Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ehr
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by ehr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 am

hmmm.

I did another quick test with folder 39 Wurli Bombs samples. First I listened for clicks in the samples on my computer (only fixed one). Then popped the sd card back in the module and played a sequence with the folder 39 samples and still occasional clicks. And by occasional I mean once or twice every couple minutes or so of the sequence playing.

edit: oh and I'm using midi to sequence not cv gates.

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:37 am

Hello just receive my EX too.
I have same trouble explained above.
In Sd multisample i have two major sound glitch:

- First randomly on some Preset, the cpu ( or sd card? ) Its overloaded. Result of a messy horrible sound on some key played.

- Second, i hear a tiny "click" or really discret noise when i play the grand piano for example. Its really anoying when you put the sample in a delay for example cause this " plock" noise is repeated and amplified by the delay.

I also have some freeze in dual mode algorythm wave dual , when i turn the knob yo select différents sound in the folder, the module stop working and freeze.

Thanks in advance.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:42 am

For the first issue, please try raising the 'gate offset' parameter.

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 am

Dosnt change nothing with the gate tricks sorry, also if i select ( in dual mode ) the J3 algo ( midi free) the module freeze and i have to reboot my rack... Really really anoying for the price of this unit 🤔

I have also a question cause maybe is my unit wrong:

When i select ( in dual mode ) any of the wav algorythm to trigg any sample with CV/gate, suppose to let you play the sample using cv and gate but in all of those algo, i have like internal clock or gâte already triggering the sample so when i recall any of those algorithm i have something modulated in the output 🤯. En when i turn z knob its changing the speed of this internal gate. This glitch its in all Wave algortihm.

Can somebody tell me whats wrong with my unit?

Thanks
Last edited by Blond 12 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:22 am

Feature request: What I would love to see from the new Single mode are little modeled instruments. 6 parameters are enough to control simple organs, or plucked strings, percussive models, 4voice simple synths. Take the OP-Z with its 12 sound engines as an example. That would be great!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am

Blond 12 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 am
When i select ( in dual mode ) any of the wav algorythm to trigg any sample with CV/gate, suppose to let you play the sample using cv and gate but in all of those algo, i have like internal clock or gâte already triggering the sample so when i recall any of those algorithm i have something modulated in the output 🤯. En when i turn z knob its changing the speed of this internal gate. This glitch its in all Wave algortihm.
All the dual algorithms treat samples as looping unless you tell it otherwise in the playlist. So they will begin to play as soon as you select the algorithm.

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am

Ok...i dont get it , why in your video ,when you recall a wav algorithm , he is waiting for a CV/gate as normal and mine is playing note like on internal clock... I just wanna play the multisample with cv/gate in dual mode as in single mode 🤷🏻‍♂️

Clearly my J6 algo is not working like yours on youtube vidéo. When i recall it all sample are already playing on a clock i dont know why 🤷🏻‍♂️. Normally if your not sending any cv or gate nothing should play in this algorithm.
Last edited by Blond 12 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 am

Then you will need to add a playlist with the option "-loop=0".

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:43 am

Sorry if my questions are dumb... Its the first Time i dont understand in modular synth word... What is this playlist where can we modify this ? Directly from the module ? Or on the sd card creating a folder with the laptop? If its a txt file we have to create i hope we dont have to create for all the sample🤦🏼‍♂️... Otherwise it would be nice to have an internal option in the ex to put or not in loop mode 🤷🏻‍♂️

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:53 am

I suggest you read through the disting mk4 manual. All the EX dual mode functions work as they do on the mk4, which is a module without a large screen. Using the mk4 SD algorithms requires a little more work preparing the files on the card on a computer.

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am

Ok... But what about just putting a loop mode "on " and "off" directly into the Ex wave algortihm option... I still dont get it why its not possible to use those wav algo in normal trigg mode like in the single mode 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who wanna something playing alone with a random clock trigg really i cant understand.... Im sure im not the only one who buy EX in the idea to trigg drum in one side and a piano multisample on other side! And be free to play all that with just CV and Gate .

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41 pm

:party: I think I found a fix for the occasional clicks I was getting while using midi to sequence the SD multisample soft piano: shorten the samples. I trimmed all the samples quite a bit and now no more clicks. Playback of long samples (some of the piano samples are up to 20 seconds) is probably fine for simple sequences but sequence 4 note chords and a melody on top of that and it is probably asking too much. I don't need them to ring out for 20 seconds, I'm good with shorter samples and no clicks. :party:

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Ok i created the playlist and it works. Thanks Expert Sleepers for your help

Now i still have two algorithm unloadable and unplayable like J1 and J3 causing a General freeze and i have to restard the rack...

