LFO Choice

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Re: LFO Choice

Post by oilpanic » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:03 pm

While I have the Batumi, I would actually not hesitate to say that I have more fun with the Ginko Synthese TTLFO2. It is very capable and much more playable imo.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 pm

I've been waiting for the perfect quad LFO as well. I use the outputs of Pam's New workout, but I wanted something more dedicated. I pre ordered the Kermit Mkiii and it should be here in about a week. Pretty excited about the potential.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm

Doepfer A-143-4 is too much fun to cross-patch. It’s less full-featured than Stages, but much more immediate and easier to learn.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:36 am

Guys you should check the upcoming Dual quadrature LFO from Schippmann, it looks insanely good and original :)

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:51 pm

1000% Just friends. If you get bored of lfo's it's a 6 voice oscillator.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Do check out TINRS Wobbler too. A bit big and expensive but a kind of take on the whole LFO concept that you won’t find anywhere else. The physical modelling algorithms are very cool.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm

First I'd have to wonder what main purpose the LFO would serve. For instance I have Batumi and Poti, and they work wonderfully for phase driving a sync'd Rubicon Oscillator, I get all sorts of wild feedback and such out of it.

On the other hand If I'm doing some Krellish "space truckin'" as I call it then I want something slower like my Bubblesound uLFO.

I also use 2 slow LOFs to drive the outer channels of the Vector Space, another to drive a Planar CV input and send the Planar x or y to the center of the Vector Space, this gives me a modulation engine of sorts to run many other CVs.

I also use a Studio Electronics STE.16 which has the capability to AM and FM the two outputs together for some interesting modulation schemes.

Before I got those I used Maths with the two channels chained together for slow LFO action.

I don't have a Pam's, but it sounds like far more than just a clocking module, never thought of it as an LFO, I'll have to look into that. At any rate there's some food for thought.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:34 pm

I've been very happy with Kermit mk2 and Stages for LFOs.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:50 pm

I’ve been using 4MS QPLFO lately. It’s quite simple and that’s what I like about it.

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Post by Moerder » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:17 pm

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm

All awesome LFO suggestions! In addition to all of them,Have you checked out the Erica Synths Octasource?

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 pm

kenosis wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm
All awesome LFO suggestions! In addition to all of them,Have you checked out the Erica Synths Octasource?
Ha! I was reading all these posts & figured I should post about the Octasource, then I saw ur quote haha....

Octasource. A great module, 8 swirling rotating outputs controlled by a single master clock. Its tons of fun! It was my 2nd Eurorack module, after Morphagene, which it pairs with wonderfully. I have 3 gripes about it.
1. LFO clock doesnt go slow enough...I think its a minute or so.. cant recall. And the center detent for the main clock is kinda wide, makes it hard to stay on the slowest possible speed.
2. No continuous LFO. The LFO cycles through the 8 outputs, they are not simultansously output. So this is in the Nature of the module & all, its got me looking for another LFO source....
3. I wish the wave selection knob showed what waves are where on the knob, on the module itself.

Its sort of a macro multi-LFO meets Random. To me thats where it shines best; when u modulate the Phase of the outputs or FM them it gets pretty nutty. Its lots of fun, but dont let it be your only LFO unless you’re leaning towards more randomness, and want something modeless & purely tactile My .02 cents

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:02 am

I'm always happy to have a chance to plug my own product, the Fixed Sine Bank: https://northcoastsynthesis.com/product ... -bank.html

Non-adjustable frequencies, but you get eight of them in 8HP, and they're proper sine waves. The difference from the triangles typical of variable-frequency oscillators is significant in stuff like drone patches.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Passive multiples and friends

If you tell me that your goal is systemic change toward radical acceptance, and I see that you treat those you perceive as lesser-than with the same kind of scorn and derision that pushed me toward this insular little subculture where I feel comfortable [. . .] then you’ve successfully convinced me that your acceptance is not radical and the change you want not systemic. - Meredith Patterson

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:43 am

Glad to see this thread as I'm also looking for an LFO module to compliment my Pam's. I adore Pam's but I'd like something a bit more tweakable and with some more interesting/varied shapes. Not too concerned with clocking as Pam's has me covered there. I've been looking at MI Tides for versatility and being able to do some wild things at audio rate; how does it compare to the others in this thread (Batumi etc)?

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:37 am

I wrote this a few months ago:
https://eduardinhobranco.wixsite.com/st ... ule-review

It's an opinion piece - and my bias is towards more LFO's per HP, lower cost per LFO, and immediacy when using it.

I am currently using PNW, Stages, Quadrax and Zadar for my LFOs - and I find Quadrax has the best modulation signal, but I am usually using it for it's phenomenal ASR/AR envelopes.. So Pam ends up being my mod source - I have it preset with sine waves at x2.6, x1.3, /3, /10, /12, /15, /27, /56 - and then I can just patch a suitable speed as I am building a sound, and adjust to taste.

I am out of HP - so I need a case upgrade to add any modules - and I am so happy with my current setup, nothing is getting removed.
If I do expand - I am thinking of Ochd - or - Batumi - as I am sure both have the same quality of LFOs I get with Quadrax - 10vpp, bipolar and clean.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:14 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 pm
kenosis wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm
Ha! I was reading all these posts & figured I should post about the Octasource, then I saw ur quote haha....

