Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jamb » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:51 pm

it seems nobody has answers to this issue. os? it makes the module completely unusable. disappointing, this was my first expert sleepers module.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 am

jamb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:21 pm
https://youtu.be/jpfgU_a5rxk Here is one example. Anyone else having this issue? Really frustrated.
I strongly recommend securing the module into the case. Having it wobbling about like that is asking for trouble.

But that aside - what brand of SD card came with the module? Could you try copying all the data off, reformatting the card, and copying it back? We've had a few problems with badly duplicated cards.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 am

neopl wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 am
The more I spend on this module the more I like it, the interface does not seem so daunting anymore, it actually is really intuitive to navigate. I also calibrated the module (after needlessly resetting the settings). Today, I had Thonk delivery of the MIDI breakout box kit today which I promptly put together so that I can really explore the SD Multisample using my MIDI keyboard - so far so good, but I can hear a strange persistent noise as each note decays (playing the Soft Piano for example). I've made a short clip to demonstrate: https://soundcloud.com/kamilmar/sd-multisample-noise

(I have the 1.4 firmware)

any ideas how to get rid of it?

Thank you!
I don't hear anything. What am I listening for?

Could you attach the file here so I can actually download it and examine it in detail?

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:52 am

os wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 am
neopl wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 am
The more I spend on this module the more I like it, the interface does not seem so daunting anymore, it actually is really intuitive to navigate. I also calibrated the module (after needlessly resetting the settings). Today, I had Thonk delivery of the MIDI breakout box kit today which I promptly put together so that I can really explore the SD Multisample using my MIDI keyboard - so far so good, but I can hear a strange persistent noise as each note decays (playing the Soft Piano for example). I've made a short clip to demonstrate: https://soundcloud.com/kamilmar/sd-multisample-noise

(I have the 1.4 firmware)

any ideas how to get rid of it?

Thank you!
I don't hear anything. What am I listening for?

Could you attach the file here so I can actually download it and examine it in detail?
Thanks for getting back to me. I suspect that you only need to turn up the volume slightly and then you'll be able to hear. During the decay portion of the note a very high pitched noise, almost sizzling like sound can be heard. I uploaded the file here should you wish to download it.

https://web.tresorit.com/l/fnWxO#69YVqzyIIqyy98G-s1q_0A

also, just to note, the strange sound does not always come across with the same intensity. But it can be heard very clearly on the 2nd note on that clip, right at 0:01 time. on the 4th note at 0:03 time it is also very audible.

Thank you.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am

I can just make something out.

Is it the same if you sent the decay to 'inf' i.e. don't use the module's envelopes, but let the sample ring out naturally?

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:11 am

os wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 am
jamb wrote:
https://youtu.be/jpfgU_a5rxk Here is one example. Anyone else having this issue? Really frustrated.
I strongly recommend securing the module into the case. Having it wobbling about like that is asking for trouble.

But that aside - what brand of SD card came with the module? Could you try copying all the data off, reformatting the card, and copying it back? We've had a few problems with badly duplicated cards.
I have to do this periodically. I hadn't used the EX at all for a couple of months, and when I came back to it, it just locked up. Generally when this happens, I have to format the card and put my samples back on. It seems to corrupt its own card over time when unused- and doesn't handle problems with the card particularly gracefully ;)

The first time that it happened, it was worrying.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:17 am

os wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 am
jamb wrote:

It's the SD that came with the module fresh out of the box. Do you still want me to try that?

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:27 am

kingston, btw

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:27 am

jamb wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:17 am
It's the SD that came with the module fresh out of the box. Do you still want me to try that?
The SD cards in the first batch were known to have issues.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:43 am

The Kingston ones should be OK, but it would still be worth a go.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:59 am

os wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:43 am
The Kingston ones should be OK, but it would still be worth a go.

just tried reloading the SD card and freezes within the first minute. here's what the screen looks like when freezes happen.
IMG_5167.jpg

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 pm

OK, might be time to call this one a lost cause. Rather than spending a lot more time attempting to debug, just ask the store for a replacement.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

This was the last one in stock, so unfortunately no replacements available. Thanks for your help, I hope this issue can be addressed and resolved.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 pm

jamb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:21 am
i just picked up one of these brand new and have been using it for a few hours. incredibly frustrated by the constant freeze ups. i've had to reboot the module a couple dozen times already. Just experimenting with wav playback of the drum samples that come pre-loaded on the unit. Freezes there as well as during Wavetable VCO algorithms.
Does this mean the shipments have started arriving? I have a pre-order with Detroit Modular, and I want to get my VCV Rack <-> Midi <-> Eurorack connection going.

