Jomox T-Rackonizer as a stereo filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ThriceGood
Learning to Wiggle

Jomox T-Rackonizer as a stereo filter

Post by ThriceGood » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 am

Hello,

I was considering some stereo filters and thought about the T-Rackonizer. It would be nice to have stereo filtering capabilities and also all the extra effects provided by the module. The first thing it has to be though is a good resonant stereo filter capable of making traditional filter sounds. Can it do standard resonant filter sounds? Does feedback work like resonance? And also, can the effects be bypassed or be totally taken out of the mix?

Thanks for the help!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Jomox T-Rackonizer as a stereo filter

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am

You can skip the effect by leaving "Delay In" at zero.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a filter, or for a delay or reverb. The feedback can be hard to balance in that magical zone where it sounds great but doesn't explode into shrieking chaos. Of course if you're into shrieking chaos, it's the module for you.

There are completely separate CVs for both sides, so as a stereo filter it has no advantages over getting a pair of Doepfer filters or Cinnamon or Ripples etc.

If you want single control over cutoff and resonance but stereo processing, with extra effects, Qu-Bit Prism might be a good choice. The delay lacks a few features for my tastes but it sounds good, and the filter is quite decent.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

inoshi
Common Wiggler

Post by inoshi » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

i have one! :party:

i've had it for 3 months. it's very difficult to use. If you're after traditional filter sounds, i don't think this is what you're looking for because it has very strange behavior with minor changes to parameters.

The CV ins are +5v for the full range, and the knobs act as attenuators when a cable is patched. due to the finickyness of the params, an offset generator is probably desired.
Oddly the 'param' params are not cv'able. These params apply to the effects, such as delay time, reverb time, etc...

It's really cool and interesting to experiment with. It might work well as a traditional filter. I wouldn't know, never tried it.
As of now, i really have no idea what Jomox intended with this module. I love Jomox and i'm not saying that the module is in any way 'bad', just that it is very advanced and probably will not satisfy a large portion of wigglers because it is not immediately obviously how it works or how to make it sound good.

Hope that helps!

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 pm

AJH Gemini 2412
Wmd Overseer

Just some options..
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Wmd Mscl
You probably mean WMD Overseer. MSCL is the compressor.

There are getting to be lots of options for stereo filters. Rossum’s Linnaeus looks like another good choice if you wanted something less crazy than T-Rackonizer and with a single set of CV inputs that drive both channels. I don’t have Linnaeus (yet) but I do have Morpheus- that also fits the bill, but is kinda climbing the hill back into crazy land. In a very interesting and less “shrieking chaos” way than T-Rack, of course..

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:18 am

The T-Rackonizer is weird. Just like the T-Resonator, it's parts by themselves aren't all that interesting - the reverb won't make anyone forget their "real" reverb units, the filters are fairly dull, etc. The sum of the parts is what makes it cool, at least in theory.

Given the insanely low used prices these are fetching, there's little risk in test driving it. Don't pay full price, there's no need. The T-R series in general is polarizing. What it does well is be a T-Rackonizer - that is to say, don't expect it to sound like an Eventide reverb module equipped with Cwejman filters. It's rude, it's crude, it collapses into feedback outrage,* and it can be CV controlled. But thinking of it as a "stereo filter" is probably going to leave you feeling underwhelmed, in part because it's not easy to control in a conventional way.

ThriceGood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThriceGood » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 am

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that I had a T-Resonator years ago but I just can't remember trying to get any traditional filter sounds out of it, I just went straight for the madness, which it is great at. After some thought I realized that I can't really choose a filter that does not at least have a band pass mode. I've been thinking about the AJH Gemini 2412 and will probably go for that instead.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 am

Rossum’s Linnaeus definitely does band pass.

“LINNAEUS’s channel output response characteristics are independently and continuously variable from Lowpass, through Bandpass, Highpass and Notch, to Low and High Shelving characteristics. Voltage control of the response characteristics are independently selectable for each of the two channels.”

I don’t have one yet, but I will someday..

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 am

nangu wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Wmd Mscl
You probably mean WMD Overseer. MSCL is the compressor.
Yes! Corrected. :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”