Mini Modular to Accompany my Mother 32

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Mini Modular to Accompany my Mother 32

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:59 am

Hi guys,

First post here, though i've been scouring the forums to learn. After playing with my ex bandmate's Mother 32, I was in love with it's sound and combination of simplicity and expandability. I bought one :)

I was primarily a soft-synth player for years, fell in love with Ableton's Operator and mangling the crap out of it with Max4Live. Trouble is, computers are not very stable, and just cannot be relied on. My first loves are composition and singing. So as you can imagine, there's heavy use of both in my music. I'd like to free up the lappy for looping, return fx, some basic FX, and MIDI communication to my Mother and future Modular.

Here's what I have in mind for my setup:

The case i'll be using is Intellijel's palette (62HP 3U + 62HP 1U), which has ST Outs, USB MIDI, and two Buff Mults (1x4 each). I figure i've got a nice blend of clean, warm, and kitchy tones from the VCOs, a good mix of functions, sequencing, modulation, random/chaos, VCAs/Mixers and other utility. The main limitation is the lack of another filter (the mother has its ladder of course), but I really can't figure out how to squash one in here. My thought is if I really need a filter, I could always use some of Ableton's. I know I know, i'm probably kidding myself :yay:

Other than that I'm really happy with the setup. What do you guys think?

I really wanted to get the Expert Sleepers ES-3 and ES-6 in there, but i'm thinking I may just build a custom case to house my interface (Antelope Zen Tour) along with the ES modules together sometime in the near future.

I'm not one to get itchy for new gear, I really just want to compose and make music, and exploration around limitations works fine for me. I have been making everything on Operator till now after all :lol: :lol:

I live in India, so I don't have the luxury of trying out a thousand things to take my pick. And i'm having people bring the gear down for me so keeping it as lean and light as possible.
Last edited by perilousp on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mini Modular to Accompany my Mother 32

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:05 am

I was thinking I would also use the Push 2 as an optional performance controller, gate+melodic sequencer that could communicate directly with the modular.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 am

1 I would get a bigger case - you will need it - and bigger cases work out cheaper $/hp - Tip Top Mantis
2 too many sound sources, not enough utility* - if you stick with a 1u - noise tools
3 for a case this size the modulation sources take up too much space
4 not enough effects - I would want an effect - possibly fx aid
5 Disting mk4 - you need this
6 buy say maths and use that to expand the mom - then work out the next module and so on

*Utility modules are the dull polish that make the shiny modules shinier

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:05 am

Hi Agawell,

Thanks for the reply. Also do bear with my questions, varying views:

1. I really would like to keep it compact because it would be practical for playing live (especially while touring), and it's very very expensive shipping to India, duty included. I can bypass the shipping cost and duty with a smaller case, because a friend can bring it for me.
2. Could you elaborate what utility am I missing with this? I have three mults total (two buffered), noise and clock divisions i get from the mother 32 as well as ableton (via the midi), steppy gives me gates and clock divs, and the triplatt Attenuverter/mixer. There's also a two mixers on the mom. I thought the wogglebug was good for noise and s&h also? Maths gives me a bunch of utility too. Sorry not trying to sound confrontational, just want to understand.
3. Interesting, what would you suggest is redundant? That'd help me clear space for more utility/fx as you mentioned.
4. Agree, but I was thinking i'd use ableton fx for now and then get a couple of stomps for the main outs that i've been wanting for a while. I'll check out FX aid for sure :)
5. Was on my list too!
6. That was one of my initial ideas, will try to plan around it again. Any good case recommendations for this? Ideally something where I could keep a second row separated (convenient for gig use).

Based on your advice, I was thinking perhaps I could remove the Noise Engineering Ataraxic Iteritas VCO. It was kinda shoehorned in there anyway :mrgreen:

With 10hp freed up, I could add an FX Aid and...

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 am

Crap, turns out the Disting and FX Aid are too deep for this case. How's the TipTop audio multifx?

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 am

If you plan on using this in conjunction with your laptop I don’t really see the need for any FX. Your laptop is better for that anyway. I do agree that the modulation sources are too large though. A Quadrax might be better since NOise Engineering stuff does really like a lot of envelopes.

If you’re interested in Expert Sleepers you may just consider a different case and forgo the Steppy and 1u Midi.

I don’t think you really need a dusting either but it’s worth considering.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 am

Yeah, ill replace the uMIDI with another 1U when I get the expert sleepers, but I do want to keep the steppy on hand. It'll be a lot more fun performance-wise, and quicker to route gates and divs than going via push. Definitely considering the ES range with a separate case, which will also house my interface (I use a lot of audio too, so don't want to replace the Zen Tour).

The original design didn't actually involve the Noise Engineering module. I originally wanted a DPO because it's so bloody flexible, and gets noisy real quick if needed. But it's big, expensive and so I figured the NE module would cover grittier tones for me. I could always build a more complex voice in the next case in the future, so no big deal to forgo it for now.