Some scumbag on Reverb is selling one for $500 :bang: Capitalism at it's finest.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm having issues with the stock SD card too. I have the Samsung one, perhaps from the very first batch. It doesn't freeze, it just displays "No SD card" whenever I switch to the SD 6 trig algo.

Noticed after update 1.2->1.4. May or may not be related, I haven't been using any SD-bound algos much. 1.4.1beta doesn't help.
Attachments
IMG_1832.JPG

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm

synth.void wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm
I'm having issues with the stock SD card too. I have the Samsung one, perhaps from the very first batch. It doesn't freeze, it just displays "No SD card" whenever I switch to the SD 6 trig algo.

Noticed after update 1.2->1.4. May or may not be related, I haven't been using any SD-bound algos much. 1.4.1beta doesn't help.
I'm in IT support. SD cards are often not as "universal" as you would like to believe. It must suck for Expert Sleepers. You have to select a card that works without issues. But you can't test with future firmware that you haven't written yet.

"I can't lie to you about your chances :-( But you have my sympathy"

-Ash (still collating)

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm

mntbighker wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 pm
Some scumbag on Reverb is selling one for $500 :bang: Capitalism at it's finest.
I don't get this attitude.

They have a luxury good and are willing to part with it if someone will pay a premium to not have to wait until they are restocked. Most of us are willing to wait for them at regular price. Who cares if someone that's impatient overpays for one?

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm

mntbighker wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm
synth.void wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm in IT support. SD cards are often not as "universal" as you would like to believe. It must suck for Expert Sleepers. You have to select a card that works without issues. But you can't test with future firmware that you haven't written yet.

"I can't lie to you about your chances :-( But you have my sympathy"

-Ash (still collating)
Nah, I'm just a lazy ass.

Reformatting the card worked.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm

AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm
mntbighker wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 pm
I don't get this attitude.

They have a luxury good and are willing to part with it if someone will pay a premium to not have to wait until they are restocked. Most of us are willing to wait for them at regular price. Who cares if someone that's impatient overpays for one?
They are providing no value. They are depriving a real customer from purchasing one at retail. Resellers are up there with landlords for useless leeches of society.

Look at the sneaker market for where this ends up. You can't buy anything hype at retail, so the effective price for a shitty $200 pair of Jordans is $500-1000 and up. Any release is immediately gobbled up by bots that are just looking to resell. Anyone that actually wants the product for themselves has to pay over twice retail.

Oh that's just the free market. Well, yeah that's exactly what mntbighker was getting at: Capitalism at its finest.

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:48 pm

os wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am
I can just make something out.

Is it the same if you sent the decay to 'inf' i.e. don't use the module's envelopes, but let the sample ring out naturally?
There you go, I uploaded a sample where the notes ring out and you can clearly hear that sizzling oscillating noise throughout the decay stage.

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/kamilmar/noise

but also if easier to work with, I uploaded the same clip for download https://web.tresorit.com/l/YHaOS#rc-PIWEDI0OoJt33KbVh1g

Thanks for looking into it!

EDIT: I would not want to send you on a wild goose chase, I'm experimenting more with gain staging and have a feeling that perhaps the issue could be on my side. I am not running the channel hot by any means, but lowering the gain on my mixer (and maxing the gain on the SD Multisample algo to compensate) seems to make the noise go away for the most part. When I turn up the main volume on the soundcard to high levels, it can be heard again. Perhaps this is the normal behavior for the module? I did remember loopop
mention in his review that some noise that can be heard in certain situations. It certainly isn't a deal breaker the way it is now, but I figure that it is worth mentioning in case this isn't the expected behavior.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:51 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm
They are providing no value. They are depriving a real customer from purchasing one at retail. Resellers are up there with landlords for useless leeches of society.
Exactly

:hail:

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:01 pm

my concern is that i'm going to run into the same issue with the disting mk4. do people have this issue with mk4s?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am

Your issue doesn't affect the mk4.

Nor does it affect most people's EX. If swapping it at the store is not an option, perhaps you could send it here and I'll see if I can diagnose it.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:28 am

scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Look at the sneaker market for where this ends up. You can't buy anything hype at retail, so the effective price for a shitty $200 pair of Jordans is $500-1000 and up. Any release is immediately gobbled up by bots that are just looking to resell. Anyone that actually wants the product for themselves has to pay over twice retail.

Oh that's just the free market. Well, yeah that's exactly what mntbighker was getting at: Capitalism at its finest.
Used car market is worse. They will convince someone their trade is worth $5k, and sell it the next day for $20k, and sleep like a baby. That's not even an extreme example. They are either living in denial, or what.. a sociopath? Or is that a psychopath?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:43 am

Could we please keep this thread on topic, or at least about synths? Thanks.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”