Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Has anyone had a play with the LABS stuff yet?

The sample playback is a lot quieter than I expected, compared to say a standard Mk4 VCO. Even when I upped the gain setting to max (6) still very quiet.

I've not tried any of the other sample stuff yet... So much to try!

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:30 pm

The sample playback is a lot quieter than I expected, compared to say a standard Mk4 VCO. Even when I upped the gain setting to max (6) still very quiet.

Is the Labs content velocity sensitive?

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm
Is the Labs content velocity sensitive?
Yes, I think it is, but I was sequencing from my Metropolis. So as far as I am aware the gate out from the Metropolis is the full +5v.

I'll have to check up on that.

cheers :)

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 09, 2020 2:19 pm

From the Metropolis manual:-

2 - GATE output jack
The sequencer gate signal (0V for off, 5V for on) is produced here. Typically you would patch this to the gate input of an ADSR or AHD envelope generator.

And from the EX manual:-

The gate inputs are velocity sensitive – the voltage of the gate signal is used like the velocity of a
MIDI note. 5V corresponds to maximum velocity.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sat May 09, 2020 3:29 pm

Shit. Well... I guess I know what's next on my list now.

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Sun May 10, 2020 10:41 pm

EDIT: formatting the card and copying across an older backup worked - and I am now upgraded to 1.1.1 - I will leave the post up in case anyone else has a similar problem)

Hi Os. I seem to have accidentally deleted some essential file from the Disting EX SD card, in the process of adding/removing some sample folders and trying to upgrade the firmware to 1.1.1.

The module hangs at "Looking for Firmware Files". If I don't attempt to upgrade the firmware, I can access Matrix Mixer and Augustus Loop but choosing any of the SD algorithms also causes the module to hang.

Is there somewhere I can download the original SD card contents? I probably don't need the LABS folders (which make up the majority of the content). Or is there some process I can run from the module to troubleshoot or reset everything? Thanks for your help! (As an aside, the bootloader update/4.15 upgrade went OK on my Disting Mk4.)

EDIT: formatting the card and copying across an older backup worked - and I am now upgraded to 1.1.1 - I will leave the post up in case anyone else has a similar problem)

DoubleStop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DoubleStop » Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 pm

The Grump wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:29 pm
Shit. Well... I guess I know what's next on my list now.
Yeah.. its on my list..... Problem is I can't find seller who actually HAS one .. in Stock!

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 am

Hmmm... I'm considering a second EX...

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 am

synkrotron wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 am
Hmmm... I'm considering a second EX...
if the case was deep enough, imagine an Intellijel Palette full of em. :guinness:

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 12, 2020 5:01 am

MossGarden wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 am
if the case was deep enough, imagine an Intellijel Palette full of em. :guinness:
Indeed! :mrgreen: :tu:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am

Would anyone like to beta test Scala support in the SD Multisample algorithm?

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 pm

os wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am
Hi os,

I don't know the first thing about Scalar stuff, but if you let me know what to do I will certainly have a go.

cheers

andy

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

os wrote:
Yes! Absolutely.
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm

os wrote:
That's a little out of my skillset but once my EX arrives (hopefully very soon) I would happily beta test anything else you need ;)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

First impressions: the display is a serious challenge to my eyesight. I will almost certainly move it (plus Teletype and TXb because of i2c) to the bottom right corner of my case, in order to bring it closer to my eyes. I'll still probably have to lean close to it or even (sigh) use a magnifying glass.

The SD card is very awkward to get to between the knobs. Tweezers are almost necessary. Also beware of any gaps between your modules because it would be far too easy to drop the card down the gap instead of into the slot. Otherwise, it was no trouble at all updating the firmware to the latest.

There's a generous amount of content on that card. My brain is bending a little bit, having Marbles sequencing a polyphonic sample player. :D With the kind of music I make I won't often want that, but -- just like the overall theme of the Disting itself -- it'll be good to have it on tap for when I do.

I'll have to go back and fight with the i2c mapping another time, but initial attempts weren't getting anywhere. I might have to change the address or something. i2c is finnicky, but at least nothing froze completely!

My first experience with dual mode had a nasty bug where the Z knobs (and CV) changed the LED color as expected, but didn't actually update the values for the algorithms... the left side was stuck at -10 and the right side at +10. Once I realized it, I tried rebooting from the menu, and it started working fine.

I'm not sure the navigation is going to be quite as friendly as I had hoped, but it's a distinct improvement over the mk4. I'll give it a fair chance once I've moved it to a more eye-friendly position. Most likely, over time I'll choose a few favorite algorithms and have less need to consult the manual for those. For now, there's a lot to re-acquaint myself with and a lot of new algos since I last owned a mk4.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 pm

Aha!

Teletype sends code 10h for its SC.CV op. But it sends 11h for SC.CV.SET. You also need to add one to the ID# on the Teletype side.

