SWN, Shapeshifter, which one first?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Benoist
Learning to Wiggle

Re: SWN, Shapeshifter, which one first?

Post by Benoist » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm

AFAIK, the Graphic VCO WT uploading doesn't exist yet ( ? ) too bad because designing valuable waveforms on it is a loooong process ...
On this exhaustive Divkid presentation you can assess the workflow and the sounds :
It excels at razor sharp sounds that can be smashed further with the FX to make your ears bleed ( even more ) it's EricaSynths after all :hihi:

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah, they got a reputation :D. I´ll probably let Marbles decide which box to start with, unless there is a marketplace offer I can´t decline. SWN has that intriguing interface adn 6 VCO, Erica I´ll pass until I can edit on a computer, E352, dunno, not in love for some reason. Piston Honda I didn´t like because of stupid, maybe the demos were just odd with that TTS tick, but now I´m tempted. Did I mention I like orange... alas mk3 has limited availability. Not in a rush, so I´ll dwell a bit on SWN vs Piston and search for more demo material. Not forgetting the gogo, but I need to dig deeper.

Cheers and thanks for all your input!
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm
Yeah, they got a reputation :D. I´ll probably let Marbles decide which box to start with, unless there is a marketplace offer I can´t decline. SWN has that intriguing interface adn 6 VCO, Erica I´ll pass until I can edit on a computer, E352, dunno, not in love for some reason. Piston Honda I didn´t like because of stupid, maybe the demos were just odd with that TTS tick, but now I´m tempted. Did I mention I like orange... alas mk3 has limited availability. Not in a rush, so I´ll dwell a bit on SWN vs Piston and search for more demo material. Not forgetting the gogo, but I need to dig deeper.

Cheers and thanks for all your input!
Had some similar debates myself and enjoyed this thread. Did you decide what to get?

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Shapeshifter is a module that will never leave my rack. It is so versatile and once you read the manual and focus on what you want to use it for it is not that difficult to understand. Sure, you can feed CV to everything, go nuts with preset morphing and get deep into all the pulse/combo modes, but you can easily scale back and achieve lots of clean sounds without getting crazy noisy and totally overboard, which the SS can do just as well.

So many points to recommend about it. Complex FM, dual oscillators, chord mode, onboard delay with external clocking, LFO mode with complex wave shapes for weird clocking applications.... there's a lifetime of sounds in there. JJ Clark's design is really superb.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:27 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:10 pm
Had some similar debates myself and enjoyed this thread. Did you decide what to get?
A pre-owned shapeshifter appeared out of leftfield, it looked so cute and needed some nice play to stay, I just couldn´t deny it. Will spend some quality time getting friends with it, but the others are not forgotten. They just come later.

I figured that creating custom wavetables is probably something you don´t do on day 1, so I just compromised and will work with what´s available. Once I´m more familiar with wavetable synthesis and really need my own, I´ll add something else, but given the complexity of the shifter, I´m not in a rush.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:48 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:01 am
Just to lob a monkeywrench into the works, have you checked this thing out?

It’s not a wavetable oscillator, it‘s a parametric one. But it’s so parameter rich, I think it plays in the same timbral territories as both wavetable oscillators and complex oscillators.
I could look at that OLED for hours (and probably not get any tracks made lol)

I'll say this about Shapeshifter as it's been called harsh over and over. I've had it for about 3 months and while it's very easy to get harsh sounds out of it, with some practice and patience you can get plenty of beautiful tones out of it as well, and then save them presets so you can call them up instantly. Which you're going to want to do because when you boot it up and just start tweaking, it's going to give you a lot of noise unless you stay on the most basic waveforms and even then, it really wants to rip the wavetables apart in ways that, well are great if you're making power electronics or aggressive techno. Not so great for the chill ambient sounds which most people associate with wavetable synths. In my mind it occupies a space more in line with my FM synths than my wavetables synths, in a timbral sense but also in the sense that when you just start experimenting and tweaking parameters you get a lot of atonal noise.
Last edited by daphnid on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benoist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benoist » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:05 pm

I highly recommend a Planar 2 for simultaneously modulating shape 1 & 2 :love:
I might get as second one for pitch 1 &2 ( and for other stuff )

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Well, aggressive techno is one of the things I got this for, so it will be useful right from the get go. But it´s also about learning new technologies, so I won´t stop there. First, I need to develop my skills to the level that I can make it sound smooth, then I´ll decide in which role I like it best.

Planar - my centre rack is built as a control rig, sequencers, planars, tetrapads. Plenty of options, will see what the best combination is.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:50 pm

+1 on the joystick, my Erica joystick loves the SS!

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 am

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:27 pm
A pre-owned shapeshifter appeared out of leftfield, it looked so cute and needed some nice play to stay, I just couldn´t deny it. Will spend some quality time getting friends with it, but the others are not forgotten. They just come later.

I figured that creating custom wavetables is probably something you don´t do on day 1, so I just compromised and will work with what´s available. Once I´m more familiar with wavetable synthesis and really need my own, I´ll add something else, but given the complexity of the shifter, I´m not in a rush.
Hahah I've had that exact same thing happen with modules.

I was amazed with how much SS can do and the range of tones you can get out of it.

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:49 am

I really like the Chord Mode in Perc Mode on the Shappy...togehter with Mimeophone : instant Dub techno vibes ... And not to forget the Vocoder!
The Shapeshifter is so deep, fun for years ...

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:28 am

I'm not great at making techno, but I love the sounds I can get out of the SS. Morphing at 1:20.
Last edited by sleepmute on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

trinithis
Common Wiggler

Post by trinithis » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:29 am

SWN. I own both. One I use and one I don't. Take a guess.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”