Psychedelic Lead/Jam Synth

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

henneke
Learning to Wiggle

Psychedelic Lead/Jam Synth

Post by henneke » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:47 am

Hello!

After 10 years of fiddling around with music production I decided to go the modular way :)
In the past years I made some solid tracks in the domain of techno/psy/downtempo. Most of them are lacking some kind of "living lead sounds" that draws the listener attraction and spins a story around a track. To overcome that I started using NI Monark - There it was. Monophonic lead sounds that fit perfectly in most of my tracks with enough space to all the other elements in my tracks. Not living though...

So i just got me a Moog Mother 32 and started expanding from there.
My goal with my modular setup:
- Freeing myself from sitting in front of the computer screen to make music
- Creating moving and modulated lead sounds
- Exploration (Since I studied somewhat of John Cage etc. during my bachelors in design I really like the experimental and generative approach)
- A certain degree of percussion elements that can be modulated too
- Possibility to bring it to a jam session and jam the hell out of it (my jam session group likes noise stuff bleeps and blops pitch shifts etc.)
- For a jam session I was looking at a Arturia Keystep Pro to have a nice sequencing control and be able to switch to poly synths VSTs (Serum, Diva)

---

Here is the modular grid link for the setup I am aiming for:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1164868

I already own:
Moog Mother 32
Dual Precision VCO
Morgasmatron
EG (141-2 VCADSR) which should be replaced by the behringer 140 (i like to control attack and decay by hand)
Outs
Maths
Quad VCA
Disting (ordered but has not arrived yet)

Just borrowed:
BIA (wow! i need one)
Wavefolder

Things to put in:
Wogglebug (More random manipulation for the generative approach)
2hp Hat (i like the sound and I think it will make sense to get some nice moving hihats)
ES-3 (mainly to have maximum possibilities - also with existing tracks and modulations in Ableton --> CV Tools)

--

What do you guys think? I this a solid setup to get into the world of modular synthesis?
Will it fullfill my needs? Anything I should throw out? Anything to throw in?

Thanks for your time!
Hen

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Psychedelic Lead/Jam Synth

Post by Agawell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 am

Hi Henn

not to be funny - but have you read any other similar posts? there are a ton here, on Modulargrid and reddit/r/modular

basically they usually say the same thing - more modulation and or more utility modules - you are on the more utiltiy modulaes track I think

I'd add as an absolute minimum MI links and kinks - these are a good utility starter set - a buffered mult, 2 utility mixers, a rectifier, logic and a sample and hold - really useful
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Wogglebugs are fun.

I think you've got a big need for a mixer. You've got lots of sounds and CVs but limited ways to mash them together. You're also lacking in utilities. You've got some pretty big modules, which is well and good, but it's leaving you with limited options in that rack.

Is it possible to put the Mother32 in its own box? I think that will give you plenty of space for a mixer and some utilities (Kinks and Links are, as mentioned, a great place to start). You don't need to get them now, you can figure out what you need by playing with the thing and getting stuck.

You also may find that the benefit of having an Output module does not justify the space it takes in a small case like this. But you'd need to have some kind of external mixer available in its place. you could, for instance, forego the 2hp hat and remove the Outs to fit said Links and Kinks.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm

+1 for putting the M32 back in its own case. A mixer would be good. I think I’d be looking at filters, too ... but then, I’m always looking at filters.
-n :ninja:

My FOR SALE thread
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 am

Naenyn wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm
+1 for putting the M32 back in its own case. A mixer would be good. I think I’d be looking at filters, too ... but then, I’m always looking at filters.
They've got the Morgasmotron, that's two filters, plus the moog. Don't be getting them worked up over more filters!

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:06 am

Id wait until the disting arrives, use that for a month or so and see which settings you keep coming back to.. or wish you could have 'always on' and get one of those. and repeat.

henneke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henneke » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am

Hi!

Yeah I am already on the route of putting the Mother back in its case (Have to change my studio setup to have access to everything though). Also I will drop any kind of Drums (BIA + Hats) for now (I feel more comfortable to lay them down in Ableton anyway - And if I want to expand on that route I will probably get a dedicated Drum Machine).

When I was patching yesterday I realised the need of Utilities and more Modulation. I ordered the Kinks and Links Package and will get a Peaks (instead of Wogglebug) as well. Also realised that I need something to mix. The Moog has a 2 Channel mixer and also the VCO + Noise/External Mixer. If I let go of BIA and Hats that should be sufficient for now (i think). Also the Morgasmatron can mix 2 signals if needed.

The main reason to have the modular is to get tracks done. I dont think that more percussions will help me to fulfil that purpose.

I like the "waiting for the disting" idea - till then I will keep my mother in the case and have a good feeling that there is more space for future modules :)

henneke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henneke » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:20 am

Hey Ho!

So i ended up with this current setup: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1164868
Now I want to expand (get the mother back in the case)

First of all I want to have better cabability of sequencing from Ableton (The Mother Midi to CV is getting out of track so easily).
Also would be great to have more than 1 MIDI Channel for Sequencing. (So that I can have my musical Ideas playing on the Modular to get away from the screen and focus on sound design). For that I was wondering if an Expert Sleepers ES-3 might be the right thing for sequencing and modulating from Ableton. Another option (also regarding live jam possibilities) would be a Keystep Pro.

Another Thing I want to achieve is to make organic and moving pads
and some sort of percussive cababilities (already was experimenting with the Plaits and Peaks and that was a lot of fun)

I was looking at:
Varigate 4+
Morphagene
Clouds
BIA
3x MIA

What do you guys think? Where to go next? :)

Cheers
Hen

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 am

RE es3 - do you already have an audio interface with ADAT I/O? if so then yes the ES3 will do the job - if not you will either want to upgrade that first or go for an es8 or es9

the other modules sound fine - personally I would hold off on clouds a bit - the replacement is imminent

I would also look more towards basic utilities - a matrix mixer perhaps - for modulation

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

henneke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henneke » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:11 am

Agawell wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 am
RE es3 - do you already have an audio interface with ADAT I/O? if so then yes the ES3 will do the job - if not you will either want to upgrade that first or go for an es8 or es9

the other modules sound fine - personally I would hold off on clouds a bit - the replacement is imminent

I would also look more towards basic utilities - a matrix mixer perhaps - for modulation
Yeah I have an RME FIreface UCX. So it's quite a cheap solution for my purposes and also pretty versatile with CV Tools.
Good call on the Clouds.
You think a matrix mixer makes sense now? I dont have too many modulation sources

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 am

no but if you add stages or varigate then a matrix mixer makes sense - mult (stackcables) and mix - feed one channel back in etc etc

Return to “Eurorack Modules”