Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
grimleyj
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by grimleyj » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:21 pm

I don’t care what size the card is as long as it works well :)
Also, 128Gb are cheap as chips ... so why not!

User avatar
EsquireKnight
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by EsquireKnight » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Was lucky enough to snap up one of these today. My preferred vendor literally had a shipment today (and appears to have sold out the same day). Looking forward to diving into this module!

User avatar
MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by MossGarden » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:37 am

Bbman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 am
I do not understand the need for a very large SD card. The companion files are only about 5GB leaving 30GB for more stuff. I left pure computer based music for modular to limit my choices so that I make music rather than consider options. I cannot imaging that I would need more than, or even, 30GB of data for any one set. Also I can always have multiple 32GB SD cards.
Yeah but six channel 24bit 96k Wav Recordings...

User avatar
rank30
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by rank30 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 am

Never owning a disting before and being new to eurorack, the mk4s are kinda cheap now considering.

Does anyone recommend getting a (few) mk4s or diving head first into the EX?
:eek:

User avatar
virtualpt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by virtualpt » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:18 am

rank30 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 am
Never owning a disting before and being new to eurorack, the mk4s are kinda cheap now considering.

Does anyone recommend getting a (few) mk4s or diving head first into the EX?
The EX is much easier to use due to the screen.

User avatar
casciato
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by casciato » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 pm

rank30 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 am
Never owning a disting before and being new to eurorack, the mk4s are kinda cheap now considering.

Does anyone recommend getting a (few) mk4s or diving head first into the EX?
Ex is great for the extra stuff and screen, but the mk4 is great for affordability and small space. I have an Ex and a mk4 (will, I will when I get the mk4 back), they complement each other well. In other words, you really can't go wrong here.
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Black_Materia » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 pm

The EX is great, only problem is i might have to get a MK4 to use all the utility functions. The single mode algorythms are so great, i want to use them all the time.

So far i've only used it as a sample player.
Getting the 128GB sd card was indeed a bit overkill.
I've just copied most of my sample library onto it, serves as a handy backup drive as well. :)
But the Disting seems to accomodate for a maximum of 99 folders. And it's a bit of a hassle navigating through such a large number of folders.
Takes a bit of file management to get them useable too. a lot of them had individual folders for kick, snare, etc... which isn't very usefull in a multisample playback device.

I made a lot of field recordings, samples of an SH101, Sub 37, Dreadbox Nyx, Odyssey, Microvolt3900 and some other synths that sound great. I didn't think it, but that 96khz quality really sounds amazing. Or maybe it's that plus hitting the converters that seems to make it sounding larger-than-life.

I've also gotten round to recalibrating, and it does lovely polyphonics now. Out-of-the box, the separate CV inputs were calibrated wildly different. now they all respond correctly.

Blond 12
Common Wiggler
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Blond 12 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:46 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 pm
I made a lot of field recordings, samples of an SH101, Sub 37, Dreadbox Nyx, Odyssey, Microvolt3900 and some other synths that sound great. I didn't think it, but that 96khz quality really sounds amazing. Or maybe it's that plus hitting the converters that seems to make it sounding larger-than-life.
Wow great sampling synth list, it is possible that you share this huge sound bank on a private "Wetransfer" file? 🙏

Thanks.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am

Has anyone started a public sample library for the EX? Would love to get more multi sample instruments on my card! Was going to try to make some subharmoniccon samples This month and would be more than happy to share

User avatar
bradovic
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by bradovic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm having a lot of glitchy playback problems with the SD 3 multi sample algo, running latest firmware , stock SD card, stock samples.
Anyone else have this problem? It happens especially when switching octaves but also happens sometimes when not touching/modulating anything.
SD speed test shows 3 MB/s

User avatar
DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by DeltaTucanae » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:04 pm

bradovic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm having a lot of glitchy playback problems with the SD 3 multi sample algo, running latest firmware , stock SD card, stock samples.
Anyone else have this problem? It happens especially when switching octaves but also happens sometimes when not touching/modulating anything.
SD speed test shows 3 MB/s
Try raising the gate offset

User avatar
bradovic
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by bradovic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:52 pm

