Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by aragorn23 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:35 am

ehr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am
you can already do the second idea by creating a sample folder that contains the samples in your split. It is just a matter of renaming them using the disting ex naming system to set up a split just how you want it. I've done one and it works.
Oh right, of course :doh:

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 pm

aragorn23 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:35 am
ehr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am
you can already do the second idea by creating a sample folder that contains the samples in your split. It is just a matter of renaming them using the disting ex naming system to set up a split just how you want it. I've done one and it works.
Oh right, of course :doh:
...or you could use the J6 algorithm in dual mode to access two different multi sample folders. I tried it but for some reason I liked the single multi sample algorithm better.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 am

Were you able to get this corrected?

Blond 12 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am
Hello.
I just tryed the new firmware 1.3, and all the wav algorythm( in dual mode ) are still unplayable. I take the J6 as exemple, the module is freezing, lagging, or cuting when we change parameter on the fly like the enveloppe lenght for exemple...
Other exemple when you select J3 the module freeze and we have to reboot it. All the glitch and bug i reported about dual mode algorithm in the previous version are not fixed in 1.3 and still there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:04 am

Is there any way to connect the ex to an ES-9 directly? For MIDI I mean. I'm pretty sure both have midi out/in
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Blond 12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blond 12 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 am

glennfin wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 am
Were you able to get this corrected?

Blond 12 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am
Hello.
I just tryed the new firmware 1.3, and all the wav algorythm( in dual mode ) are still unplayable. I take the J6 as exemple, the module is freezing, lagging, or cuting when we change parameter on the fly like the enveloppe lenght for exemple...
Other exemple when you select J3 the module freeze and we have to reboot it. All the glitch and bug i reported about dual mode algorithm in the previous version are not fixed in 1.3 and still there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nowhere for now ...no answer at all by Expert sleepers 😔🤷🏻‍♂️

dantelerae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantelerae » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:29 am

Blond 12 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 am
glennfin wrote:

He was on holiday for a while, he may not have caught back up with inquires yet.

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 am

dantelerae wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:29 am
Blond 12 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 am
glennfin wrote:

He was on holiday for a while, he may not have caught back up with inquires yet.
Being a one man band with an all-singing all-dancing module is a tough gig.

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am

Has anyone made a handy list of the default sample packs contained on the SD card? I've memorised my favourites (choir, soft piano, scary strings) and I imagine adding various custom samples down the line, but it would be useful to have a quick reference. If nobody has already done it I can give it a go.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 pm

Having the same problem with the module freezing up, as well as a few times in dual mode, the display for each side "bled" over to the other side, so each half was only displaying half of what it should have, or when "zoomed in" to the menu on one side, everything was shifted over and off center. Has anyone else had this issue?

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 am

Peng33 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 pm
Having the same problem with the module freezing up, as well as a few times in dual mode, the display for each side "bled" over to the other side, so each half was only displaying half of what it should have, or when "zoomed in" to the menu on one side, everything was shifted over and off center. Has anyone else had this issue?
Have you tried the new Firmware 1.3.1 released 31/07/2020?

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Not yet. I have not removed the SD card or even played around with it that much since I got it. Bought 4-5 modules within a month or so to start this Eurorack journey, and the "plug and play" immediacy of everything else caused me to avoid the menu diving in the Disting until recently.

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:54 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm
Not yet. I have not removed the SD card or even played around with it that much since I got it. Bought 4-5 modules within a month or so to start this Eurorack journey, and the "plug and play" immediacy of everything else caused me to avoid the menu diving in the Disting until recently.
Yeah, I get that. I was the same 8-)

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 am

Peng33 wrote:
I find it amazing (hard to believe) that the mfg didn't see these issues before release?? or worse, didn't fully test before release.. I received mine but haven't racked it yet. I will update the firmware and do some testing today. If it still has issues, it's going back for a refund. I didn't fork over my hard earned money to become a beta tester. :despair:

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am

Just a heads up, those of you having issues may want to post in the Expert Sleepers sub-forum, as I notice Os has been active there very recently.

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:08 pm

Am I reading the manual correctly that the "chord enable" function in the SD Multisample algorithm adjusts the chord triads for the scale that you're in? So that if I tell it to play triads in C minor, and I feed it a sequence of C-Bb-F-Ab-G, it's going to play Cmin, Bb, Fmin, Ab, Gmin, rather than just playing all the chords in minor (which would fall out of scale)?

