BEST VCF at the moment ??

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

norbert smith
Common Wiggler

Re: BEST VCF at the moment ??

Post by norbert smith » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 am

:miley:

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Great question, easily answered!

Take a look at this rack - it’s a basic synth in 1x84hp (top row). The second row has several alternative filter options to consider:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/957045

In terms of best filter, that’s the Klangbau Twin Peaks Resonator for the most amazing ping-scape. For DIY, the best is God’s Box Humpback for wonderful crunch.

Haha! Don’t take me too seriously...

Hope that helps some :)

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:25 pm

i may be biased because the belgrad and the polaris were my first ever 2 filters i got but i still think those two have the best balance between featureset, build quality and interface (=ease of use) if you look for a mono filter with a smallish footprint but big featureset. (of all the filters i know of)

but i think filterchoice is more emotional than technical so you'll have to try out a few yourself i am afraid ;P

the system80 860 filter is a smaller version of the jove filter which is inspired by the jupiter-6, i dont have tried that one myself yet but a lot of people like it, may be also worth a look.

studioutopia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by studioutopia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

I have four filters:
Mutable Ripples - Great basic 2/4-pole multimode filter with a VCA built in. Amazing bang for the buck.
Make Noise QPAS - Not-your-standard filter. Very Unique. Basically 4 filters spread out in a stereo image. Using this in stereo is amazing.
Instruo I-o47 - This is an upgraded clone of the ARP 1047 filter from the 2500. My favourite filter...it just sounds very musical.
Intellijel Korgasmatron II - somewhat of a clone of the Korg MS20 with a lot more... Two multimode filters in parallel/Stereo or Series. This can get really dirty, but can also be really smooth. Lots of ways to modulate it. Wish I had the expander so I could modulate the Q. But then it would be 26HP!!
Each has a very different character from the others. Some are "better" at doing a type of sound.
I am quite content with these four - but I also love the Joranalogue Filter 8, Verbos Amp & Tone, Xaoc Belgrad... I could seriously go broke buying filters - thankfully I don't have the HP.....what's that saying... " Know your limit, stay within it."
On another note - I am also having a lot of fun using the Make Noise LXd low pass gate. If you vary the amplitude of the CV driving the gate, you can basically use it like a combo of VCA and a 1-pole or 2-pole low-pass filter. It has a smooth, wonderful warm sound - very different from the others.

ricko
Common Wiggler

Post by ricko » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:11 am

Most filters of the same technology sound pretty much the same by the time you put them with other instruments. And even when you can tell the difference, you dont know in advance which one suits your style or music. One ladder filter will sound pretty much the same as the next, each CEM 3320-based VCF will sound the same, each diode "steiner" filter will sound the same. So if you yse the same kinds of waveshapes as everyone else, and the same filters as everyone else, you can probably successfulky sound like everyone else.

What a lot people end up doing is getting one basic 24 db/8ve lowpass VCF module ("warm" like a moog ladder or "clean" like one of the chip based ones), one filter that offers do high pass as well (often an Oberheim design, or Steiner, a Roland 700 multimide type, or state variable design) and then (if the highpass filter is also 24db/8ve) some module that allows brighter filtering (a 303 style diode, a Moog Taurus type VCF, or 12db ARP 4023, or 6db/8ve low pass gate.)

For the Lowpass Gate, I have used the Siam Modular gate. It is dirt cheap, and passive (no power) so pretty good as far as it goes. (For the others, I dont have a recomendation. If you are a DIY builder, I find the Frequency Centeal products pretty good to build, and you buy them assembled too.) My only non-recommendation is Synthrotek Dirt: it probably wont give the effect you want, and is better as your fifth or tenth VCF, though cheap.

Caravandal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Caravandal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am

my fave is waldorf vcf1

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Caravandal wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am
my fave is waldorf vcf1
This is basically the 2-Pole in Euro format is it not?

I never understand why this doesn't seem to get much love on here. I have the 2-Pole and I think it sounds awesome, goes from smooth to really nicely driven and gnarly. The module is really reasonably priced too, it's just a tad big. A very overlooked filter IMO.

I'm looking for a new filter at the moment but only have 8-12hp of space. Front runners for me at the moment are the Pittsburgh Binary and the Joranalogue Filter-8. Trying to find some more examples of the Filter-8 getting more driven/gnarly.

If I had an extra 2hp I'd get the Pittsburgh Binary + Tallin for drive.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Vcf74 for tone shaping and color
Stereo dipole - for stereo filtering(for pads) and for pinging
TwinPeaks and VCFQ for pings. The last is a good as a simple filter too. ATC is good for coloring and resonance distorted sounds

In euro there are more vanilla but not sterile filters and FFBs that i like more than euro ones
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

chiming in on that question, what are the cleanest filters?
wondered, partly because i have a problem with my intellijel uVCF. it's creating a quiet but audible high pitched noise when i FM it with an osc
my MI Ripples doesn't do that :-/

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am

suboptimal wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:01 pm
If you want a real answer you need to get more specific about your goals.

The correct answer is Cwejman, but there are tons of dope filters out there. If you can have only one, something like Three Sisters is a good idea, but if you can get away with a single channel, I love the WMD Aperture.
@OP:
you see what confusion not having a properly defined question brings: you caused him to spell Schippmann vcf02 wrong...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ziggomatic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 pm

Rossum Evolution is my overall pick :-)

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

XAOC Belgrad.

10 Mh

Return to “Eurorack Modules”