Playable Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Playable Sequencer

Post by Flamusic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am

Can some one tell me whats the most playable sequencer in Eurorack ?
I like the feature on the Voltageblock a lot to press several steps to play them back in the order i press them.
Is this possible with any other sequencer ?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Playable Sequencer

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:06 am

“Playable” is highly subjective. I would generally think that classic/analog sequencers are the most playable, because they’re truly one-knob-per-function, but it all depends. Muxlicer, DU-SEQ, A-155, Sequencer 8, Verbos Multistage, and many many utility sequencers.

One sequencer that you can set arbitrary playback orders with is the Dnipro Metamorph.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 am

Stillson Hammer is really playable and can be very straight forward and/or experimental.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 am

Westlicht Performer. It’s a bit divey, and a bit deep. I’m still working with it at quite a surface level, tbh, but the potential is there, no doubt.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:52 am

intellijel Metropolis is the first that comes to mind when you say playable (i don't agree that it's something that is very subjective).

I do miss mine sometimes even though i have Voltage Block which is kind of similar. Voltage Block is as playable (if you by playable mean immediate/fast), but i don't think the results are always on pair with Metropolis, it's somehow easier to get funkier grooves in no time with that sequencer.. if i had the money i'd probably get like 4 of them instead of VB hehe. I do think VB is great for the money though.

Also, sliders is where its at, forget knobs, its not as playable / fast. If you've used sliders you don't want to go back to sequencers with knobs.

Stepper Acid is another favorite. Very fast / immediate and makes 100% sense to use due to the keyboard. It's better than VB but it's also just 1 channel..

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am

Klee. Man I want a klee...

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:35 pm

If you can find a Kilpatrick K2579 Step Sequencer, it is a very playable device. Many functions can be changed while playing and can hold 16 two part 16 step sequences and 8 songs in a 14HP space. No longer in production but you might find one somewhere.
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 12.31.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 12.31.27 PM.png (151.63 KiB) Viewed 938 times
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Keltie wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 am
Westlicht Performer. It’s a bit divey, and a bit deep. I’m still working with it at quite a surface level, tbh, but the potential is there, no doubt.
I second this. It's more playable than an elektron sequencer, that is westlicht got everything right where elektron didn't. It's got transposition, not loosing the "1" when changing pattern length to and fro, separating conditional triggers from probability, different divisions and scales per track, 4 CV in to top it off, plus more.

ZatsuOn
Common Wiggler

Post by ZatsuOn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:11 pm

This thread really got me thinking: "what is playability?" The ability to make changes in the moment? But sequencers are in some sense about repeating something previously programmed. So it seems that with a sequencer playability depends on being able to do the sequencer programming -- or modify that programming -- in real time. Most of the sequencers that I think of as playable make it easy to make musically interesting changes on the fly. But there always seems to be a trade-of between the breadth of possibilities and the complexity of controlling the sequencer. For me the ones that do this best are Rene, Metropolis and Circadian Rhythms. The Eloquencer has some cool abilities to add randomness to various parameters, that kind of puts a different spin on the idea of playabliity. And that opens the question of mixed programming and randomness - so, things like Turing Machine come into the picture.

I think the most un-playable sequencer is the one in the Mother32 -- but maybe that's just me.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:34 pm

ZatsuOn wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:11 pm
Most of the sequencers that I think of as playable make it easy to make musically interesting changes on the fly. But there always seems to be a trade-of between the breadth of possibilities and the complexity of controlling the sequencer
Agreed.

I want Ableton in modular form. But it can't be anything like Ableton. And it has to be restricted to just a few knobs or god forbid...a grid. And it can't be a grid. But it needs all the capabilities of a grid. And it has to be < 20 hp. But it can't be too small. Needs to be > 40 hp so it's playable. It needs to "break the shackles of linearity" - but it also needs song mode. It needs "one knob per function", but also has 16 tracks.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:54 pm

I think one of the common mistakes is to focus too much on the sequencer itself and not enough on the context. The sequencer is part of the modular. Yes, play the sequencer in the ways it is designed to played, but play (modify) the sequence downstream in ways the sequencer cannot on its own.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:58 pm

I have a hard time with that since for me that means I need an additional quantizer (at least for v/Oct sequencing). I prefer the sequencer to be that downstream module that can be altered from other modules without needing adders and quantizers. Can it easily be sequenced, transposed, etc

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:09 pm

I hear you, but downstream is where a lot of the magic is.

