Homemade Eurorack Case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JeremyIsADeadHead
Learning to Wiggle

Homemade Eurorack Case

Post by JeremyIsADeadHead » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:37 am

6F0AA4DE-C642-4351-ABBA-208909F6A09D.jpeg
6A30A6C9-32EA-4E24-9816-406D08EF0C89.jpeg
B8DA181F-A36A-473F-A22F-A75A98E7395A.jpeg
659BD585-39C3-4651-B0DF-056FCFD3B443.jpeg
79A870E8-4CBD-4263-A159-1417F17CD0BF.jpeg
Hey Guys,
I finished building my first Eurorack Case. I’m currently building 2 for my buddies, and
1). Got any recommendations on how to make my next version better
2). Would anyone want to buy one or do you have any insight on the Eurorack case market

Couple things to add
1). There’s going to be another row of rails, but I didn’t have enough nuts so I haven’t put it in yet.
2). The dimensions are approximately 24” wide, 16” deep, and the depth are 4.5” and 5.5”
3). There’s a total of 232 hp
4). It weighs 20 lbs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aokjoey0
Common Wiggler

Re: Homemade Eurorack Case

Post by aokjoey0 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am

Trippy!!! And very practical for your set up. Well done!
Joe Nastasi aka Apogee Kick!
Musician
Ultralight and Light Sport Aviator
My YouTube Channel
http://soundcloud.com/apogee-kick/unrea ... s-con-brio

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am

That is an unbelievable paint job! Please tell us how you did it!

Did you start with some kind of box or suitcase?

JeremyIsADeadHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeremyIsADeadHead » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 pm

jorg wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am
That is an unbelievable paint job! Please tell us how you did it!

Did you start with some kind of box or suitcase?
It’s all wood held together by glue and 8 metal braces. Hence why it’s so light.

The cosmos inside is all high quality spray paint, and the outside is a funnel pour mechanism that I engineered. I did it three times. One for the handle side, and twice for the two largest faces. The excess paint slide off the two large faces on the sides.

I’m going to being selling the next 2 of 4 I make on reverb

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Very cool. Really like the whole concept. Congratulations on your build!
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Beautiful work. The paint is amazing. I might steal that concept someday for one of my cases which I had dyed and was going to woodburn but then the dye didn't set well.

I've built two suitcase-style cases from plywood. The primary difference between them is that I used take apart hinges, so that when you open the box the two sides come apart.

I don't really like using straps to hold it open, seems like a recipe for disaster. Another option you might consider is stop-hinges. The purpose of a stop-hinge is that it stops at a certain angle. You'd need to find ones that could bear the weight of the case. And I'd still be worried about it getting knocked or shaken and slamming shut.

Have you tested the balance of the case when it's weighed down by modules? Is there going to be something more in the bottom to ensure it doesn't tip over? I'd be a bit concerned about the force applied when it's being patched. It's an issue with my cases too.

The way you did the lid is interesting, with the overhang and the open bottom.

Nice work!

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 pm

That is a great paint job. Are you planning to add clear lacquer or varnish over it? It would be a shame for the finish to get chipped.

Do you plan to install a power supply into the case, or will the power be external?

JeremyIsADeadHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeremyIsADeadHead » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Blairio wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 pm
That is a great paint job. Are you planning to add clear lacquer or varnish over it? It would be a shame for the finish to get chipped.

Do you plan to install a power supply into the case, or will the power be external?
I put on a decent amount of clear coat
And yeah. I actually got a wood cylinder drill tip with a guide. I bought an outlet that similar to one you put on the side of the house or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079M6BC ... asin_title

I haven’t put it in because i want to practice on scrap wood first

JeremyIsADeadHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeremyIsADeadHead » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:06 am

Whelm wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm
Beautiful work. The paint is amazing. I might steal that concept someday for one of my cases which I had dyed and was going to woodburn but then the dye didn't set well.

I've built two suitcase-style cases from plywood. The primary difference between them is that I used take apart hinges, so that when you open the box the two sides come apart.

I don't really like using straps to hold it open, seems like a recipe for disaster. Another option you might consider is stop-hinges. The purpose of a stop-hinge is that it stops at a certain angle. You'd need to find ones that could bear the weight of the case. And I'd still be worried about it getting knocked or shaken and slamming shut.

Have you tested the balance of the case when it's weighed down by modules? Is there going to be something more in the bottom to ensure it doesn't tip over? I'd be a bit concerned about the force applied when it's being patched. It's an issue with my cases too.

The way you did the lid is interesting, with the overhang and the open bottom.

Nice work!

They’re car battery straps. Really durable and strong. As long as it stays in compression, it won’t tip. If you have any machines in the front, it produces a substantial amount of weight to prevent rotation. (Force)x(distance)=rotational force
The point of rotation is about 1 inch from the back, so

Weight making contact with the floor * about the distance to the centroid of the bottom body must be larger than the summation of weight suspended above the hinge and below the hinge that is on the other side of the contact with the floor *the distance from the centroid of mass
So about (10 lb)*(1.3 ft)/2>>>(10lb)(1/6 ft)

One flaw is that if someone pumps it from behind, and the ropes go out of compression, it will close shut. I plan on adding a thin layer of rubber on the ends.

But even then, it only weighs about 10 lbs rotating 90 degrees over about 16 inches

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 am

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds like you're pretty confident it won't tip, so :tu:

DubplateDerek
Common Wiggler

Post by DubplateDerek » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 am

Wild paint!

Two things :

1 - it looks like the panel which ends up horizontal at the very top when the case is open hinders access to the top row or modules. Isn't that the case (no pun intended)? If your eye level is above that panel, you can't see inside?!

2 - the place where the case will suffer the most chips and knocks is on the edges. You've used corner protectors, but it's a good idea to supplement these with edge profile; either aluminium or plastic. Look at flight cases photos of flight cases to see what I mean. Of course, using such a thing will interrupt the flow of your paint between panels, do perhaps it's an aesthetic decision on your part to trade this extra protection to maintain the look of the paint?
Cases and side panels for all sorts of modular and other stuff :

www.gouldcaseworks.nl

www.instagram.com/gould_case_works

JeremyIsADeadHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeremyIsADeadHead » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:24 pm

DubplateDerek wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 am
Wild paint!

Two things :

1 - it looks like the panel which ends up horizontal at the very top when the case is open hinders access to the top row or modules. Isn't that the case (no pun intended)? If your eye level is above that panel, you can't see inside?!

2 - the place where the case will suffer the most chips and knocks is on the edges. You've used corner protectors, but it's a good idea to supplement these with edge profile; either aluminium or plastic. Look at flight cases photos of flight cases to see what I mean. Of course, using such a thing will interrupt the flow of your paint between panels, do perhaps it's an aesthetic decision on your part to trade this extra protection to maintain the look of the paint?
It’s not a problem when you’re 5’ 6” lol. Also, i have lights i plan on installing that complaints the cosmic background, but haven’t yet because I haven’t put in the power supply yet.

I actually bought plastic corner guards, but I was afraid of damaging a wall more than i was about damaging the case

Return to “Eurorack Modules”