triatt quadratt alternatives?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

intafon
Common Wiggler

triatt quadratt alternatives?

Post by intafon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Ok, so I really just wanted to avoid having a "what is the best ____" thread, but that is basically what this is. :D

I recently moved and am moving over to a pittsburgh modular case and potentially selling my Intellijel performance case (I don't travel or play out with the modular, and I currently have that and a mantis which makes an efficient workspace a problem). I have a steppy, a zero scope, and a quadratt in my 1U row -- I can honestly do without the steppy and the zero scope (or get the 3U versions), but I was wondering if there was a good alternative out there to the quadratt (other than of course the triatt, which i think is discontinued).

I mainly use it for attenuating and signal and adding voltage (input into input 1 and output from output2, for example, where one does the attenuation and the other does the additional voltage). I love the number of available channels in the thing, but would also like a module that would let me subtract as well as add voltage. I think there was a WMD module that does this duty, though I can't remember which one I'm thinking of.

Any others? (other than Maths :D)

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: triatt quadratt alternatives?

Post by Blairio » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:13 pm

MI Shades does what a Triatt does. I have both and use them interchangeably. However, Shades has bi-coloured LEDS to indicate signal polarity and strength, which makes it a bit more useful.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 pm

Get the updated Triatt, the Triplatt. Lots of new features, LEDs, etc.

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/triplatt/
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Happy Nerding MIA

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 am

Frap Tools 321.
It has 3 channels - each channel can both scale from 0 to +6dB and invert, has two LEDs for + and - signal, an invert polarity switch, and then it has a full mix out, and a unpatched out (a mix of any channel that doesn't have a cable in it's output).
Quadratt and Triplatt need two channels to do an attenuate+invert - which means you can only manage two signals at a time. I have a Quadratt, but the 321 is way beyond.
Happy Nerding 3xMIA can do scale+invert on each of three channels, but for the same money - 321 has a few more options - and is a gorgeous module.

http://frap.tools/products/321/

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:33 am

Erogenous LEVIT8?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 am

Adding SISM, Samara and A138m to the list.

Edit: Also, you can achieve the offset+attenuated signal thing with just one channel of Blinds.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:51 am

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions! I think, though the Xaoc Devices modules are highly attractive to me, MI Blinds or the Frap Tools 321 are going to be the candidates, actually leaning more toward Blinds. :yay:

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:21 am

There's also the SSF S.P.O. It's 2 channels rather than 3, but only 4hp.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 pm

noisewreck wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:22 pm
Happy Nerding MIA
THIS !

happy nerding 3xMIA and never look back to anything else.
i had a similar thread going, asking for a replacement of the Triatt.
i bought a triplatt, gonna sell it now, ...and two 3xMIAs,
and now i exchange *all* modules of that type with 3x MIAs.
ther is no competition to the 3xMIA.
one just has to adapt to it. Then its super flexible and super "jammable" ( the upper knob)
edit: i also have a blinds, invy, sism, beside traitt and triplatt.
edit2: yeah, the frap tools 321 looks good also / personally i would not want to replace a mia with it, can say this just from looking at my screen)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

danfastlikeflan
Common Wiggler

Post by danfastlikeflan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm

If you are into DIY there is also cascade which has leds and can add gain as well as all the other cascading mixing/atteuverting all in only 4hp. DivKid did a good video on it.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:48 pm

I have a 3xMIA and a 321 and I use the MIA more often, the bigger controls and the ability to mix more channels makes it really handy. The 321 has the advantage of precision - inversion is switched and the offset can be switched off so you can easily get to 0v whereas with the 3xMIA you have to carefully center both knobs to get that.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Another vote for the 3xMIA, especially (but not only) for the offset + scale functionality mentioned by the OP. I have at least one in every case, and will continue to buy more as my system expands.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm

I'll add to the choir: I'm an Intellijel fan, but I have no regrets from replacing my Triplatt with a 3x MIA, and I've since made room for another. It's a terrific voltage-sculpting utility.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 am

Wow, big surge for the MIA -- will take another look at it. Out of curiosity -- are the left side LEDs on the MIA representative of the sum of the incoming A and B signals (and the right the sum of the out)?

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:18 pm

intafon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 am
Wow, big surge for the MIA -- will take another look at it. Out of curiosity -- are the left side LEDs on the MIA representative of the sum of the incoming A and B signals (and the right the sum of the out)?
No, the left and right LEDs just indicate negative/positive (left/right) polarity on the total mix for that channel. I recall that the left LED is blue and the right is green. If you put a 10Vpp sine wave into input A on channel 1, with input B zeroed out on the attenuverter, you'll see the channel 1 LEDs fade out from left/blue to right/green and back again as the voltage cycles through negative and positive. But then, for example, if you crank up the input B attenuverter to give it a full +5V offset, you'll only see the positive/right/green LED fade in and out (the negative/left/blue LED remains dark) as the channel's output cycles between 0 and +10V.

KMAbrams
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KMAbrams » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Just picked up a neutron sound QAT FROM Michigan synth works. Basically a smaller format Lapsus Os. Really useful module and doesn’t take up a lot of space and is also switchable between linear and exponential response. Also the price is right. The pre and post mix outputs are super interesting as well.

https://michigansynthworks.com/products ... tenuverter

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:21 am

For me, MISO from Tiptop wins. 4 channels of attenuation/attenuvertion along with positive/negative offset. Even better though are the additional 3 outs that combine channels in different ways. So 7 outs in 10hp for $100. Bargain.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:32 am

3xMIA is my favorite for mixing and offset, triatt/triplatt is my favorite if i want to be able to turn anything to ZERO fast and easy.
samara lives besides a batumi and i see it basically as a really nice expander, those two are meant to be together imho ;D

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:47 am

studioutopia wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 am
Frap Tools 321.
It has 3 channels - each channel can both scale from 0 to +6dB and invert, has two LEDs for + and - signal, an invert polarity switch, and then it has a full mix out, and a unpatched out (a mix of any channel that doesn't have a cable in it's output).
Awesome. I was just about to order a Triplatt and have now ordered one of these instead - thanks!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Return to “Eurorack Modules”