Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ehr
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by ehr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Dreth wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:35 pm
I just got my disting ex, was curious if the output volume was really low for you guys?

Using single mode, SD/multisample, going straight into my mixer, the output is at least 50% lower than my other sound producing modules, and that's with the disting's gain set at max, +6db.

Everything else seems fine with it outside of this volume issue.

Is this normal behaviour or is something wrong with mine?
Are you on firmware 1.3? if so what is the Normalization parameter set to? If it is more than 3 maybe bring it down.

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Patiently awaiting the arrival of the Disting EX I have on pre-order ... ok ... I'm pretty anxious about it ... where is my Disting Ex?

Can't wait, this thread has me so excited.

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Dreth wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pm
casciato wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:51 pm

How's the volume with, say, six notes sounding?
I don't own the midi expander, so I'm limited to 3 with cv/gate right?

3 gates in with chords on is a little louder I guess, but every sample is low volume in this algorithm, drum samples, piano, etc..

Playing the samples directly off the SD card on my pc they are all at good levels, but off the disting they are very quiet. Almost as if they aren't being brought up fully to modular levels.

I've been using the boost switch on my intellijel quad vca and the 6db gain just to get it at decent volume for example.

The other algorithms aren't as quiet, so maybe it's a velocity issue and I need that midi expander. *shrugs
My thought was it's a headroom issue: you need a lot more headroom if you're expecting 6+ samples to be sounding at once than if you know it's always simply one at a time. Think of it this way: if one note was getting anywhere close to your peak volume, six are guaranteed to clip like crazy...
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:43 pm

SIN_formant_A1472V wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:56 pm
Patiently awaiting the arrival of the Disting EX I have on pre-order ... ok ... I'm pretty anxious about it ... where is my Disting Ex?

Where/when did you order it, out of curiosity?
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:15 pm

casciato wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:43 pm
SIN_formant_A1472V wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Where/when did you order it, out of curiosity?
One of them hipster spots in Brooklyn.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 am

I have one on the way from Detroit Modular as of last night, so they must have received a shipment.

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am

One Disting is sequencing using the Analog shift register algorithm. The Disting EX is playing the piano flutter multisamples. Also some of the samples from the Disting EX SD card (musicbox) where used for the Monome Norns GRD script.
The samples included in the SD card from the Disting EX are really good. I think this is something to consider when you buy it. You can also use this samples in other machines.

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am

Glad to see people are getting them. I ordered from Perfect Circuit in May still haven't heard or seen anything. Anyone else get one from there?

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am

dantelerae wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am
Glad to see people are getting them. I ordered from Perfect Circuit in May still haven't heard or seen anything. Anyone else get one from there?
I ended up cancelling my Perfect Circuit preorder (made the day it was announced) a few weeks ago when I found a local seller who had some in stock. A few days prior, I had complained enough for them to tell me I was number fifteen in their queue and would probably get one in the next batch they received...which they had no idea about when that might arrive, or how big it would be. (They told me they only got 10 in their first shipment.)

I wouldn't be shocked if some of those first day preorders still haven't been filled. They're a popular retailer who heavily advertised a popular, high demand item for weeks and apparently aren't getting many/any more than smaller retailers (the guy I bought from received 5...and he's a very small retailer in a minor market). Might be a minute, in other words...

Not that you asked, but if it was me I'd cancel my preorder with PC and find a retailer who can give you some kind of realistic estimate of when you might get it and keep you updated as they get more info (neither of which PC will do). $350 is a hell of a lot of money to have tried up for months while a retailer ignores your emails and refuses to give you any info until you badger the shit out of them.

When I emailed Control about it (not where I ended up buying from) during my wait, they responded within 24 hours and were able to give me an estimate of when they'd have more and my likelihood of receiving one in the next batch. I suspect a lot of the smaller retailers will offer a similar level of customer service and accountability.

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Not to rip on perfect circuit, but this is not the first problem I have had with them being somewhat unresponsive and slow. The last time was on a Hermod I ordered that got destroyed in the mail it took about a month + to get it sorted out with them. I also know people who have ordered Polyend trackers through them who are in the same boat, not getting more than an “idk” from the store itself. It’s a shame, I really do like them but I’ve had better luck with control, patchwerks, Detroit modular and control voltage so far.

