Are Doepfer PSUs drop-in replacements?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

prune
Learning to Wiggle

Are Doepfer PSUs drop-in replacements?

Post by prune » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:49 am

Does anyone know if the Doepfer power supplies PSU2 and PSU3 are drop in replacements for each other - i.e. do they have the same screw hole locations? I have a case with a PSU2 that I'd like to replace with a PSU3 and I want to know if I'm gonna have to drill my case to accommodate it

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Re: Are Doepfer PSUs drop-in replacements?

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:14 am

Your answer is written here: http://www.doepfer.de/a100z_e.htm

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm

They do have the same spacing for the standoffs but that is not all that needs to be considered. I have two old P6 cabinets that are the 85HP ones with PS1 supplies in them (the 600mA ones). I replaced them with PS3 supplies and though the hole spacing matched, the PS3 PCB hung over the internal section of the aluminum extrusions used to form the cabinet. I had to insulate that section from the PS. That is the thing you need to check - the overall PCB size relative to the hole placement.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Same point as ersatzplanet's post, different case:

I bought a used A-100G6 (6U rack case) that was missing its power supply (originally PSU2) and the hole pattern was the same but the location wouldn't work, because the PSU3 power supply board collided with the power inlet — apparently this is Version 1 of the A-100B84P back panel with "snap-in version of the mains inlet" as http://www.doepfer.de/a100z_e.htm puts it.

So, I made a jig to drill a new hole pattern 10 mm offset from the existing holes, and that made room. (I also had to make a wiring cover — it's possible that the stock A-100PCS would have worked, but I didn't find a US source for it so I made one on my 3D printer instead.)

Or, if your case is also a G6 you could buy a new A-100B84P back panel.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:44 pm

In case you want to stay with a linear supply, the Erica Synths V2 2.5A supply is a direct replacement for a Doepfer PSU2 (Same standoff footprint)
Its a kit though, but easy to put together if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”