Minimal modules for Intellijel 4U Palette

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Minimal modules for Intellijel 4U Palette

Post by eno » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Most probably this has been asked a lot but Im new to modular and the amount of combined knowledge here will probably have very good advice to give. Im dipping my toes into modular and just got the Intellijel 4U palette case. Yes, its small and limiting. And yes, I know, I will probably end up getting a bigger case... eventually. I would really like to explore a super minimal portable modular to noodle with. Ive been busy Googling, reading threads and looking at module specs a lot. But its kinda overwhelming.

And I think maybe a better way to figure out what to get would be to list here what I would like to have in my modular: single (preferably dual) oscillator with plenty of different waveforms; an LFO or some other module as a modulation source; VCA; two envelopes; mixer; and maybe some FX (reverb at least, more if it can fit).

Nice to have: maybe a simple sequencer and/or arpeggiator (or combined unit).

Can people recommend a set of minimal modules that will fit in the 4U Intellijel palette ?
Any specific brands (doesn't have to be Intellijel) I should look at ?

There's some terrific modules out there but most will take up a big chunk of HP so Im looking for some creativity. Maybe there are modules that can combined functionality?

Anyway, as always, many thanks for any advice.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Minimal modules for Intellijel 4U Palette

Post by Agawell » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 am

yes the same question is asked constantly

in my opinion you are doing this the wrong way round

get a bigger case first and fill it (over time) and then go for a small case if you want that - as a satellite or standalone voice - but you've already passed that point and it's only my opinion

so 62 hp to fill - I'm not really getting into 1u as I know nothing about it

I'd look at the dreadbox chromatic series - I'd be tempted to get all of them except the eudemonia

I'd also want a quad cascading vca (I like veils, but there are smaller, try for 8hp if you can - Doepfer A-135-2, possibly) - don't skimp on vcas ) they are more important and useful than you think

If you saved the 4hp by getting the doepfer then you can fit in a Happy Nerding FXAid - which will cover effects ) including reverb

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 am

Here's some inspiration:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/ind ... ection=asc

Or

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/ind ... ection=asc

However, I'd start by finding the voices and fx you like in terms of sound (and other modules in terms of functionality), then find modules that sound like them and have the right size.

rd45
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rd45 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:34 pm

I feel sure that you will already have seen this, but it does seem very close to what you're asking.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm

I feel like Plaits would be great in a Palette. Maybe a Quadrax for modulation.

A 1u Midi to control from a laptop or controller. Maybe a Steppy to go with the Midi.

A Cinnamon filter from Bastl. FX Aid would be great.

A uVCA or LxD from Make Noise would be good.

A Dixie is a decently small oscillator if you were set on adding a second one although if you are going to be FMing the oscillators against each other I can’t recommend enough the Shakmat Hi-Pass for removing DC offsets. Not sure that you would have to worry about that if you used the Plaits as a modulator.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:15 pm

One suggestion if you’re feeling overwhelmed may be to make your first case from one-manufacturer to start. Intellijel may actually be a good bet based on what you suggested you were after. Something like:

Scales, Quad VCA, Quadrax, Dixie2+, Rubicon2.

I think I’m still inside your HP and with that you’d have envelopes, LFO’s, quantizer, mini-sequencer, VCA’s... to to mention you haven’t even gotten to the 1U for other util’s (atten/offset, output, etc.)

Hope that helps underwhelm things a bit :hihi:

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm

rd45 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:34 pm
I feel sure that you will already have seen this, but it does seem very close to what you're asking.
Yeah I watched Ricky's video a few weeks ago and it served as an inspiration. However, his setup is more geared towards a groovebox rather than a mono/duo synth - he has two sequencers! :-)

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:31 pm

Agawell wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 am
get a bigger case first and fill it (over time) and then go for a small case if you want that - as a satellite or standalone voice - but you've already passed that point and it's only my opinion
You know, I did look at the 7U from IntelliJel and wonder if I should go for that - its not backpack size but it is still pretty portable.

