BLM (Blue Lantern) Steiner Diode Filter: just plain noisy or noisiest damn module in your rack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

soon_come
Common Wiggler

BLM (Blue Lantern) Steiner Diode Filter: just plain noisy or noisiest damn module in your rack?

Post by soon_come » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:04 pm

For anyone who owns this 10-stage Steiner Diode filter... does it pick up any and all interference, more so than any other module in your rack? I'm curious how it compares to other diode filters with similar designs. I have ~5 filters, and not a single one of them is even close to as noisy as this one is (with nothing plugged in). I think it's always been this way, but I recently moved it to another rack with a different PSU and it's even worse now. I'm way under utilization of power, so it's not an issue with that. I wonder if it's the proximity to digital modules or the power inlet.

Any thoughts on this? I love the character of this filter, but the way it picks up interference, it's barely usable.

:goo:

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: BLM (Blue Lantern) Steiner Diode Filter: just plain noisy or noisiest damn module in your rack?

Post by Zymos » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 am

I’ve never noticed mine being noisy.
Though I’ve never tried listening to it with no input.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: BLM (Blue Lantern) Steiner Diode Filter: just plain noisy or noisiest damn module in your rack?

Post by Blairio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am

Perhaps there is a dry joint somewhere, or a flakey component. So the noise has got worse, not because you moved the filter to a different rack with a different power supply, but simply because you moved it and disturbed some borderline connection or component?

I have a module with my local tech for repair, that failed after I moved it to another case. The diagnosis is a failed op-amp. It failed coincidentally with the move to the other case, but not because of the move.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:19 am

I’m not totally sure why the noise got even worse, but it’s always been a bit noisy. Good point, maybe a cold solder joint...

Power Mic 3K
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Power Mic 3K » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 am

I tend to re-arrange modules annually and I’ve never had any problems from the BLM Steiner Filter. It has served me well in three different cases.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks for the data, all. FWIW, BLM has amazing service and tried to help me diagnose this. He’s sending me an updated version to test and see if there’s any difference. If there’s not, it’s likely some incompatibility with the switching PSU. Power Mic 3K, can you please tell me what your PSU is? Thanks.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:32 am

Glad to hear Flavio is taking care of you. His customer service has been excellent for me, as well. Some people never forgave him for the early cloning controversy but I love his modules and he's a good person to deal with.

For what it's worth my Hermippe (MS 20 style) vcf from BLM is not noisy at all. Once I dialed in the Q trimpot to my taste (big props for having it accessible via front panel!) it became a really sweet sounding filter. Hopefully when you get the replacement Steiner, all will be well. :tu:

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:37 am

Can you (deftinwulf) share power details as well, please?

Here’s my rundown of powering this thing:

Linear monorocket PSU - not so noisy
Zeus Studio Bus - kinda noisy
Malekko Power - pretty damn noisy

I do wonder if it’s the brick I’m using for the Malekko (I think it’s a Cincon, but I’ve also tried a Meanwell), and not the bus board.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 am

Sure. It's in a Mantis case (w/ factory TipTop power brick). I have it racked right next to a Livestock Leap ADSR which I'm pretty sure is digital; no noise issues.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks!

To be clear, when I say “noise” I don’t mean white noise. I mean radio / cell phone interference, even when my cell phone is off / not nearby.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 am

do you happen to have a braids or a kermit nearby? i've had issues where analog modules would pick up weird sounds from digital modules on the same power bus. does it make noises when it's on the bus by itself?

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:20 am

dooj88 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 am
do you happen to have a braids or a kermit nearby? i've had issues where analog modules would pick up weird sounds from digital modules on the same power bus. does it make noises when it's on the bus by itself?
Good question. I’m not using it with a flying bus board, FWIW. I have not tried unplugging every single module (~10) in that case because it would be a huge pain in the ass. But I may have to try that eventually. It lives next to two digital modules (delay and reverb), so I’ve considered that as well - could be the culprit. I just don’t understand why (for ex) a Pittsburgh FLTR nearby doesn’t exhibit similar behavior. Thanks all.

Power Mic 3K
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Power Mic 3K » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm

soon_come wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:28 am
Power Mic 3K, can you please tell me what your PSU is?
One is a model PA-1900-24 “Replacement AC Adapter” powering a 4MS Row Power 30 and Row Power 40 in separate cases. I sometimes daisy chain the two cases. IIRC, I got that PSU from 4MS as it was recommended for those power modules.

The other is a Volgen (Kaga Electronics USA) model KTPS50-1533DT-3P-VI powering a Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-96 case.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”