Any ideas?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm

ehr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41 pm
:party: I think I found a fix for the occasional clicks I was getting while using midi to sequence the SD multisample soft piano: shorten the samples. I trimmed all the samples quite a bit and now no more clicks. Playback of long samples (some of the piano samples are up to 20 seconds) is probably fine for simple sequences but sequence 4 note chords and a melody on top of that and it is probably asking too much. I don't need them to ring out for 20 seconds, I'm good with shorter samples and no clicks. :party:
You shouldn't need to do that.

If you can send me a MIDI file (or Live set or whatever) that reproduces the clicks reliably that would help me track down any problem.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Blond 12 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:10 pm
Now i still have two algorithm unloadable and unplayable like J1 and J3 causing a General freeze and i have to restard the rack...
Firmware 1.3 will be released soon. There are a couple of fixes related to dual mode SD playback.

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Super thanks again for all your quick answers.

I still have like "buffer overload" glitch noise in single mode sd multisample too , when you play 2 notes in same time. We had the same issue at the beginning with the 1010 music Blackbox, it was related to the sd card reading speed.

Thanks again for you amazing work.
Last edited by Blond 12 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 pm

os wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm
ehr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41 pm
You shouldn't need to do that.

If you can send me a MIDI file (or Live set or whatever) that reproduces the clicks reliably that would help me track down any problem.
I'm using Nerdseq to sequence the Disting EX. I'll see if I can find a way to record the midi and send it to you.

Edit: midi file sent
Last edited by ehr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Os - Trying to calibrate my Disting EX as it's triggering the wrong samples - I have followed the steps in your manual, but am lost at step 8 - Repeat steps 6&7 for inputs Y & Z?? is this a typo? - thanks - see below, D:

1. With the disting powered up and with nothing connected to it, use the menu to select
'Calibrate'.
2. Calibration will begin immediately.
3. Wait for the display to show 'Waiting: A->X B->Y'.
4. Using patch cables (as short as possible), connect the left output A to input X, and output B
to input Y.
5. Press the 'P' encoder.
6. After a short delay, all four jack sockets should light up red. After another short delay, the
display will show 'Waiting: 3V -> X'.
7. Remove the patch cables. Connect the 3V voltage reference to input X.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for inputs Y & Z.
9. Remove the voltage reference, and repeat steps 3-8 for the right side.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Have you tried raising ‘gate offset’ to fix the wrong sample issue?

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:34 pm

I managed to get it recalibrated - and seems to be behaving itself now - so what is the gate offset for? Was wonder what that was for - Offsetting the CV inputs? Thanks, D

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 pm

By the way , like other customers I have been getting loads of glitchy screens, freezing etc on dual mode on the wav playback applet. Module crashes whilst scanning some folders, ended up deleting all my own folders of one shot samples from the module as it was unusable. Here's a quick vid of what I'm experiencing:

I appreciate you are doing ground breaking work, but I bought this unit for the dual mode wav playback and at the moment it's not doing the business I look forward to the firmware update. Thanks, D

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:15 am

New update coming this week with dual mode fixes.

If you used pre-1.2 firmware at all I would recommend copying all the data off the card, reformatting the card, and copying it back.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 am

os wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:15 am
New update coming this week with dual mode fixes.

If you used pre-1.2 firmware at all I would recommend copying all the data off the card, reformatting the card, and copying it back.
Thanks Os! While waiting on the new release I think everyone who hasn’t should also take a few minutes to read over the manuals for the EX AND the Mk4.... Might learn sumptin.

Just sayin’

:sstorm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:00 am

"here are a few moments with the super new looper algorithm from disting ex. andrew (os) has programmed many great features in the looper, such as clocking, vcas for each track, attack and release envelopes, filter, 8bit mode etc. at the beginning you hear the right disting with 4 previously recorded 8bit stereo loops, then the left with 4 16bit mono loops. all sounds come from the sample library of the two disting ex (except for the drums: tokyo tape music center oscillator / and the women voice from my iPad). I also rediscovered clouds, in between it comes from it somewhat granular. enjoy listening!"

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 am

Thanks @elinch.

1.3 is now out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”