Best quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
baleen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: sf ca

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by baleen » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm

xcc wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:24 pm
I’d highly recommend the ALM Tangle Quartet. A bit smaller, very clean.
I'm running a Tangle as well, super clean VCA. I'm not going to say "all Quads are created more or less equal" but I don't miss having the additional knob features on the Jel Quad or Veils. I'd like the additional normalled connections those have but the Mix V Channel out normalizations on Tangle do it fine for me.

Tofupancho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by Tofupancho » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 am

The Intellijel has cascading CV inputs in addition to the outputs. Convenient for me as often as I patch one control signal or the sum of a few to many destinations in a lot of patches. Especially when some don’t have attenuverters on the inputs.

I think the Malekko quad VCA deserves a mention too. 8 hp, mutes, has offsets and can scale that goes negative as well as positive, an input scanning mode, and can be recalled like presets when attached to a different Malekko module I don’t have. It’s not one knob/switch per function with the exception of the mutes, which is a fair tradeoff in my performance case.

And heck. The Make Noise X-Pan is a cool configuration of a bunch of VCAs if you’re doing the stereo thing. Fading between 4 sources (or 2 with a wet/dry copy each) is a novel approach to using 4 VCAs, still leaving a stereo channel for whatever. It’s a great gadget that makes me explore weird ways to approach things and I’m glad I have. They all sound good. I think they’re all the same TL072 chips. I think I read about a vca module that uses higher end THAT op amps, but I think it’s only 2 channels in a similar footprint and I dunno. I’ve just never felt like I’m missing out.

User avatar
cormallen
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Lamarsh, UK

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by cormallen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 am

I've just switched from an Intellijel Quad VCA to the new (2020) veils. Both are excellent. The only reason I switched was to save a couple of HP for a small case.

User avatar
rank30
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by rank30 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:59 am

Anyone had any experience with the Bastl Quattro Figaro?
:eek:

User avatar
studio460
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by studio460 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm

dros3raq wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Strange Science Instruments M4 Mixer is the best i've encountered. Intelligel Quad Vca is pretty good too.
Very nice, but very expensive! By the same token, most other brands' CV-able four-channel mixers can also serve as quad-VCAs, right? As QU-Bit's Mixology product description states, "Since the volume of each channel can be manipulated remotely via CV, the module can be used as a quad VCA." Why wouldn't you opt for a mixer like the QU-Bit, Verbos Scan & Pan, or the Xaoc Praga ($$$), each of which have built-in VCAs, over just a quad-VCA, like the Intellijel or Veils, for example? Just due to cost?

I know the Mixology is twice the price of the Intellijel/Mutable quads (and the Xaoc even more $$$), but it also has CV-able pan (a key feature for me), sends, etc. I don't yet have a VCA in my rack, but was considering a mixer like the Mixology. So if I get that, problem solved?
Image

User avatar
drxcm
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by drxcm » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:37 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm
dros3raq wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Strange Science Instruments M4 Mixer is the best i've encountered. Intelligel Quad Vca is pretty good too.
Very nice, but very expensive! By the same token, most other brands' CV-able four-channel mixers can also serve as quad-VCAs, right? As QU-Bit's Mixology product description states, "Since the volume of each channel can be manipulated remotely via CV, the module can be used as a quad VCA." Why wouldn't you opt for a mixer like the QU-Bit, Verbos Scan & Pan, or the Xaoc Praga ($$$), each of which have built-in VCAs, over just a quad-VCA, like the Intellijel or Veils, for example? Just due to cost?

I know the Mixology is twice the price of the Intellijel/Mutable quads (and the Xaoc even more $$$), but it also has CV-able pan (a key feature for me), sends, etc. I don't yet have a VCA in my rack, but was considering a mixer like the Mixology. So if I get that, problem solved?
No individual outs on mixology/ scan and pan. Fine as a mixer but not useful as 4 individual vcas

User avatar
studio460
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by studio460 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Ahh . . . thanks! At the moment, I now have a Veils and a Mixology in the rack.
Image

Cpaf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by Cpaf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm
dros3raq wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Strange Science Instruments M4 Mixer is the best i've encountered. Intelligel Quad Vca is pretty good too.
Very nice, but very expensive! By the same token, most other brands' CV-able four-channel mixers can also serve as quad-VCAs, right? As QU-Bit's Mixology product description states, "Since the volume of each channel can be manipulated remotely via CV, the module can be used as a quad VCA." Why wouldn't you opt for a mixer like the QU-Bit, Verbos Scan & Pan, or the Xaoc Praga ($$$), each of which have built-in VCAs, over just a quad-VCA, like the Intellijel or Veils, for example? Just due to cost?

