Processing Ableton Audio with Lyra 8 FX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Steverido
Common Wiggler

Processing Ableton Audio with Lyra 8 FX

Post by Steverido » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 am

Hey Guys, I wonder if any of you can advise on my current issue.

I am trying to run audio from Ableton into my Lyra 8 FX and then back into Ableton. I have a Motu 8pre which is coupled to a Behringer Ultra gain ADA8200 via Toslink. Reason being that the Behringer has outputs. I know that my cabling and software setup is correct because I have checked it enough times to confirm.

Ableton routing is straightforward too.

Is my understanding correct that I can run audio from Ableton as mentioned above and process the sound in the Lyra 8 and return via my VCA and WMD stereo module back into Ableton?

My understanding is that I only require DC coupled interface for processing CV.

Is this correct?

Edit: I will try my Motu ultralite MK3 when I get a new power supply.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Re: Processing Ableton Audio with Lyra 8 FX

Post by smithjohn » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 am

If the Lyra FX isn't able to process line level straight out the box you would need a preamp module to get the signal to euro levels. Not sure why you would need a DC coupled out for sending audio to your modular :hmm:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:49 am

smithjohn wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 am
Not sure why you would need a DC coupled out for sending audio to your modular :hmm:
He never said that though, even specified it by saying "processing CV". And yes, correct, you only need it for CV.

But yeah, you need to amplify the signal, there are modules for that.. Pico Input, A-119 etc..

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:10 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:49 am
smithjohn wrote:
Not sure why you would need a DC coupled out for sending audio to your modular :hmm:
He never said that though, even specified it by saying "processing CV". And yes, correct, you only need it for CV.

But yeah, you need to amplify the signal, there are modules for that.. Pico Input, A-119 etc..
You're right, reading skills.

Steverido
Common Wiggler

Post by Steverido » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:06 am

smithjohn wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:10 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:49 am
smithjohn wrote:

You're right, reading skills.
No worries, I have to read things a few times before it syncs in. :) Mind the pun. :sarcasm:

I have tested it on the Motu Ultralite MK3 and it works. Had to remember that Ableton processes the outputs different. Output 1 is actually output 3 in Ableton because of the main outs are 1 & 2 in Ableton.

So my Behringher or Motu 8pre is faulty. The Toslinks are outputting lights so I am unsure which it is.

I think that I am going to replace them with the Presonus Studio 1824C because they have DC coupled outputs. My Ultralite goes with me when I am working away and I don't want to keep redoing cabling.

Thanks for your input gents. I don't think that I need to boost anything. Signals are okay after testing.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”