Stereo processing 'channel' in (your Euro)rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Stereo processing 'channel' in (your Euro)rack

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:20 am

I want to build up a stereo processing channel as addition to the rack, how would you go about this? E.g. which modules.

My desired specs are:
o Outstanding S/N
o Outstanding dynamics
o Stereo
o VCA(‘s)
o LFO(‘s)
o Envelope generator with controllable threshold, hold time, and cycling mode.
o Envelope follower with controllable sensitivity, threshold and attack and release times.
o Multimode filter with input and output drive control, lowpass, bandpass, and highpass modes, and controllable Q. Not a wild filter, well rounded and very controllable.
o Several saturation/distortion modes
o Processing options for sidechaining effects

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Stereo processing 'channel' in (your Euro)rack

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 am

Check out modulargrid.net and search 'dual/stereo' function. You'll get lots of results and videos under the modules to guid you.
THUMPR BC SC

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Honestly, I would consider an Analog Heat, OTO BOUM or a nice rack unit like the Overstayer Modular Channel. Outstanding S/N ratio isn’t really eurorack’s thing.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Overstayer Modular channel - no lfo though
Rodec/Sherman Restyler
NIIO Analog Iotine Core 4
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I'm aware of Modulargrid. ;)
I am particularly curious for experiences that you might have pulling of the same in your euro setup (or perhaps reasons to not do it in Euro format..)

My options before starting this thread were very much the same as what the recommendation so far are. :)

Niio Analog Iotine Core 4
~
OTO BOUM
~
Elektron Analog Heat
~
Euro (filters/compressors so far, vca, env, lfo to be added): WMD Overseer or AJH Gemini 2412 or Rossum Linnaeus + WMD MSCL (also really like the functionality of the AJH Finaliser, but the maximizer section is single channel unfortunately)

}}

The Iotine and Analog Heat are looking mighty good, but euro offers to expand and swap out parts which I really like plus integration with the rest of the euro system..
Overstayer looks to be epic but above budget for me.
I've had a Restyler. Loved the results you could get and built like a tank, but getting it dialed right is hard, repeating results nigh on impossible..

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm

I will add a +1 for the Analog Heat. It is great sounding and very easy to work with. It also has a CV input and extensive MIDI control, so you could add something like the Befaco VCMC to your rack and get the Heat responding to all sorts of wild stuff happening in the rack. That said, I switch off between that and my modular about 50/50 when it comes to processing my tracks.

As far as modules go, these are some of my favorites for this stuff.

Xaoc Tallin is a lovely sounding dual VCA/overdrive in 6hp. It sounds absolutely killer with feedback.

I really like the response of the Befaco Rampage's (or Sin Phi Miasma) envelope followers and generators, and it gives you lots of useful logic outputs based on your signal. Also sounds great as a stereo distortion and lofi filter. I use it for compression and dynamics control a lot and have no complaints.

Joranalogue Compare 2 is an excellent threshold controller for any compressor patch. It also can be a really cool sounding stereo square wave distortion--nice for filtering and then mixing back in with the original signal for some crunchy dirt.

Mutable Instruments Frames makes for a REALLY interesting dynamics controller on its own or for external VCA's and filters. When combined with an envelope follower it gives you 4 completely custom channels of dynamics control with adjustable curve response. I like to use it to control the level of my Tallin as well as a couple filters, so the levels and frequency of my signals are all responding to the incoming audio. I also really like using it with multifilters like Three Sisters, where you can set up behavior where your bass, middle, and high frequencies are all being compressed in different amounts and with different curves.

Instruo Tahn3 is a three channel distortion/limiter that sort of emulates the sound of tape saturation. Does wonders with feedback paths. No CV control, but its effect is entirely dependent on input level so you can place a VCA before it to handle that if needed.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 pm

Some suggestions:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/geminis-path/ (Stereo processing and dynamics Control)
https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/overseer/ (Stereo filter)
https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/s ... lack-gold/ (Super feature packed stereo filter, with saturation)

...then maybe Make Noise Maths for envelopes and LFOs, and possibly envelope following, although I can’t remember how fiddly it is to set that up...

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am

not stereo, but cwejman mbc-3 is a dream come true for processing combined with other modules you want to integrate

starting in mono is quite a bit more flexible and generally less of a patching mess, and then you can use a euro mixer with cv panning to set your stereo image. theres good stereo modules, but to keep the whole chain stereo with that list of requirements i would use outboard

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am

damase wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am
not stereo, but cwejman mbc-3 is a dream come true for processing combined with other modules you want to integrate

starting in mono is quite a bit more flexible and generally less of a patching mess, and then you can use a euro mixer with cv panning to set your stereo image. theres good stereo modules, but to keep the whole chain stereo with that list of requirements i would use outboard
More and more the direction I'm leaning in indeed, also considering the upsides of the Analog Heat mentioned in this thread.
Thank you all for the recommendations.

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 pm

I try to keep my signals mono as much as I can.
Then, 2 things can happen : 1) I reach a module which has a stereo out, typically an effect such as chorus/delay or 2) I reach my "end-of-the-line" and send my mono signal to a mixer with a stereo output. Then I send the resulting mix into my mixing table.
I usually do not process signals once they are stereo although I plan to do so in the <arumph> not too far future...
My experience, though, is that I'm starting to have problems mixing everything in the rack. And the perspective of going "all-stereo" seems completely unreasonable...
... and yet I'd like to play in quad some day... :doh:

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 pm

no eurorack-stereo-channel-strip is complete without a LRMSMSLR from WORNG Electronics imho 8-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”