And thanks for the other suggestions I will check them out.

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:36 pm

VZvision wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:15 pm
One suggestion if you’re feeling overwhelmed may be to make your first case from one-manufacturer to start. Intellijel may actually be a good bet based on what you suggested you were after.
Yes, it would make sense that their modules would work well in their cases. But I wondered if that was considered lame or generally OK for someone who is new to full modular :-)
VZvision wrote:
Something like:
They had a lot of choices in each category but seeing a list like this is helpful.
VZvision wrote:
I think I’m still inside your HP and with that you’d have envelopes, LFO’s, quantizer, mini-sequencer, VCA’s... to to mention you haven’t even gotten to the 1U for other util’s (atten/offset, output, etc.)
I think they have a pretty nice 1U FX module and their Steppy sequencer might be useful.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm
I feel like Plaits would be great in a Palette. Maybe a Quadrax for modulation.

A 1u Midi to control from a laptop or controller. Maybe a Steppy to go with the Midi.

A Cinnamon filter from Bastl. FX Aid would be great.

A uVCA or LxD from Make Noise would be good.

A Dixie is a decently small oscillator if you were set on adding a second one although if you are going to be FMing the oscillators against each other I can’t recommend enough the Shakmat Hi-Pass for removing DC offsets. Not sure that you would have to worry about that if you used the Plaits as a modulator.
You're the second person to mention FX Aid so Ill definitely check that out along with your other suggestions.
TY

subduct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subduct » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 pm

eno wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:31 pm
Agawell wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 am
You know, I did look at the 7U from IntelliJel and wonder if I should go for that - its not backpack size but it is still pretty portable.

And thanks for the other suggestions I will check them out.
I bought (in rapid succession) a 4ms pod, intellijel 4u then intellijel 7u. I really like the 1u row and now I have room to expand.
It's definitely a price hurdle but I'd recommend the bigger case, it's still pretty portable as you say

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:33 am

or go for a Tiptop Mantis - it's a lot cheaper than intellijel and you can get a "backpack" to put it in - but you do loose the 1u row

go slowly with modules - buy a few and then play until you think you know them inside out - then buy one or 2 more and repeat

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 am

Agawell wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:33 am
or go for a Tiptop Mantis - it's a lot cheaper than intellijel and you can get a "backpack" to put it in - but you do loose the 1u row

go slowly with modules - buy a few and then play until you think you know them inside out - then buy one or 2 more and repeat
Mantis is a good shout.
Also consider the Doepfer A-100LC9 PSU3, same price range, even more HP (252HP) and not that much bigger than the Mantis (208HP).
The Mantis might have an easthetic & usability (you can set it up angled and combine 2 easily) advantage though. :)
I prefer the more square-ish case, in this, ehrm, case.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 am
Agawell wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:33 am

Mantis is a good shout.
Also consider the Doepfer A-100LC9 PSU3, same price range, even more HP (252HP) and not that much bigger than the Mantis (208HP).
The Mantis might have an easthetic & usability (you can set it up angled and combine 2 easily) advantage though. :)
I prefer the more square-ish case, in this, ehrm, case.
Err... OP already has the Intellijel case. They're asking what to put in it :)
What sort of sounds do you want to get out of it?
The Ricky Tinez video linked above has some good ideas in it, though as he says, Monsoon is a bit overkill for Reverb. I'd go for FXAid for that.
Plaits is a good shout for a multipurpose oscillator and you could go for a small analogue VCO to complement it.
The Mimetic does pack a lot in for such a small sequencer, and I do like his idea of splitting CV and trigger sequencing.
Doepfer do a well priced range of 4HP VCOs and filters now.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:26 am

flashheart wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am
Err... OP already has the Intellijel case. They're asking what to put in it :)
Pologies, missed that. :eek:

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm

VZvision wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1156178

What do you guys think ?

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm

eno wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm

What do you guys think ?
What exactly do you mean by "minimal"? Do you mean small, so you can fit more?
Also, how do you plan on controlling the modular? External MIDI/CV? Or do you want it self-contained?

