BEST VCF at the moment ??

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: BEST VCF at the moment ??

Post by Shledge » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:09 am

There isn't really a "best" filter, or a dedicated "techno" filter. What sound characteristics are you looking for in a filter? Clean? Dirty? Distorted? Screaming? Liquidy?

For techno, I've used anything from my erica polivoks filter to MI Ripples - really depends on the context.

IEC
Common Wiggler

Post by IEC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 am

I hope you learned a valuable lesson young techno producer
Asking a forum whats the best filter just results in a list of all filters
Mind you that might be useful to some degree, if you dont know all the filters!

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:16 pm

Bionic Lester mkIII.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Rossum Electro Evolution is really nice for Techno

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:06 am

nios wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm
That's a rather difficult question because hp size / price may be factors here. You'll see tons and tons of racks with things like Ripples or Polaris in them and those are fine VCFs, just more of convenient for their size/function/cost considerations, instead of being balls-to-wall most complex and wide-ranging capability. Xaoc Belgrad is also way up there, is far more versatile than most its size since it's a dual filter, and might well be the best fit for a 104hp for its sound/function vs hp size. I just wish Belgrad was stereo, that matters a ton to me but may not be a big deal to others. Same goes for Rossum Evolution which is also an exceedingly excellent filter (besides not being stereo). Rossum Linnaeus I have yet to explore so can't really comment on, but it looks very promising.

However the "best" regardless of size is to me, currently, the SSF Stereo Dipole. Unsurprisingly I love it because it's amazing for stereo, but also can fill several roles and you can pull all sorts of neat tricks out of it, self-patch it, process different sound sources out of each half etc. There are a couple strong contenders in the larger filters too like AJH Gemini or Intellijel Morgasmatron etc, which give different capabilities/sound palette.

I must also say, I just got an IME Bionic Lester mkIII, and I'm absolutely utterly in love with the thing because of the flexibility of its routing (assignable destinations, CV-able state variable, CV-able internal VCAs with pleasant-sounding distortion/fuzz at the top end etc) and particularly how exotic it sounds running in dual comb filters. And of course it's stereo capable in addition to mono mix (which unfortunately is not CVable, that would have been awesome). It's an odd-hp module (15, compared to 14 on Belgrad) so might be more like 16 in a rack, but at this moment it's basically second only to Dipole in my view and just looking at it wants to make me power up my rack to play with and just listen to.
HUGE +1 from me for the SSF Stereo Dipole. Love that damn thing :)

Alexander Kuznetsov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:04 am

Schippmann VCF1E

Remote337
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Remote337 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 am

Intellijel Polaris takes some beating in terms of flexibility. Multiple types and poles plus distortion circuit and a phaser

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Cwejman Mmf1-s
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

IEC
Common Wiggler

Post by IEC » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Hexinverter red dragon
Erica synths multi mode filters
Malekko borg/dual borg
All the studio electronics filters

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Makenoise lxd :omg:

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:06 pm

my personal answer is intellijel polaris. i've been doing a lot of critical comparison testing between filters lately and i keep finding that i can almost perfectly duplicate the sound of a surprising number of filters using polaris. not only that, it goes above and beyond by offering input gain control with nice soft overdrive, switchable output overdrive, 4 simultaneous outs, and the allpass/phaser options. (and the interface is dead simple to use without a manual or memorization, it's not a pain in the ass.)

filters that the polaris can't imitate well mostly have one of the following unique characteristics:
- different sounding input overdrive distortion (jove/860 and cloak and dagger are two examples of great sounding overdrive)
- different sounding (generally more distorted) resonance (polivoks filters are a good example)
- different topology/functionality (three sisters is a good example, or any of the dual-peak filters)

of course there's more subtlety to it, but the only way to get familiar with the subtleties is to listen to all of them, and play around with the ones that sound promising.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm

I’m a big fan of wmd aperture but have not tried enough filters to say it’s the best

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:45 pm

There are how many filters available out there? Hundreds? Maybe not that many. But certainly more than any typical user could survey thoroughly. Most of us end up with a handful of filters, maybe losing a few to not liking them or whatever, but end up with some we really like. Me, I've got maybe 8 5U filters, but in my euro case there's just 4, and I have korgasmatron versions in both formats. The euro version, the morgasmatron, is pretty sweet, you get a dual filter with a lot of filter types and routing options - it's got great bang for the buck. I've become a real fan of the QPAS - it just sounds great to my ears. In the 5U world i really like the Synthtech 440, and the euro version of it, the e440 would be a good thing to consider IMHO.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am

I don't have it yet but the Bionic Lester mk3 looks amazing. Will pick it up at some point

I currently have the Belgrad and Wasp filter at the moment. Love them. Belgrad is very versatile and the Wasp filter can get nasty in a good way.

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 pm

For a good versatile VCF I rather like the Manhattan Analog SVVCF. It has simultaneous notch/LP/HP/BP outputs and accurate tracking when you crank up the resonance to make a sine wave. It uses discrete transistors which some feel thickens the sound.

A very nice bonus is the front end mixer which is basically the Moog modular CP3. Many feel a big part of the Moog filter sound is the overdriven CP3 that really thickens things up. (It can also mix cleanly when you keep the levels lower.)

They also make a Steiner Synthasystem VCF that is a very faithful reissue. Quirky but lots of authentic character.

https://manhattananalog.com/products/svvcf
https://manhattananalog.com/products/st ... syetem-vcf

vhansen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vhansen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:57 pm

has anybody been able to compare Rossum Linneaus to some of the more common stereo filters out there? Thinking of SSF Dipole, QPAS, etc. There's a real lack of demos for it...

pyjamarama
Common Wiggler

Post by pyjamarama » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm
Cwejman Mmf1-s
yup. it just is.. the best filter : )

jschussler
Common Wiggler

Post by jschussler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Not "best," but certainly needs to be mentioned: the Koma VCF. Check it out:

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm

I own one filter. The "best" for me :party:

vcf-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 am

22tape wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm
I own one filter. The "best" for me :party:

vcf-02.jpg
Definitely one of the best! :party:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 am

filters are overrated ;) but I look forward to my 1047

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 am

You said that you want to produce techno. Erica Synths have been producing all kinds of modules with the Acid craze going on right now. You also said something kind of dark, so I'd look into a Polivoks style. Plenty of companies use Polivoks architecture. I'd also suggest pairing your filter with a Bastl Dark matter, because you can achieve lots of grit and pumping effects out of its compressor.

khyber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by khyber » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:16 am

Three Sisters.

Full stop.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 am

Favorite is really hard, but I really like the analogue solutions telemark filter.
I have a looot of filters and each of them do something special.
Some are good for quick deep bouncy basslines, some are good for slow evolving basslines with a bit of grit, some loves to get pinged, some are good for subtle variations, some sing, some dont etc. etc.

Now if I had to choose one that I tend to use often it's the E440, I think you will like it too.
https://synthtech.com/eurorack/E440/

One tip of advice, buy used so that you can flip it over again and try something new, because you definitely want to try something new.

Another tip, get one with v/oct, as much cv as possible and you probably want a multi-mode filter

After reading some posts after mine, I just wanted to add that I also use the MA-35, it sounds very good.
Last edited by acidbob on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:38 am

I love the Eowave Fluctuations Magnétiques despite large is amazing for fluctuating and phasing work over noise and my favorite for the RFNomad, put a delay and you are in deep space exploration.... can get sick an hypnotic. Lately also really love the Manhattan Analog MA-35, finally got back the amazing MS10 filter, if you want scream it will surely scream!!!
PS: like said above I also love the AS Telemark filter, what a beauty.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”