Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

redlester
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 am

Bbman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm
I had the same problem initially with my midi breakout. Then realized I had the cable into the EX upside down :).
How do you define upside down? Surely which ever way round it is, providing pin 1 goes to pin 1 at the other end, and uses the same row of connectors, it will work?

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:46 am

redlester wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 am
How do you define upside down? Surely which ever way round it is, providing pin 1 goes to pin 1 at the other end, and uses the same row of connectors, it will work?
You are right. As long as the pins are connected 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. It should work. I just noticed from your original post that you are specifically trying to use the single algo SD playback. Disting 1.4 firmware added the option to turn midi notes on and off for the single algo SD playback so you should check that for sure. But it still doesn't explain why you are not getting any readings for midi history. See if you get any output using the J2 dual algo.
If you get a response via midi with that then the issues is specifically with the SD playback algo.

I haven't used midi input to the EX yet as I've been working with only CV. But I can check mine with midi in today when I get a minute.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am

Phitar wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:46 am
I just noticed from your original post that you are specifically trying to use the single algo SD playback. Disting 1.4 firmware added the option to turn midi notes on and off for the single algo SD playback so you should check that for sure. But it still doesn't explain why you are not getting any readings for midi history. See if you get any output using the J2 dual algo.
If you get a response via midi with that then the issues is specifically with the SD playback algo.
I get no MIDI response using any algorithm, Single or Dual.

But in trying out the above, which is the first time I've gone into the J2 algorithm, am finding as soon as I switch to J2 the relevant sample immediately starts playing from the outputs, with no CV or MIDI input being applied (I have now disconnected the MIDI breakout and removed it from the case). It plays in a seemingly infinite loop (in the style of the I1 algo), with the Z knob controlling the pitch.

I have barely used any of the Dual Mode functions since buying the Disting, although I did have a play around when I first got it without fully knowing what I was doing. Could I have changed some essential default setting to something weird?

Am beginning to feel like I need to do a factory reset on my EX, but don't want to as the manual warns about needing to re-calibrate if doing that. This has turned into a bit of a nightmare as what I thought would be a five minute job (installing the MIDI breakout) has now morphed into an entire weekend of head-scratching. :cry:

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 am

OK ignore all of that about the looping files in my post above, have now read previous posts on this issue and the responses from Os.

That's a relief!

Bbman
Common Wiggler

Post by Bbman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am

When you do plug the the cable into the ex upside down. The midi breakout in becomes an out and the out becomes an in, which can be fun

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Bbman wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am
When you do plug the the cable into the ex upside down. The midi breakout in becomes an out and the out becomes an in, which can be fun
You mean if you connect it so that the pins are reversed? I did actually check for that as well, plugged my MIDI cable into the output but still nothing.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm

redlester wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am
This has turned into a bit of a nightmare as what I thought would be a five minute job (installing the MIDI breakout) has now morphed into an entire weekend of head-scratching. :cry:
Really sorry you are having problems.

I checked mine out. If you have midi going in you should see it indicated on the midi history screen even if you aren't running any algos at all. Time to speak with Os.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 am

SlagRalden wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm
os wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 am
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm
Hey all, when using SD MULTISAMPLE is there a way to change the input mode to have NO pitch or gate inputs, i've checked the cv mappings and it doesn't seem like you can turn off the cv gate pair... I mostly input with midi so input 2 and 4 are being held hostage! would be cool to be able to turn the input mode setting to zero....
Here's a beta for you.

:hail: SO FAST! I only tested the one feature but it works perfectly! I had all six inputs set to detune 6 different voices and it sounded amazing!
SOOO i'm realizing this feature is really handy and requesting it for 6 triggers algo (and basically any algo with Midi support).... i'm mainly triggering/sequencing via midi (from General CV!) and would love to be able to use the CV inputs for panning and gain and other features....

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:43 am

Also I noticed a bug in 6 triggers algo.... when you turn the sample to -1 (off) it will still trigger (the 1st sample in the folder) via midi

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:41 pm
ronnieb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:23 pm
neopl wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:02 pm
Does the Disting EX have a 'help' menu much like the OC Hemisphere suite, where a double button tap will show a legend of what each input/output and encoders correspond to?

It would be a deal break for me if it does not have this feature, I use OC quite a lot, but if I had to look in the manual each time I just double tap on that button, I probably would not be using it nearly as much!
Yup it does, for both single and dual modes. Can be quite wordy but suuuuper useful
So you can! Learn something new every day!
In single mode: hold V to show mappings, go P > algorithms > help for full description.
In dual mode I cant see how to show mappings (yet), but the help text is there accessed in the same way.

So I took the plunge and got the Disting EX, but I'm not sure how I'm gelling with it so far. The dual mode is what I have been most interested in, but the lack of quickly accessible legend to show the mappings of ins and outs make it difficult to use. I really hope something like the double tap help on O&C Hemisphere suite will get implemented, as it makes a module which is very very useful into one that is also an effortless joy to use from day one. It is still early days, (first day) so I hope I will gel with it in time. (I never had the other Distings so that might also be why I am a little lost) Nevertheless I am immensely impressed with the module and what is packed under the hood! The help is helpful, but as someone said, it is pretty wordy and I think (at least for me personally) would benefit from input/output quick mapping descriptions vs a full on help.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:24 pm

neopl wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 pm

So I took the plunge and got the Disting EX, but I'm not sure how I'm gelling with it so far. The dual mode is what I have been most interested in, but the lack of quickly accessible legend to show the mappings of ins and outs make it difficult to use.
I ended up adding a link to Synth Modes on my phone home screen and use that for on-the-fly help with mk4 / dual mode.

