Cwejman owners, current or past

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Cwejman owners, current or past

Post by akrenaut » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 am

Cwejman owners: current or past.

The modules command very high prices and it appears they have so for years.
Limited production, and to buy one new it seems you have to be on a waiting list.

A few questions for current or past Cwejman module owners.

1. Did you find the quality of sound or functionality
to be in line with the price paid for the module?
(i.e. was it worth it?)

2. If you purchased a module, used it and then sold it... What was the reason?
Using too much hp..
To fund different modules..
Didn't meet your expectations..

3. What do/did you love and or dislike about the module?

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Cwejman owners, current or past

Post by Jaypee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 am

1. YES!

2. Only sold MK1 to buy MK2. hehe.

3. I'm currently selling a VC-ADSR-2. It's just too big. But the features...make the patching so smooth! I will regret it, I know.
At some point I had some modules in double...and didn't use them. Now they make other Muffwigglers happy :)

General comment :
Cwejman, Schippmann, Mungo. Probaby the most expensive modules, but also the best ones, at least for me. Open modular designs.
The only brand I haven't tested yet is Verbos. But it's another subject for another thread :)

You can't go wrong with Cwejman.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:36 am

1. Yes, I had a VCO2RM and still have a RES4 and S1 MK2

2. The VCO2RM was sold to fund the S1 when my turn came on the waiting list. There’s sufficient overlap and function for me personally not to need both, I have digital oscillators and other patchable analogue synths

3. Feel is great, layout and design clear, and the sound is really good with lots of room to experiment. Stable tracking and they just respond really well to being played and modulated. Makes the sounds I want to hear

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:35 am

1. Yes, so long as you are paying MSRP and not some crazy, inflated second hand price.

2. I have never sold any of my Cwejman.

3. Built like a tank, great tracking on VCO's, some cool extra features on their VCF's. They are just nicely thought out modules. But they are not magic.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 am

i had over 84hp - bought used on a whim because the deal was to good to pass up on, sold because i couldnt justify the cost/possible resale value

built like a tank, especially those beautifully creamy pots, so many nice well thought out features/good ergonomics etc, but,

i just found the sound too clean/boring half the time... ymmv

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:11 am

1) Yes and no—I had a QMMF-4 for a while and I suppose didn’t feel it was worth it, since I sold it, but that was neither due to quality or sound, per se; it was very good at everything it did

2) Too big, and tied up too much cash, when I could get pretty much all the value for my purposes from smaller, cheaper, more varied modules

3) I got it mainly to experiment with RES-4 style filter pinging and I enjoyed it for that purpose. (I subsequently heard that it wasn’t quite as adept for this purpose as the RES-4, despite being an augmented RES-4 design.) Otherwise, I wound up using it mainly for saturation and EQ-ish purposes. I appreciated it was very well made and every aspect of it performed well. I don’t think there was anything I disliked about it.

My perspective—having dipped my toe in—is that one must cut through the myth and mystique of the Cwejman brand and recognize that he designs and builds modules in an extremely narrow scope. He’s like Porsche—or like Porsche used to be. Most of his products overlap, which isn’t to say they don’t each have their specialties. They are not magical. However, as high performance devices—that attention to engineering detail and the expensive parts—magic can be wrought with them as tools in the right hands (e.g., Kilchofer). Cwejman does not have a monopoly on high performance tools. Many other Eurorack producers have products their equal, and they’re sometimes cheaper because they can be. Recent examples: Rossum Evolution, Synth Tech E300. Nits will be picked. Whatever. A rack of Cwejman modules certainly won’t inherently improve the music you make.

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Post by akrenaut » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:57 am

Thank you all for your insight and responses.

It would be great if there was a local music shop with them racked along side various manufactures to hear in person, patch, compare and contrast.
...maybe that's a good thing there isn't as I may spend too much time at that store.

norbert smith
Common Wiggler

Post by norbert smith » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:39 am

1. no

Two exemples:
Adsr-vc2, 619€ for 2 adsr, 2vcas and vc over all segments.
If you only need 2 adsr, buy something else.
If you need all functions, maybe look at doepfer a-141-2, 130€
You can take 2 modules for 260€, have more functions and it will be more than half the price of the cwejman.

Vca4mx, 529€
4 vcas and some mixer functions
I prefer mutable veils which has 4 vcas and mixer functions too and has better sound in my mind with overdrive capabilities. It’s 179€.

And build quality is not twice better.
I have 4 cwejman modules and 2 have scratchy pots. None of my doepfer or mutable actually have....

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:40 am

1. No
2. The price didn't reflect any significant benefit of what modules in the same category couldn't achieve.
3. Despite the nostalgia of owning such rare modules (in today's market), I couldn't warrant keeping it.

In the end, any module is worth what someone thinks it's worth.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 am

Again seeing here "built like a tank". With only one actual example of what that means. "those creamy pots".

For those who feel it, What is it specifically that leads to your "built like a tank" conclusion?