DeltaTucanae wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:04 pm
bradovic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm having a lot of glitchy playback problems with the SD 3 multi sample algo, running latest firmware , stock SD card, stock samples.
Anyone else have this problem? It happens especially when switching octaves but also happens sometimes when not touching/modulating anything.
SD speed test shows 3 MB/s
Try raising the gate offset
Thank you love, that fixed it completely! :yay: :hail:

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:06 pm

bradovic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:52 pm
DeltaTucanae wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:04 pm
bradovic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm having a lot of glitchy playback problems with the SD 3 multi sample algo, running latest firmware , stock SD card, stock samples.
Anyone else have this problem? It happens especially when switching octaves but also happens sometimes when not touching/modulating anything.
SD speed test shows 3 MB/s
Try raising the gate offset
Thank you love, that fixed it completely! :yay: :hail:
So this did not work for me and I am assuming it is because I am inputing with MIDI.... I am getting alot of glitching/clicks/pops in the algo....

another thing i noticed is if I turn sustain to 1 it will not steal notes.... i.e. if i play 8 notes it will not play a 9th note until one of the samples has fully played out instead of 'stealing' the 'oldest' note.... you can kinda get around this by cranking up the envelope time though but then you can't really use a sustain pedal on your keyboard

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Everytime I load the Multisample single algorithm my EX reboots. It seems to load the others fine.

Flashed to latest firmware.

User avatar
Phitar
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Phitar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:20 pm
Everytime I load the Multisample single algorithm my EX reboots. It seems to load the others fine.

Flashed to latest firmware.
Might want to try a different SD card.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Phitar wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:20 pm
Everytime I load the Multisample single algorithm my EX reboots. It seems to load the others fine.

Flashed to latest firmware.
Might want to try a different SD card.
It's the factory card - I'll try formatting and recopying the sample data - I think I saw that as a suggestion to one issue.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm

anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?

User avatar
virtualpt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by virtualpt » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm

SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?
I think that you probably have Python 3 & the code is written for Python 2. Print in Python 3 is a function & requires parentheses. Try changing line 41 to print(name)

User avatar
emergingstates
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by emergingstates » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:01 am

Umcorps wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 am

Biggest editing job to date was the Sonic Couture Hang Drum instrument because it has so many velocity layers. In the end I edited it down to 4 layers to keep it simple. It works well.



One thing that would be handy in future versions of Mk4 firmware to complement the EX would be a dual dynamic trigger/gate generator. Put a standard fixed voltage trigger in, get a variable level trigger out. Would simplify patching a little.

Great video! Would it be possible to share the hang drum set? No worries if not. Did you create the instrument by auto sampling into the disting or by transferring files with a computer? I’d like to convert my native instruments gamelan kontakt samples and am wondering what Method would be easiest. Auto sampling might make the velocity layers easier to compile. :hmm:

User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Umcorps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 am

I can't share the hang files because they are a Distinged version of the Sonic Couture library. (http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... pan-drums/). I haven't checked but I've probably broken the terms of the licence already just by doing this conversion. But then I did pay for the original pack of instruments so, hey ho.

The conversion was a bit long-winded. I used Translator to convert the Hang 2 Kontakt instrument into SF2. Then used the python script linked in the manual to convert that to a Disting format sample folder.

I then had to thin down the instrument - the original Sonic Couture instrument typically used >10 samples per note which I cut back to 4 velocity layers per note. So its nothing like as subtle or nuanced as the Kontakt instrument. But its good enough in this context.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?
I think that you probably have Python 3 & the code is written for Python 2. Print in Python 3 is a function & requires parentheses. Try changing line 41 to print(name)
Thanks! This..... *almost*.... worked! ;)

I did line 41 but got more messages so I went through and put parentheses after every instance of the word 'print' and I got this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
HarpStrings

and it created the harpstrings folder BUT its empty.....

I have a feeling the culprit is line 69 which gave me this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex_test_2.py", line 69
print '%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName )
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I attempted to fix this by changing it to:

print ('%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))

but obviously it only kinda worked.... :doh: help a civilian out!

Also consider this a feature request for a simple web utility to do this soundfont business like the one for the FH-2!

