Sequencers with Independent Control over CV & Gate Time Signatures

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Sequencers with Independent Control over CV & Gate Time Signatures

Post by SunPulse » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Most important, I hope everyone is safe & well!

I would like to do a sequencer setup where the control over pitch, gates, accents, etc. is able to run on independent time signatures. For example:
  • The pitch sequence is in 5:4
    The gate sequence is in 4:4
    The accent sequence is randomized
I was looking at Ladik and it looks like I can do that with a combination of modules. Are there better solutions though?

Thanks!
Instagram: sunpulse.ay

James_Fredrickson
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Sequencers with Independent Control over CV & Gate Time Signatures

Post by James_Fredrickson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:19 pm

You can achieve this with the WMD Metron and a Voltera expander. It allows polymeters of gates and cvs, independent from one another. It also has a robust analog random generator built in (at least I think it's analog). It doesn't however allow for polyrhythms, but I'm not sure if any sequencer in euro does straight out of the box. Maybe someone else can chime in on this??

minatorymodular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minatorymodular » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm

You just need an independent trigger/gate sequencer and CV sequencer (and maybe a quantizer if the cv sequencer doesn't quantize). There's a lot of options for both. Doudoroff has a comparison page for sequencers somewhere around here.

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Post by SunPulse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Thank you for your replies!

Turns out that I already the solution to what I need, at least one part of it anyways. It looks like I can do this with multiple Korg SQ-1 sequencers that are synced together using the sync in & out jacks. The SQ-1 sequencers let you set the sequence length, so if I set the sequence length on different SQ-1's to different lengths I should be able to set up some complex sequence patterns. For example, with 3 SQ-1 sequencers I should be able to set each one to different sequence lengths, patterns, etc and they should all be slaved to whichever one is the clock source (I hope).

Only one way to find out, buy two more SQ-1's! After that I want to figure out how to sync the whole thing to Patterning 2.

:yay:

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Post by SunPulse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Just discovered a little quirk to that plan. I was just reading the Korg SQ-1 FAQs; the sync jacks don't synchronize the start/stop commands, only the clock. If I want to synchronize start/stop as well as the clock that has to be done with MIDI In.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”