Where are the Benjolins?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Where are the Benjolins?

Post by Pighood » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm

I wish he’d release a euro blippoo
*phnert*

subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Pighood wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm
I wish he’d release a euro blippoo
That would be amazing

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:53 am

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm
KittenVillage wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm
didahdrieghe wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:51 pm
If you're into DIY, there's an SMD version here which seems to have fixed some of the problems the Kweiwen version had:
https://github.com/forestcaver/Benjolin

Still building mine so can't comment further on it yet though.
I just got most of the smd on mine last night! (The printing on the board is so small! It made it a real challenge.)
I just keep eagle open on my laptop when I’m building! (For my own builds I dont usually even bother creating gerbers with part numbers :-) )
Yes! I did that... but also I think this was my first time putting on the paste for each part as I went. At some points I literally had a syringe full of paste in one hand and tweezers in the other.

It did make me want to clone your github and make a new silkscreen layer for the board! (Maybe I will for practice. I'll let you know if I do.)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Just finished building a version with mods adapted from casper electronics. Made my own board layout and all. But since I have the parts for a second one and the first PCB version had some issues, I'll incorporate your additions forestcaver of diodes around the regulators and output amplification! Also all DIY and for my own use though.
As far as I know Rob considered the benjolin a "gift" for the DIY community and it was originally only possible to be built in workshops. But then there was some licensing also including some fees - probably the same with klangbau köln and the twin peak filter.
Unfortunately I don't think that the blippoo box or the twin peak filter schematics or any of the hordijk modular will be released publicly since they are still being produced by Rob himself and are his business. But I wish as well :waah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DEEMARKAY on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:53 am
forestcaver wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm
KittenVillage wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm
didahdrieghe wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:51 pm
If you're into DIY, there's an SMD version here which seems to have fixed some of the problems the Kweiwen version had:
https://github.com/forestcaver/Benjolin

Still building mine so can't comment further on it yet though.
I just got most of the smd on mine last night! (The printing on the board is so small! It made it a real challenge.)
I just keep eagle open on my laptop when I’m building! (For my own builds I dont usually even bother creating gerbers with part numbers :-) )
Yes! I did that... but also I think this was my first time putting on the paste for each part as I went. At some points I literally had a syringe full of paste in one hand and tweezers in the other.

It did make me want to clone your github and make a new silkscreen layer for the board! (Maybe I will for practice. I'll let you know if I do.)
If you do - just open it in eagle, hide all layers, then select ‘tnames’ and bnames, select all, change size and set it to, say, 24. Then export the gerbers. In the silkscreen gerber layer selection, include t/bdoc layers as well....

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:39 am

What about this one? https://www.perfectcircuit.com/exagonal ... jolin.html
I guess things are getting out of hand since there's not enough retail availability of licensed products?
I wrote to this guy when I found out he was selling them and he admitted immediately that he had no license from Rob and never even tried to contact him about it. He has informed me since that he has asked Rob about licensing finally.

I know that the focus of this thread is Euro Benjolin, however I would like to mention that I have six handmade, licensed, standalone Benjolins made and ready to ship. Please check http://macumbista.net/?p=5732 for details.

Esoteric drones and nonlinear distortion
Custom, handmade experimental instruments
http://macumbista.net

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Man, they look so good...

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:24 pm
Man, they look so good...
Thanks, I really spend a lot of time making them as retro-futuristic as I can.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Modded for modular level output and assured power-on with forestcaver's schematics. Used the same diode setup for a fonitronik vc clock module that had the same issues. Thanks a bunch!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:26 pm

macumbista wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:39 am
I know that the focus of this thread is Euro Benjolin, however I would like to mention that I have six handmade, licensed, standalone Benjolins made and ready to ship. Please check http://macumbista.net/?p=5732 for details.
So awesome! Was looking at educational electronics modules for schools and really like that aesthetic!
Crazy that those boxes are original vintage vintage - they are already imitating, pretending to be metal :lol:

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:05 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm
Modded for modular level output and assured power-on with forestcaver's schematics. Used the same diode setup for a fonitronik vc clock module that had the same issues. Thanks a bunch!!
Nice job - that looks really neat!

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 am

I got my smd version built though I had some small issues with a couple of op amps and had to swap them out. Maybe bad chips.

I absolutely love it though. Patched it feeding back through a rings with the pwm out going into the rings position, and more... It was amazing. And even on it's own the benjolin sings.

I have an edit of the silkscreen layer on forestcaver's board done so it is more readable. I am considering a few more tweaks to the board before I build another. Maybe add some of the Casper mods to it. (I am a novice at board editing so this would give me something to practice on.)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 am
I have an edit of the silkscreen layer on forestcaver's board done so it is more readable. I am considering a few more tweaks to the board before I build another. Maybe add some of the Casper mods to it. (I am a novice at board editing so this would give me something to practice on.)
Excellent! This is why open source is so cool! It’s the best way to learn....

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Sat May 09, 2020 7:35 am

Not my listings, but there’s two Epochs up on Reverb right now.

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Sun May 31, 2020 11:08 am

This is the last Benjolin V5 I will be making for quite a while, as I will be starting a PhD program in Sweden very soon and won't have time for any other instrument building. Please email macumbista@gmail.com if you are interested in taking it. EUR 565 (EU) / EUR 475 (nonEU) plus shipping and PayPal 4% if applicable.

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:40 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:44 pm
Struggle wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:22 pm
There’s a Epoch just posted in BST
That's very unfortunate they don't work in Doepfer cases. The seller noted that in the post. I only have Doepfer cases so I guess the Epoch is a no go for me.
For what it’s worth (and I realise this may be too late for the BST and the seller had commented specifically on this) my epoch benjolin works fine in my doepfer case. Only had one issue due to not enough power, swapped some modules out and it’s been great for a couple of years.

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Sun May 31, 2020 5:14 pm

I never had any problems either with Epoch Benjolin and my 2 Doepfer cases (PSU2 & PSU3).

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:31 am

Exploring Benjolin:

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am

I have posted an update about the last batch of Benjolins I will make in July, before closing up shop for an unforseeable length of time. Please check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234109

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:23 pm

I'm letting my After Later Audio Juggler (benjolin) go for $180 (us shipping included) if anyone is interested.
just have more modules than i have hp for. just mentioning it here because i know they are hard to find.
PM me if interested.
107042414_2584012895247833_3363644741856280222_n.jpg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”