Octasource. A great module, 8 swirling rotating outputs controlled by a single master clock. Its tons of fun! It was my 2nd Eurorack module, after Morphagene, which it pairs with wonderfully. I have 3 gripes about it.
1. LFO clock doesnt go slow enough...I think its a minute or so.. cant recall. And the center detent for the main clock is kinda wide, makes it hard to stay on the slowest possible speed.
2. No continuous LFO. The LFO cycles through the 8 outputs, they are not simultansously output. So this is in the Nature of the module & all, its got me looking for another LFO source....
3. I wish the wave selection knob showed what waves are where on the knob, on the module itself.

Its sort of a macro multi-LFO meets Random. To me thats where it shines best; when u modulate the Phase of the outputs or FM them it gets pretty nutty. Its lots of fun, but dont let it be your only LFO unless you’re leaning towards more randomness, and want something modeless & purely tactile My .02 cents
You can have one wave form on all outputs. Wouldn't that alleviate your second concern? Unless I am misunderstanding you. I agree with your other observations as well. It is definitely not my only LFO source, but I love the module for what it is good at. Ornament and Crime is great, as is Pams among others. Even Plaits can be used this way with the newest firmware.

EDIT: Sorry..I did misunderstand. #2 makes sense after i re read it. I still love the module though.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:59 pm

For a non-Batumi option, maybe Zadar or Kermit.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 am

Kermit mk2 is an incredibly capable wavetable lfo. Technically only 2 channels but you get a bipolar and unipolar output of both plus some crazy fun cross modulation and it sounds incredible when used as an audio source.

Kermit mk3 that was just released is a true quad wavetable lfo with full controls over two of the lfo’s and shared control over the remaining two plus you can load custom waveforms, plus you can use it as 4x1 shot, gate repeat, or tempo synced envelopes and you can use the two full channels as sample or track and holds. It also has a 4x4 modulation matrix, 8 slot preset manager with cv control over preset selection and sounds incredible when used as an audio source especially in unison mode.

I had the mk2 and when deciding to either keep it or upgrade to the mk3, I chose to keep both in my case and instead sold an oscillator.

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:37 pm

I'm thinking of selling my batumi and getting a second quadrax..... would love more envelopes and the fact that it does both well just makes more sense to me.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Batumi with Poti is pretty cool...but a bit hard to learn, at least at first.
Plus really only one control for each LFO, I like a seperate knob for everything.
Stages is awesome, but a little big.
I really like my WMD/SSF modbox, I had to buy two.
And things like dixie IIs or other oscillators that go down to LFO frequencies (rubicon !!)are useful in many ways.
But, I think it is important to have a bunch of LFOs for subtle modulation so I bought a bunch of Ladik LFOs, they are only 4 hp wide.
I have them spread out among the other modules.
One of ladiks LFOs is called a Harmonic LFO and it lets you add in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th+5th and 6th+7th harmonic to "build" a waveform.
It can make some wild waveforms but now you need a scope like a Mordax to see what you are making with it.
Anyway, get a bunch of LFOs and you will be happy.
Hint, the Modbox is pretty small but still powerful.
So, get 2 Modbox LFOs, a couple of VCOs that have an LFO switch, a Pams new workout, a Batumi, plus a bunch of small LFOs that are 4 hp and a few 2 hp LFOs and you will be set, well if you get a stages also.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever
.......Not a very good musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Zymos wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 am
2 Piques, and if you don’t need 4 LFOs then you’ve got envelopes, drums and more....
Peaks is amazing. The Tempo Sync'd lfos are awesome (but no div/mult control unfortunately) and I love the standard LFO with control over shape and phase - few other LFOs have control of phase. I imagine there's also room for future firmware hacking!

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but for a different flavor of LFOs, Just Friends in cycle mode provides 6 related unipolar LFOs with adjustable slope/curve/frequency relationship to each other. I'm still learning this module. :hihi:
FS/FT (US): What's next :hmm:

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:55 am

Foghorn wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Batumi with Poti is pretty cool...but a bit hard to learn, at least at first.
Plus really only one control for each LFO, I like a seperate knob for everything.
Stages is awesome, but a little big.
I really like my WMD/SSF modbox, I had to buy two.
And things like dixie IIs or other oscillators that go down to LFO frequencies (rubicon !!)are useful in many ways.
But, I think it is important to have a bunch of LFOs for subtle modulation so I bought a bunch of Ladik LFOs, they are only 4 hp wide.
I have them spread out among the other modules.
One of ladiks LFOs is called a Harmonic LFO and it lets you add in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th+5th and 6th+7th harmonic to "build" a waveform.
It can make some wild waveforms but now you need a scope like a Mordax to see what you are making with it.
Anyway, get a bunch of LFOs and you will be happy.
Hint, the Modbox is pretty small but still powerful.
So, get 2 Modbox LFOs, a couple of VCOs that have an LFO switch, a Pams new workout, a Batumi, plus a bunch of small LFOs that are 4 hp and a few 2 hp LFOs and you will be set, well if you get a stages also.
I used to think this way, but I'm happier to mix and mult around no more than 4-6 LFOs. just makes for more cohesive patches. depends, I guess, how many completely independent cyclic processes you need running behind the scenes of your music...

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:47 am

I think 2 active LFOs or a dual LFO for every maybe 104 hp row is probably enough.
(un)fortunately I have about 15 rows that size.
This means that more than 1/2 of what I have is never even turned on at any one time.
I should not use words like "a bunch" or the standard MW answer of "get one of everything"

Foghorn
"Get two of everything"
Stay Calm - We are in this forever
.......Not a very good musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

titaanzink
Common Wiggler

Post by titaanzink » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:54 am

+1 for the Erica Synths Octasource. I like its immediacy in patching - 8 synchronised but phased out outputs at any time, and the sturdy feel of the pots. One of my go-to modules

Return to “Eurorack Modules”