Ambient - starter eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

clapclap
Wiggling with Experience

Ambient - starter eurorack

Post by clapclap » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 pm

I've been synthing for many years now but have started to feel modular may be real. I have a Juno 60, Pro One, Juno 106, Digitakt, and DSI Evolver module, and a Kenton Midi to CV converter. I actually had more synths but have decided less is more for me. I'm thinking of selling the Juno 106 since there's a lot of crossover with the 60 and possibly sell the Evolver.

Since I have some really nice classic synths, I don't really feel the need to make another with modular. However, I find that I've found some really cool ambient sounds on modular. Does anyone have any cases and modules that would be fun for me to start with something like this to compliment the synths I already have?

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Re: Ambient - starter eurorack

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:05 am

ive just decided to add the doepfer spring reverb in my first eurorack rig.
There's an open feedback loop which is incredible!!

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Look at AJH WaveSwarm for big swirly sounds and their Entropic Doom Noisillator for moody vague sounds.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:53 am

buy a decent sized case - 6u/ 104hp is a good starter size

the reason for this is that in most cases most people outgrow a single row of modules very quickly and buying 2 small cases is way more expensive than buying a single larger case for the same hp

especially once they realise that sound sources, sound modifiers and modulation sources are not the only necessary modules - utilities are not an option, they are a necessity - the dull polish that makes the shiny modules even shinier - they are not just for audio but for cv too

but a good starting point is

a sound source (vco)
a sound modifier (filter/effect)
a modulation source (lfo/looping envelope generator)
a mixer (unless you have one already that you can use)
a cv/gate keyboard or sequencer

I usually also suggest

disting mk4 - swiss army knife - helps to understand what different modules do and stand in as necessary
a quad cascading vca - this may also be used as a mixer - I prefer mutable instruments veils, but the intellijel one is good too - these 2 especially as they are voltage controlled amplifiers - not attenuators, which most are
mutable links and kinks - a utility starter set powerhouse - a buffered mult, 2 utility mixers, a basic waveshaper (rectifier), a comparator and a sample and hold in 8 hp - can't knock them really

clapclap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by clapclap » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestion so far. One question, do you think my external Kenton Midi to CV kit will be necessary in a eurorack setup if I go this route? I basically used it previously for my Pro One but now it has midi.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”