Biggest reasons you sell your gear?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dip_registered
Learning to Wiggle

Biggest reasons you sell your gear?

Post by dip_registered » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm

Hey,

This is a fairly open ended question. What are the biggest reasons you sell your modules?

Eg, you want new gear and need to swap it out to make room? You need the cash? You didn’t research about what you needed / realized you didn’t need it? Had other modules that could do the same task and more? You re-directed your sound design / musical tastes and didn’t need some of your modules? You just didn’t like the gear you got?

Just want any general discussion - I’m spending money on a setup now and was curious as to whether the decisions I’m making are going to work out, and what some of the more common reasons for people buying and selling again! (Whether it was straight after a purchase or years, doesn’t really matter).

Cheers!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Biggest reasons you sell your gear?

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:25 pm

There is always one and only one reason; I’m done with it. I’ve used it as much as I’d ever want to and I never want to use it again.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Concentration. The only modules I've got rid of because I didn't like them were ones with modes and/or screens. It turns out I don't want to have to deal with that in modular. Otherwise all of them have been great but right now I'm all about having a smaller group of instruments that do a lot and work within their constraints. So I stripped down my Euro to 6U/94HP and I'm really getting into it rather than wondering if I should swap modules or add a case. It's really helped in concentrating on music and sound rather than options.

ynth
You're a gazelle

Post by ynth » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Speaking for myself here in Guitar Center USA, there aren't Analogue Havens or Schneidersladens nearby, nor are there many synth enthusiasts. I can get an idea from videos or discussions whether or not an instrument is something I'd want, but there's nothing like hands-on (ears-on?) trial & error. Some things are golden, some not so much - they tend to get sold.
:moneyburn:

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm

i usually sell stuff i dont use much to buy something i will hopefully use more

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 pm

IEC wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm
i usually sell stuff i dont use much to buy something i will hopefully use more
this, if it collects dust then it goes out the door and makes room for something that hopefully does not ;)

i want a collection of nice toys and tools not a museum ^^

in 9 out of 10 times its a user interface thing, i buy because sound&techspecs but if its no fun to use i wont keep it around for long, it has to have both.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm

ynth wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm
Speaking for myself here in Guitar Center USA, there aren't Analogue Havens or Schneidersladens nearby, nor are there many synth enthusiasts. I can get an idea from videos or discussions whether or not an instrument is something I'd want, but there's nothing like hands-on (ears-on?) trial & error. Some things are golden, some not so much - they tend to get sold.
Same here. It's generally cheaper for me to buy a module, decide I don't like it, and resell it than it is for me to travel someplace where I can try it in advance. Also, having it in my own rack means I can try it in with my other gear, in the context of the music I want to make, and for as long as I want to. There's no better test than that.

I've sold gear because:

-- I didn't like using it after the initial excitement wore off.
-- I thought I had a better option. (Often, I was right... sometimes not, but I learned from the experience either way.)
-- It was great but not really necessary/helpful for the music I wanted to make.
-- My goals changed and I wanted to focus on something else (at the beginning, the focus was simply "try new things")
-- Wanting to consolidate/focus and get rid of some redundancy.

Very few regrets over any of it. A couple modules I repurchased later. A couple of them I miss, but can't find a way to work in to my current setup without giving up something else that's working well for me.

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm

For me:

1.Upgrade

2.the style of what I'm doing has changed and things don't fit

3.another module will do it better or take up less space (I keep it to one case)

4.new perspective, some times having something presented in a new way can open up new ways of thinking.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm continually changing my approach to building patches. Sometimes I might use a module for several years before thinking about selling it. I might decide I'm not using it much or not using enough of its features. I sell to keep the number of modules on the shelf to a minimum and to get some money for more.

I keep track both of the modules I have sold (31 so far in Eurorack alone), and the 'on the shelf' modules (currently 9). The ones on the shelf are those that don't fit well into my current racks, but which I still like enough to keep and will probably use again.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:10 pm

I don’t sell my gear.