User avatar
Bbman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:09 pm
Location: La

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Bbman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:07 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 am
I can't share the hang files because they are a Distinged version of the Sonic Couture library. (http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... pan-drums/). I haven't checked but I've probably broken the terms of the licence already just by doing this conversion. But then I did pay for the original pack of instruments so, hey ho.

The conversion was a bit long-winded. I used Translator to convert the Hang 2 Kontakt instrument into SF2. Then used the python script linked in the manual to convert that to a Disting format sample folder.

I then had to thin down the instrument - the original Sonic Couture instrument typically used >10 samples per note which I cut back to 4 velocity layers per note. So its nothing like as subtle or nuanced as the Kontakt instrument. But its good enough in this context.
Isn't it much easier to simply use the wave recorder? I installed a no HP midi jack to the side of my rack and realized that if i flip the connector to the EX it become a midi out rather than the in I had installed it for . Ran the out to my soundcard's midi in and multi sampled some of my soniccouture kontakt vsts back to my euro rack via an ES 3. I simply used the automatic sampling of the wave reorder per Andrew's video. I have messed around with some of the parameters, but the results are good enough for me. I now have a full Javanese Gamelan in my eurorack, among other things

User avatar
virtualpt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by virtualpt » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm

SlagRalden wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?
I think that you probably have Python 3 & the code is written for Python 2. Print in Python 3 is a function & requires parentheses. Try changing line 41 to print(name)
Thanks! This..... *almost*.... worked! ;)

I did line 41 but got more messages so I went through and put parentheses after every instance of the word 'print' and I got this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
HarpStrings

and it created the harpstrings folder BUT its empty.....

I have a feeling the culprit is line 69 which gave me this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex_test_2.py", line 69
print '%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName )
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I attempted to fix this by changing it to:

print ('%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))

but obviously it only kinda worked.... :doh: help a civilian out!

Also consider this a feature request for a simple web utility to do this soundfont business like the one for the FH-2!
Not sure if this is quite right, but try

print('{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}'.format(s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?
I think that you probably have Python 3 & the code is written for Python 2. Print in Python 3 is a function & requires parentheses. Try changing line 41 to print(name)
Thanks! This..... *almost*.... worked! ;)

I did line 41 but got more messages so I went through and put parentheses after every instance of the word 'print' and I got this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
HarpStrings

and it created the harpstrings folder BUT its empty.....

I have a feeling the culprit is line 69 which gave me this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex_test_2.py", line 69
print '%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName )
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I attempted to fix this by changing it to:

print ('%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))

but obviously it only kinda worked.... :doh: help a civilian out!

Also consider this a feature request for a simple web utility to do this soundfont business like the one for the FH-2!
Not sure if this is quite right, but try

print('{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}'.format(s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))
same thing happened, made the folder but the folder is empty

User avatar
virtualpt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by virtualpt » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:01 pm

SlagRalden wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
anyone had success using the soundfont converter on PC? when i try to run the script with command prompt it says

"C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads> python sf2_to_dex.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex.py", line 41
print name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(name)?
"

this is my first time using python so I might be missing something obvious... any advise?
I think that you probably have Python 3 & the code is written for Python 2. Print in Python 3 is a function & requires parentheses. Try changing line 41 to print(name)
Thanks! This..... *almost*.... worked! ;)

I did line 41 but got more messages so I went through and put parentheses after every instance of the word 'print' and I got this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
b'LIST'
HarpStrings

and it created the harpstrings folder BUT its empty.....

I have a feeling the culprit is line 69 which gave me this message:

C:\Users\ztchr\Downloads>python sf2_to_dex_test_2.py Harp_Strings.sf2
File "sf2_to_dex_test_2.py", line 69
print '%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName )
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I attempted to fix this by changing it to:

print ('%s %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %s' % ( s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))

but obviously it only kinda worked.... :doh: help a civilian out!

Also consider this a feature request for a simple web utility to do this soundfont business like the one for the FH-2!
Not sure if this is quite right, but try

print('{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}'.format(s.name, s.start, s.end, s.startLoop, s.endLoop, s.sampleRate, s.pitch, s.correction, s.link, typeName ))
same thing happened, made the folder but the folder is empty
Would need to debug the file. Sorry don't have the time to do that. You could install Python2.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”