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:12 am

Differences between Cwejman construction and some cheaper modules:

The back is a PCB with little or no metal exposed, protecting the components from accidental damage or short circuits from stray things in cases.

Minijack sockets (same as Orthogonal devices) are very solid and do not have any flex or movement.

Thick powder coated panels which do not easily scratch

Knobs which do not move around apart from the directions they are supposed to

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 am

I do like the Cwejman VCAs in the MX-4S (same as those in the VCA-4MX).
It's very easy to get a good response out of them, whereas with some other VCAs in my system I need to spend some time scaling the envelopes, making minute adjustment to the curves etc. They're fast, clean and neutral and are not meant to be overdriven. Look for "character" elsewhere.
Last edited by huffnPuff on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Esnan
Common Wiggler

Post by Esnan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:31 am

1. Kind of. I had a MMF-6 which I sold, but I'm keeping my MX-4S.

2. Bought the mixer because I wanted something that sounded good and that would use in every patch. The MX-4S is really good at being a dynamic 4ch mixer. The MMF-6 was my most expensive module to date when I bought it. It was fun bit I just didn't gel with the sound.

3. I like simple modules and try to avoid settings and menus, and Cwejman modules just do what you think they do, super clear labelling and functions.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:45 am

I share the sentiment that Cwejman modules work as you'd expect them to. In eurorack, that's saying a lot TBH.

It's obvious that someone went to the trouble of tuning them so that they just work. Good, thorough engineering and a critical ear to accompany that.

Rudloe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rudloe » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:49 am

1. 100% YES

2. NO

3. The sound quality is creme de la creme. I also have full Serge and Make Noise systems. They're all different and its impossible to say which is better,
as they all have their own sound. Cwejman has high quality builds and sounds amazing. Don't let others tell you otherwise.

Rudloe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rudloe » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:51 am

I have 4 cwejman modules and 2 have scratchy pots. None of my doepfer or mutable actually have....
[/quote]

Maybe because you use the Cwejman the most, coz you love them :sarcasm:

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am

1. Yes

2. I have had 5 Cwejman modules for years, 1 was amongst my first modules bought over 10 years ago. I have sold quite a number of modules on my journey but none of them has ever been Cwejman.

3. I have had more than 10 different filters over the years, 5 in my system now- and the MMF-6 and DMF-2 are IMO awesome sounding and very flexible. ADSR-VC2 and CTG-VC are solid for shaping with all the functionality I could want for. If money wasn’t a constraint I would want to try plenty more (disregarding availability for the moment!)... fact remains it’s a lot of $$$ regardless if I do believe what I have is worth every bit.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 am

1. VCO2RM. 100% oh hell yes. Wait patiently and you'll get one at not insane prices.

2. Won't sell, and will never sell.

3. There's nothing I don't love about it, the ability to turn the second osc into an LFO, all the input jacks, it sounds like a freakin' Moog.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

The Disquiet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Disquiet » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:28 pm

I have pretty much all the modules. Never sold one. So many reasons to love; VCOs and filters track like no other brand, super versatile, sounddesign heaven. Here's a few examples of how they can sound:

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:43 pm

I almost feel a little bad for the manufacturer in this case because a lot of people (myself absolutely) have totally sworn off any interest in his offerings due to the second hand price gouging.

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

No. Don't get me wrong, It's quality stuff, but was always difficult to justify hanging onto, based on absurd expense. This was back in 2008-2010 and was buying new (I had the VCO2-RM, 2 of the VCO-6's, RES-4 and the SPH-2).

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:05 am

Cwejman modules put a smile an my face every single day. That's enough for me.
They are also the fastest modules, meaning I instantly get what I want. Every single knob feel exactly how it should. The filter resonances for example dont have many sweetspots, it is one morphing sweetspot all the way. Audio FM of oscs or filtercutoff or everything else for that matter sounds just very high end even at very high frequencies.

price: might feel expensive at the beginning but as soon as the modules are embedded into the workflow they are just powerhorses.

I recently got two Synth tech e300 ultra oscs. First OSC I tried that sounds as good as the VCO-6 whose new price was 80€ more in Germany but also has this wonderful PWM options on the saw and pulse waves.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm

The build quality is excellent. Only sold a few where I had duplicates or found a comparable counterpart.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:38 pm

akrenaut wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 am
Cwejman owners: current or past.

The modules command very high prices and it appears they have so for years.
Limited production, and to buy one new it seems you have to be on a waiting list.

A few questions for current or past Cwejman module owners.

1. Did you find the quality of sound or functionality
to be in line with the price paid for the module?
(i.e. was it worth it?)

YES

2. If you purchased a module, used it and then sold it... What was the reason?
Using too much hp..
To fund different modules..
Didn't meet your expectations..

N/A

3. What do/did you love and or dislike about the module?
They sound amazing and are a joy to use . You won’t lose money if you buy for a reasonable price and decide to sell so I’d say just go for it .

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:42 pm

1- Yes,worth it D-LFO a great module. Never will sell.

2- Got long time a go a Res-4, too big, paid too much, I'm selling it.

3- Nothing to dislike.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”