LFO Choice

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ISZebra
Learning to Wiggle

LFO Choice

Post by ISZebra » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi all,

A small question. I am looking to add an LFO. Well, actually, it seems to make sense to add several and to this end I quite like the Xaoc Batumi. Does anyone have any strong views here or are there other quad oscillators that anyone recommends that I check out as well.

Thanks

ISZ

wvrm
Learning to Wiggle

Re: LFO Choice

Post by wvrm » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Hard to go wrong with a Batumi. It was one of my first modules and still is useful in almost every patch I make.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:51 pm

the only (currently in production) quad lfo that might top my batumi for power and immediacy is the kermit mk3, which I don't have yet but suspect might end up replacing my batumi's roles in my 7u system.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:08 pm

I have a Batumi as well, with a Poti, and I will also sing its praises. It does what it needs to do extremely well, and the interface is clean and immediate. It's one of those "never leave my rack" modules. I also recommend considering the Batumi "Expert" firmware. My personal feelings on it are slightly mixed, as it convolutes the interface slightly, but being able to get different kinds of random waveforms is fantastic.

Re: alternatives, there are cyclic envelope generators such as Maths and Quadrax that can function as LFOs, so having an extra one of these allows it to fill either duty as needed.

shockletit
Common Wiggler

Post by shockletit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:20 pm

I got a Xaoc Batumi/Poti expander after using Quadrature in Ornament and Crime for about a year as my sole LFO source. You might also want to check out O&C, although not solely a quad LFO. I found that although it is more limited in some ways - you stuck in quadrature mode with all LFOs on same waveform, there are more waveforms to chose from in O&C and you can attenuate within the module itself (again, same attenuation to all four waveforms, but saves a VCA/attenuator in your patch). I also found that visually being able to see the waveforms quite appealing somehow and the fact that you can XOR and AND the waveforms against each other offered some really interesting modulation. You can read up on Quadrature's features on the O&C site in the firmware section.

I haven't explored the expert firmware on the Batumi, yet, but based on comment above from megarat I might do. Having said that though, since I got Batumi, I use Quatrature less and less for LFOs.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:21 pm

ISZebra wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm
Hi all,

A small question. I am looking to add an LFO. Well, actually, it seems to make sense to add several and to this end I quite like the Xaoc Batumi. Does anyone have any strong views here or are there other quad oscillators that anyone recommends that I check out as well.

Thanks

ISZ
- Intellijel Quadrax if you want tons of features
- DivKid/Instruo Ochd if you don't
- I guess Batumi is a good middle-of-the-road choice

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Stages is a good option, each channel can become a syncable LFO with different waveforms.

Benoist
Common Wiggler

Post by Benoist » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Also 2 Eowave's zone B.F.
A jumper in the back allows rate CV in the sync inputs

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:47 pm

+1 for Batumi

You might also want and Ochd, sooner or later.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Batumi is the boring answer but there really isn’t any other quad LFO with such a compact and still intuitive user interface.

If you like your LFOs tempo synched then Pamela’s New Workout is unbeatable.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 pm

+1 for Stages as well, especially if you're just starting out and may wind up wanting/needing some extra/redundant functions, because Stages is also capable of several configurations of envelopes, slew etc in addition to up to six LFOs.

Also it just came out (hard to get still in fact) but the IME Kermit mkIII appears to be absolutely incredible and definitely is worth a look (Scott just hosted an hour-long talk about / demoing it). In a sentence, wavetables as LFOs + they work/sound/track excellent as oscillators + one-shot envelopes + tempo sample and hold + uploadable waveforms via SDcard + internal mod matrix. And yes it's quad of all that, it's truly next-level I think, like the Zadar of LFOs.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Batumi's great, but there are other flavours.

Pamela's is a powerhouse of LFO and clocking and earns a spot in almost any rack. WMD/SSF's Modbox is great too- two tempo-synced LFOs (different types), noise source and sample and hold in what, 6HP? Modbox is very wiggle-able though a little more of a free spirit- not at home to Herr Doktor Reset.

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Tete + Tetrapad for LFO and more.

With Tete you can do so much. I have Stages, Batumi and would rather use Tete + Tetrapad combo.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 am

Doh! I can't believe I forgot Pam. Yeah ... Pamela's New Workout functions as a pretty great LFO, especially if you need the LFOs synched to a master clock. Pam's interface isn't as immediate as that of Batumi, but it's not a deal-breaker with me.

ISZebra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ISZebra » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:38 am

Thanks all - looks like the Batumi is a good choice but I will take a look at the others mentioned as well.

Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Risc_Terilia » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:08 am

I'd like to second that modbox is a great dual LFO. Also the MFB one is another good WYSIWYG type with voltage control, sync and crossmod also in 6 hp.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 am

lisa wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:23 pm
Batumi is the boring answer but there really isn’t any other quad LFO with such a compact and still intuitive user interface.

If you like your LFOs tempo synched then Pamela’s New Workout is unbeatable.
Keeping my Batumi next to my clock-dividers works out to be very useful for me. The reset input on each channel will tempo-sync, so it is quite easy to configure both synced and free running LFOs at the same time. I also happen to like the 3 simultaneous outputs per channel, it's very intuitive and patchable this way. Also, if you load the 'expert' firmware on Batumi you can even attenuate the input/output levels directly from the module. I recommend using the Poti expander, you can diy your own and make it very small (I made a 1U 2HP poti, and it serves the purpose without taking up valuable space).

If you find Batumi to be boring, you probably aren't digging deep enough. XAOC really outdid themselves with this module, it's just brilliant.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:10 am

OH.. I forgot to add..

Don't forget that Maths also makes a very awesome unipolar LFO. I find it to be bread and butter. If you don't already have one, it is surprisingly hard to beat the functionality/space - even though it takes 20HP. Many modules have tried, only to sacrifice patch-abiilty or immediacy.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 am

cg_funk wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 am
If you find Batumi to be boring, you probably aren't digging deep enough. XAOC really outdid themselves with this module, it's just brilliant.
Oh, I like it! My post was mostly praise, no? It’s just a boring suggestion because it’s the most obvious suggestion (as is PNW). Batumi is absolutely dominant in the compact, user friendly, free running quad LFO section.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:53 am

Funny to see this thread as I was just about to post one very similar.

I have a Batumi plus a 2hp Poti expander and am considering swapping it out for a second uO_C running hemispheres (I already have one running the stock firmware). There are two LFO apps in there which look pretty decent though one of them only goes down to 0.1hz - can't find any info on the slowest rate of the other.

The main reason is to save me 4hp of space but (and I know I'm in the minority here) I'm not finding I 'gel' with Batumi 100%. It was one of the first modules I bought and I absolutely love the build quality and aesthetics but some things annoy me (I have the 'expert firmware' installed)

- It doesn't remember the 'zoom' settings when it's been turned off
- The 'sync' input goes out of phase (better to use 'reset' but then you have to sync the LFO shape manually)
- As I now own Pam's New Workout I can use that for most synced LFO duties anyway
- You have to use the 'zoom' interface to get very slow modulations
- The 'assgn' shape is set across all channels. This is my main bugbear actually, I find it really annoying - particularly when triangle is one of the 'assgn' shapes. It means you can't use a triangle and ramp up/down at the same time.
- I find the overall UI obtuse and keep having to refer to cheat sheets. It's easy to make mistakes with the 'zoom' mode.

Things I like about it:

- It's nice having different wave outputs per channel
- The different random modulators in the expert firmware are really useful, trouble is you have to use them at the expense of 'bread and butter' shapes like triangle and ramp.
- It tracks pretty well at 1v/oct and makes a decent audio-range oscillator. When I first got it I made an entire track using Batumi as the only audio source.

Anway - hope this isn't seen as hijacking the OP's thread but thought it may be useful to give a 'not quite so rosy' take on Batumi.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:11 am

lisa wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 am
cg_funk wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 am
Oh, I like it! My post was mostly praise, no? It’s just a boring suggestion because it’s the most obvious suggestion (as is PNW). Batumi is absolutely dominant in the compact, user friendly, free running quad LFO section.
Oh yeah. I hear you. :-)

yeah, ok, maybe it is indeed a boring suggestion when OP gets 12 replies saying to get a Batumi or PNW. ha ha

in_sherman
Common Wiggler

Post by in_sherman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:44 am

it really depends but for other options I find interesting, I would check out mannequins' just friends, and nonlinearcircuits triple sloth, hypster, mi frames or smaller clone. or what about a track and hold with adjustable slew, like half of r*s ssg?

maybe you just need something less weird, but as far as modulation sources, I really enjoy these things, and they compliment the "traditional" tempo-sync LFO nicely.

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am

Yet another vote for the Batumi. I have the Poti expander but am not currently using it. I think a combination of MATHS, Batumi,and Ochd would pretty much cover most peoples needs, though I'm using the heck out of the Nonlinearcircuits Sly Grogan and Meng Qi Hand of late.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 am

2 Piques, and if you don’t need 4 LFOs then you’ve got envelopes, drums and more....

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 am

Another vote for Stages, 6 unipolar LFO's out of the box
(But also very useful if you need a sample & hold, any kind of enveloppe, slew, step sequencer, sequential switch, cv delay, lo-fi/harmonic oscillator) 8-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”