I know the Mixology is twice the price of the Intellijel/Mutable quads (and the Xaoc even more $$$), but it also has CV-able pan (a key feature for me), sends, etc. I don't yet have a VCA in my rack, but was considering a mixer like the Mixology. So if I get that, problem solved?
Only few mixers offer individual outs to work as VCA. But look at the new Veils you also get offset and you can dial in the response from linear to exponential too. You don't get that with something like Praga. And the size is much less. You probably (except for super minimal racks) also need more VCA's and mixing power than what a single Mixer like Praga can do for you. Never underestimate the power of VCA's right :p

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 am

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:28 pm

cormallen wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 am
I've just switched from an Intellijel Quad VCA to the new (2020) veils. Both are excellent. The only reason I switched was to save a couple of HP for a small case.
Thinking about doing the same. Are there any differences except the sliders that I might have missed?

User avatar
rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 am
Location: Boston

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by rohelineoun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:52 pm

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:28 pm
cormallen wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 am
I've just switched from an Intellijel Quad VCA to the new (2020) veils. Both are excellent. The only reason I switched was to save a couple of HP for a small case.
Thinking about doing the same. Are there any differences except the sliders that I might have missed?
The Intellijel has switchable +6db of gain per channel. Veils has plenty of gain in reserve but it is a function of how exponential the response curve is set.

User avatar
cormallen
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Lamarsh, UK

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by cormallen » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:09 pm

rohelineoun wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:52 pm

The Intellijel has switchable +6db of gain per channel. Veils has plenty of gain in reserve but it is a function of how exponential the response curve is set.
Both of them have a lot more gain in exponential response than linear. (Also, I never once used the 6dB boost, but I imagine it could come in handy if bringing in audio from something that runs less hot than a modular).

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by Gambeat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Im thinking about Befaco Hex VCA. Its 6 instead of 4 and I heard good things about it

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:59 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm

studio460 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:38 pm
I'm thinking Veils for its acclaimed input-gain. Initially, I was going to go with the Intellijel Quad VCA, but I read here there's no input-gain, only attenuation. Wait. Is that correct? I just read the Quad's product description and it has a +6dB boost-switch.

My Phonogene's sample-playback can be real quiet and sometimes needs some gain for some reason (though, input comes in loud and clear). I'm currently compensating for this by increasing the gain on the MX-1 on its channel-strip.
weird. quiet is not something I'd ever associate with my PG. the input is loud, so much so that I don't really need my 119 before it.

User avatar
studio460
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by studio460 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm
studio460 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:38 pm
I'm thinking Veils for its acclaimed input-gain. Initially, I was going to go with the Intellijel Quad VCA, but I read here there's no input-gain, only attenuation. Wait. Is that correct? I just read the Quad's product description and it has a +6dB boost-switch.

My Phonogene's sample-playback can be real quiet and sometimes needs some gain for some reason (though, input comes in loud and clear). I'm currently compensating for this by increasing the gain on the MX-1 on its channel-strip.
weird. quiet is not something I'd ever associate with my PG. the input is loud, so much so that I don't really need my 119 before it.
Hmmm . . . now you've got me a bit worried. I bought mine second-hand (2015 model with factory-installed v372 firmware). Let me check it now. Nope. Output is definitely not as loud as the input. But I mean, these things either work or they don't work at all, right?

Okay, I've got the input-gain only at about 7 o'clock ( so, nominally, at about '1'), and the LIVE/LOOP mix-pot at about 3 o'clock, At these settings, the input-volume and output-volumes match. I mean, the output is fine, but it's always much lower than the input.
Last edited by studio460 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
studio460
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by studio460 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

By the way, I just ordered a Mutable Instruments' Veils. Mainly because Lisa said she liked its "feel." Also, so the belief that Veils' gain is much hotter (+20db) isn't true because the Intellijel's gain goes just as high in exponential-mode? (i.e., both units' gain are equal in exponential-mode?)
Image

User avatar
jonleebrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: Corvallis Oregon

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by jonleebrown » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 pm

I've been dedicated to the MI VCA... have the Veils v2 on the way now. I am excited about the more accessible layout on that one.

osten
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:19 am

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by osten » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am

I have an MI Veils II and Intellijel Quad VCA. Personally I think the Quad VCA is more versatile. The normalized CV inputs is an awesome feature that unfortunately Veils II does not have.

User avatar
IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 am
Location: Tonawanda, NY

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by IntervoxOptima » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:46 pm

Any love for the Malekko Quad VCA?

User avatar
jonleebrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: Corvallis Oregon

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by jonleebrown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:00 pm

osten wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am
I have an MI Veils II and Intellijel Quad VCA. Personally I think the Quad VCA is more versatile. The normalized CV inputs is an awesome feature that unfortunately Veils II does not have.
I can see the normalized inputs allowing more set ups more simply. I did prefer the orientation of knobs and jacks on the Quad VCA too -- vs the Veils v1 anyway.

User avatar
Saladolar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:38 am
Location: France

Re: Best quad VCA

Post by Saladolar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Which quad vca can distort/drive nicely or wildly the input ?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”