know, it's simplified but basically, that's how it works). That's why you may need to crank the level way up...

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Tue May 19, 2020 3:53 am

noobyist wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 am
Distortion is all about input level. If your input level is below the saturation threshold, no distortion (I know, it's simplified but basically, that's how it works). That's why you may need to crank the level way up...
You're right and I understand the theory. Maybe there's some module that levels the output automatically so it's real easy to modulate distortion amount without affecting the output level too much?

noobyist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by noobyist » Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 am

nodog wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:53 am
noobyist wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 am
You're right and I understand the theory. Maybe there's some module that levels the output automatically so it's real easy to modulate distortion amount without affecting the output level too much?
Some modules may compensate for that (compression, auto-gain...) You could also patch two VCAs, one at the input and the other at the output, driven by the same CV but inverted at the output.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Tue May 19, 2020 4:11 pm

I have 100 Grit and I just love it. But I'm very intrigued by Nutone.

I wanted to know from owners about it.

Skuggasveinn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skuggasveinn » Wed May 20, 2020 5:43 am

I really like the plasma drive, tho feel I must feed a very low ammount of the signal into it or it gets nuts. Usually put my signal into a mixer and then take out low output and put in the PD. I feel using the dry/wet button does not get the same ammount of taming.

Shadewe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shadewe » Wed May 20, 2020 6:54 am

Skuggasveinn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:43 am
I really like the plasma drive, tho feel I must feed a very low ammount of the signal into it or it gets nuts. Usually put my signal into a mixer and then take out low output and put in the PD. I feel using the dry/wet button does not get the same ammount of taming.
Would you recommend the plasma drive? It's on my radar, curious about it from a user.

Skuggasveinn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skuggasveinn » Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am

Shadewe wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:54 am
Skuggasveinn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:43 am
Would you recommend the plasma drive? It's on my radar, curious about it from a user.
I admit I don't have any other distortion modules to compare it to since PD was my first. I didn't us it much to begin with because it felt so extreme. I think the key to the Plasma Drive is CV-ing the dry/wet input to tame the signal coming in, and then perhaps doing some cleanup with a HP filter on the outgoing signal.

Unless of course you want all hell braking loose, then it's definitly the module for you :)

Shadewe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shadewe » Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 am

Skuggasveinn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am
I admit I don't have any other distortion modules to compare it to since PD was my first. I didn't us it much to begin with because it felt so extreme. I think the key to the Plasma Drive is CV-ing the dry/wet input to tame the signal coming in, and then perhaps doing some cleanup with a HP filter on the outgoing signal.

Unless of course you want all hell braking loose, then it's definitly the module for you :)
To be honest, I do want at least one module for 'all hell breaking loose', so your answer looks promising. Plus, my daughter loves the idea of playing music on a lightning bolt.

Skuggasveinn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skuggasveinn » Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 am

Shadewe wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 am
Skuggasveinn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am

To be honest, I do want at least one module for 'all hell breaking loose', so your answer looks promising. Plus, my daughter loves the idea of playing music on a lightning bolt.

hehe then she will love it. The plasma lightning looks even better in person :)

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 am

I love how Serge by R*S Wave Multipliers do this. Not a distortion by itself but...
BC / MG / IG / YT

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 am

jschussler wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:28 pm
I've compared a bunch of distortions and made bake-off videos:
Great work! Thank you!
BC / MG / IG / YT

jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler » Wed May 20, 2020 11:16 pm

Finished another comparison. Modules in this one:

Mystic Circuits Portal
Erica Synths VC Amplifier
Animal Factory Amplification Godeater
Erica Synths Drive
Bizarre Jezebel Chloe
Verbos Amp & Tone

The Godeater has an amazing tone. Super meaty, but with lots of opportunity for nuance.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm

appreciate the effort jschussler but I think the comparisons would be a lot more informative if the audio you ran through all these distortions you have were already dynamic (eg VCA before the distortion) and already had low harmonic content (closer to sine or tri than already squared). simple bass drums work really well to tell the character of a distortion, IMO. just my 2c

jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler » Thu May 21, 2020 12:20 am

Crap, just realized I completely forgot to run the drums through these. Whups. Did that on some of the earlier ones, forgot this time.

The source audio is a saw wave, not square. Got dinged on that one earlier, so have been careful to stay away from squares. I'll try going even simpler next time, maybe tri.

Interesting idea about VCA first. I'll try that for the next batch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”