My thoughts on your setup would be that it is very much like a standard analog monosynth, but with patch points. Eurorack is an expensive and cumbersome way to achieve that. To make the experience worth the effort, you might as well go for some features that aren't offered in a basic mono.

Rubicon 2 & Dual ADSR are great, but take up a lot of space for the functions you get. Personally I'd go with a Mutable Instruments Plaits instead of the Rubicon, and an Intellijel Quadrax instead of the Dual ADSR. Even the Quad VCA is questionable...for each VCA to be worth it, you need 2 other sources - a modifier, and something to be modified. Where do those 8 signals come from in a such a small setup? Maybe swap for a uVCA (2 channels).

Just these modules alone to start with would offer a LOT of exploration, and it gets you more than what a typical analog mono like a Moog Grandmother can offer. And it leaves more space for expansion later.

For reference, I have a Palette too which is almost full (still don't have the Quadrax or Dual VCA).

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm

eno wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm
VZvision wrote:

What do you guys think ?
Agree with some of the points that Jason made above but not all of them:

1. Agree that unless you’re going to primarily play/program the rack with a keyboard/ sequencer with variable gates, I would forgo the ADSR. Quadrax would give you far more flexibility since if you’re not using channels for envelopes you can have LFO’s and/or burst gen’s and/or sound sources on the other channels.

2. Do not agree you should downsize the VCA’s. If you go any bigger, then the VCA’s here will always have a use. Plus if you switch to Quadrax, the extra VCA’s not being used for audio will have a use to attenuate and/or automate CV to other sources.

3. You could definitely get a smaller VCO than Rubicon2. I’m a sucker for analog VCO’s that cover a lot of ground though, so I would be inclined to start with an Oscillator I’m really excited about. This is totally my own bias though for sure.

4. Also, if you do go with Rubicon, a second small utility VCO would be handy.

5. Also, I don’t know if that 1U sequencer has a quantizer on board?...if you want to play melody-based music centred around scales, this will prob be necessary.

Hope that helps.

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:18 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm
What exactly do you mean by "minimal"? Do you mean small, so you can fit more?
Also, how do you plan on controlling the modular? External MIDI/CV? Or do you want it self-contained?
I guess I would like to be mostly self-contained but I might want to hook up a portable controller too. Id probably want to have all the options available to control it.
Jason Brock wrote:
My thoughts on your setup would be that it is very much like a standard analog monosynth, but with patch points. Eurorack is an expensive and cumbersome way to achieve that. To make the experience worth the effort, you might as well go for some features that aren't offered in a basic mono.
That's a valid point - Im not going very far outside my comfort zone by recreating a mono synth.
Jason Brock wrote:
Rubicon 2 & Dual ADSR are great, but take up a lot of space for the functions you get. Personally I'd go with a Mutable Instruments Plaits instead of the Rubicon, and an Intellijel Quadrax instead of the Dual ADSR. Even the Quad VCA is questionable...for each VCA to be worth it, you need 2 other sources - a modifier, and something to be modified. Where do those 8 signals come from in a such a small setup? Maybe swap for a uVCA (2 channels).

Just these modules alone to start with would offer a LOT of exploration, and it gets you more than what a typical analog mono like a Moog Grandmother can offer. And it leaves more space for expansion later.
That's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping someone could help me with. Thanks for your help.