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:01 pm

I don't have the EX but I believe this algorithm is like the General CV -- and the answer is yes. If you intentionally wanted to fall out of the scale you would send the CV to the key as opposed to the pitch.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Interesting that the words "bug fix" have been removed from latest OS release notes.v :hmm:

glennfin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 am
Peng33 wrote:
I find it amazing (hard to believe) that the mfg didn't see these issues before release?? or worse, didn't fully test before release.. I received mine but haven't racked it yet. I will update the firmware and do some testing today. If it still has issues, it's going back for a refund. I didn't fork over my hard earned money to become a beta tester. :despair:

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15 am

I am trying to recreate a Krell patch these days but I don't find any AR envelope with an End if Cycle trigger between the Disting algorithms. Am I wrong? Could this be a feature request?

YakushimaKodama
Learning to Wiggle

Post by YakushimaKodama » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:43 am

Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before; is there any way for me to control the Disting EX with midi, OTHER than using a breakout module adding a midi port to my case?

Would it be possible for me to use a 1/8" stereo jack to midi connector cable to control this module, thus avoiding the need for a breakout or dedicated midi port?

Thanks!
Cloud wiggler with a love for the ancient

--Ambient / Field Recordings / Dark Techno / Harsh Noise --

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Yeah sure, the type of connector does not really matter. Just get your pin out correct and connect to the midi pins on the back of the EX.

mudcat311
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mudcat311 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Back to the multisample click/glitch issue. I just started recording multisamples with the wav recorder and was experiencing a lot of clicks and pops when using more than 1 voice or retrigerring the same note fairly quickly. I used the SD speed test in the module on the card that came with the unit and it had good avg and max speeds (~2.5 MB/s) but the min was ~0.7 MB/s. I copied the entire SD card over to some version of a Sandisk card and tried the speed test with that and it was ~1.9 MB/s for min/avg/max. I tried the same sample set with that card and it worked without issue. Long story short, the included SD card might have a problem.

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 pm

YakushimaKodama wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:43 am
Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before; is there any way for me to control the Disting EX with midi, OTHER than using a breakout module adding a midi port to my case?

Would it be possible for me to use a 1/8" stereo jack to midi connector cable to control this module, thus avoiding the need for a breakout or dedicated midi port?

Thanks!
I use a Midixo, it's only 2hp, uses minijacks and works flawlessly with Disting.

YakushimaKodama
Learning to Wiggle

Post by YakushimaKodama » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Audiodaan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 pm
YakushimaKodama wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:43 am
Hi folks,

Thanks!
I use a Midixo, it's only 2hp, uses minijacks and works flawlessly with Disting.
Oh wow that is a really great recommendation. Thanks!
Cloud wiggler with a love for the ancient

--Ambient / Field Recordings / Dark Techno / Harsh Noise --

BNNYBNNY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BNNYBNNY » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm

DistingEX Users: Help with MIDI Module

I can’t seem to overcome the challenge of getting the MIDI BREAKOUT module installed and configured. The cable that came with the midi module is 8pins on both ends. According to the circuit board, the pins come in a group of four (How Sway?). Also, is there a video highlighting the configuration options for midi coming in. I would like to take advantage of the preloaded sounds but the only option I can utilize at the moment are the 6 trigger Inputs to play the sounds. (maybe I need to refer back to the manual). I want to be able to use a midi keyboard with a 5pin din into the DistingEX via “in” on the midi breakout module. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 am

From the Disting EX manual:

5-pin DIN MIDI I/O

The disting EX has an expansion header on the PCB which can be used to add a pair of traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI ports to the module (one input/one output). This is compatible with the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout.

Connections
The MIDI ports are exposed on a 4-pin expansion header (labelled GT4/MIDI) on the rear of the module. All of the necessary electronics are on the PCB; all that needs to be added is the actual sockets.

The header pin-out is as follows (pin 1 is closest to the 'GT4' text):

Pin - Function
1 - OUT pin 4
2 - OUT pin 5
3 - IN pin 5
4 - IN pin 4

Pin numbers refer to the 5-pin DIN socket as in the MIDI specification.

The header is a standard 0.1" pitch header compatible with e.g. typical IDC cable sockets.

When using the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout, pin 1 of the breakout's header (GT1) corresponds to pin 1 of the disting EX's header (GT4). Orient the ribbon cable to match up these pins. The supplied ribbon cable has two rows of four contacts – use the same row of four at each end.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”