E.g. to set Mix_1->1 (which is mapped to ID 8 by default):

SC.CV.SET 9 <value>

The default mixer mapping is -200% to +200%, which corresponds to 0 to 16384 on the Teletype:

0 = -200%
4096 = -100%
8192 = 0%
12288 = 100%
16384 = 200%

Black_Materia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Black_Materia » Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 am

synkrotron wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I'm guessing this might have to do with the fact it can play 8 notes polyphonically? you need to keep quite a bit of headroom for that.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 5:21 am

Hi starthief :)
starthief wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm
First impressions: the display is a serious challenge to my eyesight. I will almost certainly move it (plus Teletype and TXb because of i2c) to the bottom right corner of my case, in order to bring it closer to my eyes. I'll still probably have to lean close to it or even (sigh) use a magnifying glass.
That's a shame, and I hope you sort this out somehow. I've had to wear reading glasses since my early 40's. So, I dunno, and I don't want to seem rude by asking, have you had an eye test lately? I ask that because, as small as that display is, I find it quite easy to read, so long as I have my reading glasses on. Without my glasses everything is an undecipherable blur.
The SD card is very awkward to get to between the knobs. Tweezers are almost necessary. Also beware of any gaps between your modules because it would be far too easy to drop the card down the gap instead of into the slot. Otherwise, it was no trouble at all updating the firmware to the latest.
I'm with you on the MicroSD card slot... I'm all fingers and thumbs and often drop the damn thing and have even lost it in between the gap you mention. I had to remove a number of modules to retrieve it. And you have to watch that when you are inserting it that you don't go in at a slight angle because then also ends up with the card dropping into the case.

Like I say, I'm fingers and thumbs and a bit clumsy so I have to always watch what I'm doing.

I've also just rearranged a row of modules so that my Mk4's and EX are not next to each other. That helps, of a fashion.
My first experience with dual mode had a nasty bug where the Z knobs (and CV) changed the LED color as expected, but didn't actually update the values for the algorithms... the left side was stuck at -10 and the right side at +10. Once I realized it, I tried rebooting from the menu, and it started working fine.
Interesting. I've not had that yet.
I'm not sure the navigation is going to be quite as friendly as I had hoped, but it's a distinct improvement over the mk4. I'll give it a fair chance once I've moved it to a more eye-friendly position. Most likely, over time I'll choose a few favorite algorithms and have less need to consult the manual for those. For now, there's a lot to re-acquaint myself with and a lot of new algos since I last owned a mk4.
I'm getting used to the navigation a bit now. I find it a marked improvement to the Mk4. My two Mk3's tend to stay in VCO mode because I can't be bothered using its LED system to suss out how to selects banks and algorithms. I'm sure that if I was doing it every day then I would become more familiar with the Mk3 system.

Anyway, I hope you grow to enjoy your new EX and I'm sure that there is more to come in the future in terms of single mode algorithms :)

cheers

andy

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 am
I'm guessing this might have to do with the fact it can play 8 notes polyphonically? you need to keep quite a bit of headroom for that.
Yes, indeed, os had to remind me of that in the Expert Sleepers sub-forum. I'm a bit thick :doh:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 13, 2020 6:29 am

synkrotron wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:21 am
That's a shame, and I hope you sort this out somehow. I've had to wear reading glasses since my early 40's. So, I dunno, and I don't want to seem rude by asking, have you had an eye test lately? I ask that because, as small as that display is, I find it quite easy to read, so long as I have my reading glasses on. Without my glasses everything is an undecipherable blur.
I've had to wear prescription lenses since I was 10 years old, and I've been wearing bifocals since my early 30s. I get eye exams every year.

The way my setup is laid out, the top row of my modular is just within reach. When I read books I don't hold them at arm's length :) I don't have any trouble reading the Teletype display, but the text on the Disting EX display is less than half that size. I find the text on O'Tool+ very small too but it generally doesn't require much reading.

Anyway, I bought a desk-mounted magnifying glass, and I will cope with it one way or another.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 6:49 am

starthief wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:29 am
I've had to wear prescription lenses since I was 10 years old, and I've been wearing bifocals since my early 30s. I get eye exams every year.
Ah, okay, sorry about that. I knew I'd be sticking my foot in it asking such a personal question.
The way my setup is laid out, the top row of my modular is just within reach. When I read books I don't hold them at arm's length :) I don't have any trouble reading the Teletype display, but the text on the Disting EX display is less than half that size. I find the text on O'Tool+ very small too but it generally doesn't require much reading.
I see what you mean... My EX is just below eye level and around 18 inches away. I must admit that if it was arm's length away then I too would be struggling unless I used a pair of older (not as strong) glasses.
Anyway, I bought a desk-mounted magnifying glass, and I will cope with it one way or another.
Excellent :)

Apologies again for making assumptions.

cheers

andy

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 13, 2020 7:25 am

Still beta until my EX is delivered and can test it properly but the Mk 4 section works ok and the other stuff looks right on a midi monitor.

Happy to share once I have confirmed it works.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 7:58 am

Umcorps wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:25 am
Happy to share once I have confirmed it works.
Ah, so that's what you have been up to :)

Erm... What is it, and what do you need to get it to talk to the Distings?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am

synkrotron wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:58 am
Erm... What is it, and what do you need to get it to talk to the Distings?
An iPad, a midi input for your Distings and a copy of TouchOSC

I'll do a proper how to video when its finalised. For now, here's short clip of the basic functionality for a Mk 4

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_4-UZXhYsU/

Last edited by Umcorps on Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 am

Umcorps wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am
An iPad, a midi input for your Distings and a copy of TouchOSC

I'll do a proper how to video when its finalised. For now, here's short clip of the basic functionality for a Mk 4

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_4-UZXhYsU/
Ah, right, I haven't got an iPad so probably why I haven't heard of TouchOSC.

Shame... It looks really good being able to control a Disting like that. Well, not just good, more like flamin excellent :mrgreen:

Oh well :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”