Filing down a panel that's too wide (BLM Steiner Diode Filter)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Filing down a panel that's too wide (BLM Steiner Diode Filter)

Post by soon_come » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm having a serious issue fitting this into a different case after moving it. It appears that it's just a hair or two too wide to fit in the (definitely) 6hp space left. Every other 6hp module I have will fit into this space, but after trying to make this work and managing to scratch its neighboring modules, I decided to try sandpaper. 80 grit seems to be improving the situation slightly, but I still can't get it to fit, and now my arm feels like it's going to fall off.

Any tips for this using commonly available items? I don't have much in the way of power tools.

I have half a mind to start a list of modules with non-conforming panel widths so people know to avoid certain modules if they're dealing with their last few HP. This is driving me insane. :despair:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Filing down a panel that's too wide (BLM Steiner Diode Filter)

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:41 pm

If that module has a metal panel on it, I recommend removing the panel and doing the filing away from the PCB so you don't get metal filings into the circuitry.

Revok
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Revok » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Get some sticky sided sand paper and stick it on a flat hard surface. 220 should be fairly quick. Try 320 or 400 if you're nervous about taking off too much. Keep in mind that the dust coming off of the PCB is very hazardous. Do this outside with a mask if possible.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks all, I finally got it done by just sticking to my guns and sanding it for hours. :guinness:

What a pain.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”