I was never clever enough to know exactly what I really needed, and certainly never clever enough to know I didn’t need it anymore.

Don’t miss any of it, because I still have it.

Maybe a cop out, but hey ho.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Done with it or need some extra cash.
THUMPR BC SC

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm

I sold my Just Friends and E352 to finance a wedding ring. True story! Just over a year now and I've bought them both back :hihi:

There are modules I've sold because I was not using them often, only to buy back because I thought of ways I could integrate it better into my rack (Tides for example)
There are modules I've bought and sold, and bought again and sold again because there was something I missed about them, but kept having to be reminding I wasn't enjoying the experience (Disting mk3, for example)
And modules that I just didn't gel with for better or for worse, that I doubt I would buy back again (Hermod, for example)

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:23 pm

Haven't found a big enough reason - so haven't sold any yet.

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Breezewax » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:44 pm

MarcelP wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:23 pm
Haven't found a big enough reason - so haven't sold any yet.

Same although Ive done copious research on each one I have bought, I have probably 10 modules outside of my current 25 that are racked.
If I had the space I would probably have them all loaded.

There are two that I will probably sell/replace with modules that have newer better capabilities.

Basterdman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basterdman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 pm

Many reasons,

In the past when I started was because I was finding my voice. So would buy and sell like mad until it fit my workflow.

Currently selling nearly everything as we just bought a house and are doing a ton of remodeling as well as transitioning to a new job and needing to return my leased vehicle. So picking up a cheaper semi modular to get me by as the funds from selling can be used in a bigger picture.

I am keeping my case and power as I know the ebb and flow

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Post by MoogCloud » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 am

Perhaps a common reason = to acquire different gear. I hit a point in late 2018 when the ratio of my number of modules, to number of modules being heavily used indicated that I needed to spend more time with what I already had rather than succumb to GAS. This improved my use of modules but it also indicated there were modules that needed to go. I made a vow that all purchases would be made from “old money”, that is money spent on existing gear. This revved up my decision engine and increased my ruthless weeding out of unused modules. It worked for a year! I never spent a dime not already spent. After a while I became pretty good at selling on Reverb. :guinness:
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:02 am

To make room and to fund a module I think would be better than something I already have for whatever reason, or just try something new because I’m board with a module.
Too many times I’ve sold something just to buy it back again though...
Last edited by brandonlogic on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 am

ynth wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm
:moneyburn:
I can very much relate to this. My inclination to sell is also a driven by changes in my approach and system generally.

Basterdman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basterdman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 am

another reason was i dedicated to stay in a 6u for a year. really push a case.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 am

If after a while I’ve never been able to bond with a piece of gear then it’s gone. On the other hand once I bond with a piece of gear it stays forever.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:02 am

1. Modules that dont save state on power cycle. Manufacturers are much better in this regards now, but there are still some guilty parties. I dont have a big system, but its big enough that i dont want to have to consult a notebook everytime i switch it on/off.

2. Unintuitive interfaces. A common topic that we discuss here on muffs. Enough said.

3. Upgrade. Things just get better and better in euroland!

msboude
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msboude » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Once you sell or throw something away, you are gunna need it or want it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 pm

msboude wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Once you sell or throw something away, you are gunna need it or want it.
I've sold 104 modules at this point. I bought 4 of them back, and then resold 2 of those a second time.

There's just one module I'd like to have again, but I don't really need it, nor do I have the space or power for it.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 pm

I only sell gear to buy other gear lol

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Lately it has been guilt. I have more gear than I typically use. I have done gigs recently with less than half of my cabinets. I just got a Nord Modular to sit next to my Nord G2. I just feel I can't justify the gear I have acquired over the years. I use to say to myself that I needed stuff to demo Synthwerks modules with, but I really don't need as much as I have now. I have sold off a bunch, but there is more to go.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Eurorack Modules”