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm

I get on fine with the help but agree it can be a bit wordy when you are just looking for a quick look up rather than a full description.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:21 am

scragz wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:24 pm

I ended up adding a link to Synth Modes on my phone home screen and use that for on-the-fly help with mk4 / dual mode.
That’s really useful thanks for that.

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 pm

neopl wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 pm
So I took the plunge and got the Disting EX, but I'm not sure how I'm gelling with it so far. The dual mode is what I have been most interested in, but the lack of quickly accessible legend to show the mappings of ins and outs make it difficult to use. I really hope something like the double tap help on O&C Hemisphere suite will get implemented, as it makes a module which is very very useful into one that is also an effortless joy to use from day one. It is still early days, (first day) so I hope I will gel with it in time. (I never had the other Distings so that might also be why I am a little lost) Nevertheless I am immensely impressed with the module and what is packed under the hood! The help is helpful, but as someone said, it is pretty wordy and I think (at least for me personally) would benefit from input/output quick mapping descriptions vs a full on help.
As previously mentioned the manuals are excellent and up to date with every release. I've had no issues with mappings in either single mode (due to the show mapping function) or single mode as I've never dug into changing anything in dual mode and just stick to whats in the manual. I'm not sure inputs/outputs can be remapped in dual mode.

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 pm

I know this was asked before, and manual was referenced, but unfortunately, the page 67 of the manual which discusses this has my head scratching. I've been trying the different options for the past 30 minutes and my head is beginning to hurt... :doh:

Can someone explain to me in simple terms how I can have Disting EX start up at a state at which it was turned off? Is that even possible? As I said, I've been following page 67 and trying different options in the settings, but I cant seem to make it work. All I can do is make it start up at the same algorithm that was selected when The EX was turned off, but the algorithm parameters are not preserved.

Edit: I have to save the preset before powering down, and then it starts up again with that preset loaded and correct alogs selected, if that is the way, that's fine.

My settings:
Start up preset selected to 1
Auto start up preset ON
Auto save change ON

When I save Preset and restart the EX, the last selected algo and preset is loaded. I'm happy with that, but I can't say I understand the Auto save change setting, as I still have to save the preset manually before power off for it to resume where I left off.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 pm

It just auto saves the algorithm. Yes I was confused too.

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:01 pm

scragz wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 pm
I'm still confused. At which point does it auto save the algorithm? When I change the algo and go back to it at a later time, the state isn't preserved, neither is it preserved on power up. I'm just being curious at this point, as I don't mind at all, I found a way for the same algo to restart on power up, so I just have to remember to manually save the preset before powering down, and reload that preset on power up.

Anyway, I posted this in a reply to another thread on the ES section of the forum, but perhaps it would be beneficial to have it here as well. Can anyone explain how to calibrate the Disting EX? I foolishly reset the setting before getting to the part of the manual which states that resting the settings also wipes the calibration data.... I understand that I need a reference 3V source, which isn't a problem as I can get that out of modules, or out of the Keystep, but when I go to Calibration on the Disting EX, the process of what I have to do is not exactly obvious.... (although that is probably just me... :despair: )

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 pm

neopl wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:01 pm
scragz wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 pm
I'm still confused. At which point does it auto save the algorithm? When I change the algo and go back to it at a later time, the state isn't preserved, neither is it preserved on power up. I'm just being curious at this point, as I don't mind at all, I found a way for the same algo to restart on power up, so I just have to remember to manually save the preset before powering down, and reload that preset on power up.
AFAICT it only saves the selected algorithm when you switch initially switch to it. If you change the state, it doesn't save it again. So state changes are not preserved automatically at all no matter what settings you set.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:21 am

i just picked up one of these brand new and have been using it for a few hours. incredibly frustrated by the constant freeze ups. i've had to reboot the module a couple dozen times already. Just experimenting with wav playback of the drum samples that come pre-loaded on the unit. Freezes there as well as during Wavetable VCO algorithms.

grimleyj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grimleyj » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:54 am

jamb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:21 am
i just picked up one of these brand new and have been using it for a few hours. incredibly frustrated by the constant freeze ups. i've had to reboot the module a couple dozen times already. Just experimenting with wav playback of the drum samples that come pre-loaded on the unit. Freezes there as well as during Wavetable VCO algorithms.
Same experience here. Tried 3 different cards with varying levels of success but frequently still get crackle, pop, die and need to reboot.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:15 am

If anyone is having the freezing thing, please could you try this beta?
Attachments
distingEX_1.4.1beta.hex.zip
(776.11 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 am

The more I spend on this module the more I like it, the interface does not seem so daunting anymore, it actually is really intuitive to navigate. I also calibrated the module (after needlessly resetting the settings). Today, I had Thonk delivery of the MIDI breakout box kit today which I promptly put together so that I can really explore the SD Multisample using my MIDI keyboard - so far so good, but I can hear a strange persistent noise as each note decays (playing the Soft Piano for example). I've made a short clip to demonstrate: https://soundcloud.com/kamilmar/sd-multisample-noise

(I have the 1.4 firmware)

any ideas how to get rid of it?

Thank you!

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:54 am

os wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:15 am
If anyone is having the freezing thing, please could you try this beta?
i will try this beta now- hopefully it smoothes things out because i'm about to box it up and return it. just frustrating to pay full price brand new and its not usable. :(
Last edited by jamb on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:05 am

using 1.41 beta and it's still freezing on wave playback. usually happens when i try to change folder. then it's game over.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:21 pm

https://youtu.be/jpfgU_a5rxk Here is one example. Anyone else having this issue? Really frustrated.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”