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:26 pm

VZvision wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm
1. Agree that unless you’re going to primarily play/program the rack with a keyboard/ sequencer with variable gates, I would forgo the ADSR. Quadrax would give you far more flexibility since if you’re not using channels for envelopes you can have LFO’s and/or burst gen’s and/or sound sources on the other channels.
Good point.
VZvision wrote:
2. Do not agree you should downsize the VCA’s. If you go any bigger, then the VCA’s here will always have a use. Plus if you switch to Quadrax, the extra VCA’s not being used for audio will have a use to attenuate and/or automate CV to other sources.
I will definitely look at Quadrax.
VZvision wrote:
3. You could definitely get a smaller VCO than Rubicon2. I’m a sucker for analog VCO’s that cover a lot of ground though, so I would be inclined to start with an Oscillator I’m really excited about. This is totally my own bias though for sure.
Any suggestions on what to look at instead of the Rubicon2 ? Or is an Oscillator an actual name of something I don't know about ?
VZvision wrote:
5. Also, I don’t know if that 1U sequencer has a quantizer on board?...if you want to play melody-based music centred around scales, this will prob be necessary.
Its a shame Intellijel don't make a 1U version of Scales, so maybe I'll add that instead and maybe look at Intellijel's 1U MIDI module to install up top.

Is the Polaris a good choice ?

Some random thoughts:

What do you guys think of the Intruos CSL ?

Also wondered if you guys had looked at the AE Modular starter kits ?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:13 pm

How we've gotten this far without mentioning the WMD/SSF modules. They're compact and very full in function and easy to use.

The oscillator is the only big one and if you're in need of a dual oscillator maybe the Klavis Twin Waves.
THUMPR BC SC

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 pm

A Dixie II+ would make a good second oscillator. Thing is, if you want to get into analog FM territory you’re going to want a high pass filter to remove DC signal from your modulating oscillator or else your sound won’t hold a tune. That’s why I recommended a Shakmat Hi-Pass. It’s small and inexpensive and you wouldn’t have to tie up your Polaris for that duty.

And... just my opinion but I think the Polaris is a very boring filter sound wise. Very utilitarian. If you don’t care for the analog FM sound at least get an interesting sounding filter lol.

You should also decide how you want to control this thing. Since you have limited space I would choose to go with a 1u Midi and forget a sequencer and quantizer. That way you can control it with anything outside of the rack. Or you could go the opposite route and use a sequencer and a quantizer. Doing both is going to limit this little baby significantly.

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 pm
And... just my opinion but I think the Polaris is a very boring filter sound wise. Very utilitarian. If you don’t care for the analog FM sound at least get an interesting sounding filter lol.
OK, so what would be considered a more interesting filter ? I have no idea what's out there. Yeah I can read endless specs sheets and read reviews but unless I try it I have no idea really.
Dragonaut wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 pm
You should also decide how you want to control this thing. Since you have limited space I would choose to go with a 1u Midi and forget a sequencer and quantizer. That way you can control it with anything outside of the rack. Or you could go the opposite route and use a sequencer and a quantizer. Doing both is going to limit this little baby significantly.
I do have a sequencing groovebox but Im gonna need some kind of MIDI<->CV setup to use it Im assuming.

I also saw a good deal on a Mother 32 which could be useful here...

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 pm

To find a filter that really will tickle your fancy watch a lot of YouTube videos and look for the one that really wows you.

The intellijel 1u Midi will help you sequence from your groove box. If you want to sequence two oscillators at the same time but using different octaves you’ll need a precision adder. To make two separate melodies, you’ll need another 1u Midi. If you just want two oscillators making the same note but slightly detuned one 1u Midi will suffice.

The Mother 32 is awesome. You could definitely send Midi from it using its 1v per octave output but it will of course be the same notes playing on your M32. That thing has a great filter, though it’s not perfect for really bass-y tones.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 am

eno wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm

OK, so what would be considered a more interesting filter ? I have no idea what's out there. Yeah I can read endless specs sheets and read reviews but unless I try it I have no idea really.
As opposed to the opinions of others? Youtube is a tremendous resource and modulargrid.net allows you to easily find any type of module and watch videos of them. Sort by popular and you'll be as informed as most people since there aren't many modular stores. You can even limit the hp to keep it tight. What's more 'interesting' to you may not be to others so do your own research as well as the opinions of others. If you want to get into it then get into it.

In a small format I'd recommend the WMD/SSF Pole Zero. It has a VCA as well as filter so you're saving space.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”