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Up to today i had the most fun with Stillson Hammer and the Voltage block for sequencing.
I really liked the A and B knobs on the Hammer to manipulate the sequence.
And i really liked the playability of the Voltage block where i can hold one or several steps to make some kind of fills.
Also the ability to switch presets on the fly (not only after the sequence has ended)
A mix of the Stillson Hammer and the Voltage block features would be the ideal sequencer for me i think.

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:49 am

Lokua wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:58 pm
I have a hard time with that since for me that means I need an additional quantizer (at least for v/Oct sequencing). I prefer the sequencer to be that downstream module that can be altered from other modules without needing adders and quantizers. Can it easily be sequenced, transposed, etc
The CV add and S&H modes on Rene are a lot of fun for transposition whilst keeping the same quantisation.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am

benofbrown wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:49 am
Lokua wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:58 pm
The CV add and S&H modes on Rene are a lot of fun for transposition whilst keeping the same quantisation.
Performer is good at this, too. 4 CV ins you can route to pretty much everything with custom ranges (transpose within 1 octave, only octaves, 4 semitones, whatever).

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:54 am

Lokua wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am
Performer is good at this, too. 4 CV ins you can route to pretty much everything with custom ranges (transpose within 1 octave, only octaves, 4 semitones, whatever).
Cool, I've only really used Rene as far as sequencers go, good to know there's lots of interesting options out there.

TheMentat
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMentat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:08 am

I want Ableton in modular form. But it can't be anything like Ableton. And it has to be restricted to just a few knobs or god forbid...a grid. And it can't be a grid. But it needs all the capabilities of a grid. And it has to be < 20 hp. But it can't be too small. Needs to be > 40 hp so it's playable. It needs to "break the shackles of linearity" - but it also needs song mode. It needs "one knob per function", but also has 16 tracks.
Haha... nice!

Puscha
Common Wiggler

Post by Puscha » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 pm

I've been posting my praises about it in some other threads, but I've found monome ansible to be the most immediate and playable sequencer for eurorack by far! It's excellent to have a grid controller that's external from your patching, to separate the way that you think about playing and composing notes and gates.

I made this video to demonstrate how playable it is by improvising and building up a sequence from scratch:

I think Rene with Tempi is also really playable, but it didn't feel precise enough, as in you can't immediately jump from this note to that, which is number one in my mind for something being playable.

comacomfort
Common Wiggler

Post by comacomfort » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:48 pm

I've not used it but endorphin.es Ground control wins because its got a 2 octave keyboard.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Rene seems very “playable” I’ll second that. I’d throw Pittsburgh KB-1 as playable.

papastratman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papastratman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:07 am

I third the Westlicht Performer.
I've replaced Pamela's, an O&C running Sequins, another O&C running Quantermain, a precision adder, two mults, and a Euclidean Circles in my live case with one.
It took a little longer to figure out than the rest, but it's also infinitely more powerful and easier to change during a performance.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 am

Puscha wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 pm
that is a nice clip!!

Dibek
Common Wiggler

Post by Dibek » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:32 am

Intellijel Tetrapad/Tete Combo is a very playable sequencer.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:39 am

Lokua wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:24 pm
Keltie wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 am
I second this. It's more playable than an elektron sequencer, that is westlicht got everything right where elektron didn't. It's got transposition, not loosing the "1" when changing pattern length to and fro, separating conditional triggers from probability, different divisions and scales per track, 4 CV in to top it off, plus more.
I would be quite curious to know what you mean by what Westlicht got right and Elektron didn't? Not trying to be sarcastic...really keen to hear about these differences. I have recently got a first Elektron device and found the sequencer to be quite playable and powerful. I'm also looking at whether the Performer could add to my current set up.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”