ST Modular - Karl filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

ST Modular - Karl filter

Post by Johnnyfive » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:34 am

I couldn't find a topic on this - anyone have any experiences with the filter?

http://www.st-modular.com/karl.htm

Karl is an analog multi-mode filter that is loosely based on the KORG MS-10 and MS-20 filters, but has been improved to handle two mono or one stereo audio source. The Resonance can still be varied independently per channel, which is very interesting when using two different audio sources at once. If you want to merge the two audio sources there is a Mix Out next to the two independent outputs per channel.

Karl has four modes:

• Low Pass Mode: Classic Analog Low Pass Filter
• High Pass Mode: Classic Analog High Pass Filter
• Phaser Mode: A small band of frequencies is filtered next to the original signal being passed through
• Overdrive Mode: If Resonance is increased the filter will quickly jump to overdrive, which creates some nice Harmonics

Pusherman is selling them for £102 built, which seems good very value for a relatively small (8hp) multi-mode stereo filter (and I love my MS-20, so more of that sound is never a bad thing). I love the way it sounds when you really overdrive it, so am curious about what the overdrive setting sounds like on this.

Anyone have any experience with it? I've been looking for a stereo filter and a way to get some distortion in my rack - if this can do both, it might be a solid option (and cheap!).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”