I might wait it out as right now they are listed as in stock from the tool Andrew Ostler recommend for us to use but if you’re wanting one check out https://wigglehunt.com/?query=disting+e ... e_max=5000 to see who has it in stock currently. Might be better than an indefinite preorder.

synthinker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthinker » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm

First day pre-ordered mine as well from Perfect Circuit, still waiting on it of course... last I heard it would be mid July :despair:

Not sure what # in the queue I am, but you all are giving me something to think about :? :? :?

*here is the latest from PC*
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 10.23.19 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by synthinker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:25 pm

dantelerae wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm
I might wait it out as right now they are listed as in stock from the tool Andrew Ostler recommend for us to use but if you’re wanting one check out https://wigglehunt.com/?query=disting+e ... e_max=5000 to see who has it in stock currently. Might be better than an indefinite preorder.
I think Wiggle Hunt's in/out of stock status is sometimes buggy - if it differs from the retailer's website then it's almost certainly wrong. Wiggle Hunt isn't going to have better info than the retailer themselves.

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Fair enough!

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 pm

‘Pre-ordered’ from DM on 5/22, shipped out on 6/12. Love DM.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:33 pm

Cancelled my PC pre order and ordered from Detroit Modular last week and then lucked out and got in their batch. Received it today. They seem to only put up and allow for preorders when they know they have stock confirmed on its way.

Heron5
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Heron5 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:32 pm

dantelerae wrote:
You might want to poke PC with an email. I ordered mine from PC the day it was announced, but had to wait like most of us - a few weeks ago I sent them a note to check my order when I saw that other shops had them in stock. It was at my door 3 days later. Shipments from overseas are slow due to Covid, and I’m guessing that it’s easy to drop balls at a business like PC these days.

KennyM
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KennyM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Pre-ordered on 4/25 from Perfect Circuit. Finally got a shipping notice today 7/9. I’m normally reasonably patient but this was painful. They did honor the spring 10% off coupon code though.

Kenny

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:50 am

Heron5 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:32 pm
dantelerae wrote:
You might want to poke PC with an email. I ordered mine from PC the day it was announced, but had to wait like most of us - a few weeks ago I sent them a note to check my order when I saw that other shops had them in stock. It was at my door 3 days later. Shipments from overseas are slow due to Covid, and I’m guessing that it’s easy to drop balls at a business like PC these days.
I will bug them again! I get it. I know that they are small and busy and I know that sales can be rough but i just wish the communication was better! I still love PC and will probably order again from them (have an mco on the way actually) and course I love their content.

synthinker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthinker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:53 pm

KennyM wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:32 pm
Pre-ordered on 4/25 from Perfect Circuit. Finally got a shipping notice today 7/9. I’m normally reasonably patient but this was painful. They did honor the spring 10% off coupon code though.

Kenny
You must have been one of the select few... I was told yesterday that I did not make the cut - they were expecting 250 units but only received a measly FIVE. Hope you enjoy!

radialMelt
Common Wiggler

Post by radialMelt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Had no issues finding one here in MTL. Maybe just lucky.

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22 pm

I talked to PC today and dude was super nice. Said they have over 100 something orders but received like 15 last shipment they are only up to the end of April in fulfilling preorders. So I'm at the end of May, could be September before I see mine. It's interesting we all have different numbers/expected numbers etc.

I'm just gonna hold on but man it's painful. Me wants the Distings.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:40 pm

I also spoke with someone at PC today (told him about this thread). He said I'm second in line for the next batch; ordered on April 25.

I'm guessing Os treats dealers equally. So high volume dealers have the largest backlog of orders.

This module has elicited a feed-frenzy response. Thankfully for us punters, that's a rare occurrence.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm

The wait list at Detroit Modular can't be anywhere close to that long, I "pre-ordered" mine last Friday and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:55 pm

adaris wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
The wait list at Detroit Modular can't be anywhere close to that long, I "pre-ordered" mine last Friday and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
You lucked out on the timing.

I ordered a Disting EX from DM on June 2. It will arrive tomorrow.

I think the discrepancy in turnaround time among dealers can be attributed to volume of orders and Os's even-handedness.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am

The EX logo reminds me of the Distressor EL8-X :hihi:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”