Question is then, what to utilise the now-free 10hp for 8-)

Sekim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sekim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:26 am

I like thinking about such small (extension) systems and would like to propose to you potential changes regarding your "OSC" section which uses up 18 HP at the moment.
Given that you would chose Klavis Twin Waves (8 HP) instead of the NE one and resign the Dixie you would have the opportunity to put in a multimode filter like A-121-3 (4HP) and still have 6 HP, e.g. for a A-111-3 and a 2HP module (e.g. 2 HP Mix) or whatever.

All the best!

P.S. Sorry for my English, but I am not a native speaker.
Last edited by Sekim on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------
http://www.alfadeo.de/

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perilousp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 am

Sekim wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:26 am
I like thinking about such small (extension) systems and would like to propose to you potential changes regarding your "OSC" section which uses up 18 HP at the moment.
Given that you would chose Klavis Twin Waves (8 HP) instead of the NE one and resign the Dixie you would have the opportunity to put in a multimode filter like A-121-3 (4HP) and still have 6 HP, e.g. for a A-111-3 and a 2HP module or whatever.

All the best!

P.S. Sorry for my English, but I am not a native speaker.
Hi Sekim,

I think i'll keep the Dixie ii+, i'd rather this extension do what it does really well. I'll think of a more complex oscillator for my next build :)

Even so, I still have 10hp free for the mom extender! I don't think i'll be able to fit most Deopfer modules as I noticed they're mostly all too deep.

What do you guys think is really missing in this 2-voiced system? 10HP to spare :cloud:

Sekim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sekim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi perilousp,

thanks for your hint! I looked it up - the quite shallow case of your choice offers only 46 mm of depth. In consequence, quite some potentially interesting modules do not fit.
In this context, I would like to mention that I also planned a mobile rack for live purposes some time ago. I decided for a two row Doepfer suitcase. It harbors also a Moog (Mother 32) besides a Roland "voice" and still offers additional 80 HP. Because of its depth it is usable for me in a quite "back-friendly" fashion when lying on a table, thereby better suited for my preference to perform in a standing position. I also like that it is sturdy, offers a good power supply, and can be closed with patch cables connected. Of course there are also other brands with similar functionality around. Anyhow, for me it fits very well that I only have one box to carry containing all this stuff.

BTW, I mentioned Twin waves not because I would recognize it as a typical complex Osc like Furthrrrr, DPO or the Verbos one. I rather would see it as a versatile tool providing more traditional second/third Osc functionality as well as a source of harsher, gritty spectra for further processing in a small package. But yes, its digital.

Regarding your 10 HP-question, besides a filter also a wave folder like Intellijel µFold could be potentially interesting. But I also would recommend to consider if mixing/VCA options are sufficient for your needs.

All the Best!
--------------------------------------
http://www.alfadeo.de/

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:14 pm

My suggestion would be to change a few things around in the 1U section to open more options in 3U. Basically:

Ditch the USB (pretty useless to power up any decent MIDI device) and line out (never found much use for these and you can just go straight out from the module to your interface). Would also remove the steppy. Include instead a Noise Tools and maybe a Duatt. You have 4HP left to play around with.

In the 3U section, you can afford to remove the Wogglebug (now that you have a Noise Tools) and Triplatt. Would consider adding an Ornament and Crime (fantastic for sequencing, quantising, randomisations and a ton of other things) and maybe more modulation sources like Pamela's new workout, Zadar, or even a Joranalogue Filter 8 if you feel the need.

Maths is super, but given the smaller footprint, you might want to consider a Function instead and chuck in another voice or modulation source.

As for the voices, i think Mother 32 and Dixie have some overlap but the combination with Ataraxic is great fun.

perilousp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perilousp » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Right, so a lot has changed since we last spoke :D

I've decided to order the intellijel rails for cheap, along with their power supply and build a 7U portable case myself. Comes to half the price compared to ordering their 7U case. Yup. THAT is how expensive shipping and duty is to India.

Anyway, I decided to load in the Expert sleepers modules and some basic building blocks. I feel this is the "sensible" thing to do and will help me get to grips with what I would "really" want as I use the thing. I can use CV tools, Reaktor Blocks, Silent Way to basically fill in whatever gaps there are in my system, and get a good idea of what id like to add over time.

I know I like progressing melodies, with tonnes of harmonisation (floating in and out of tune) slowly, organically -> hence the scales + wogglebug decision. I will use my Push with the ES combo to setup basic chains that I can tweak on the fly -> Modulators, sequences, triggers, gates, melody lines, audio in, basic cv, mixing, fx.

What i'm already considering is some kind of audio mangler like the morphagene, since I use so many acoustic instruments + vocals while writing/playing, would be super fun and live-friendly to sing/+play into a mic and.. MANGLE.

heh. I also am not a huge fan of "Purely" synth drums all the time. Sure some hits are nice, and tight, and rhythmically great to mess around with. But I do like far more relaxed, low bit, high complexity waveform/recorded drums. Sample mangled hits, paired with tight hits, paired with rhythmic melodic/demonic sequences.

I love generative sounds too, but it's not crucial to me right now. I'd definitely like to be able to replicate things a little bit. At least be recognisable -> makes it much easier to jam with acoustic instrumentalists :mrgreen:

That said, here it is! Let me know what you think :cloud:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”