Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by os » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 am

Just dropped v1.6.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 am

os wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:35 am
Sold off the Disting mk4.. Disting EX here we go, anyone know it's available anywhere in the EU?
Probably not today but any day now.
https://wigglehunt.com/?query=disting+e ... sort=price
Great, thanks!

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am

os wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:36 am
neopl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:34 am
Dropping playlist.txt file containing

-loop=0
-gap=0
-fadeIn=0
-fadeOut=0
-retriggerOnSampleChange=0

did not do anything. Looking at page 80 of disting mk4 manual... do I have to specify individual sample file names as well inside the playlist.txt?
No, but you do have to have the header ('disting playlist v1').
Perfect, that did the trick. Thanks!

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:20 am

os wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 am
Just dropped v1.6.
Giving it a spin, pretty unbelievable how good this filter sounds! I did notice a freeze up on the Poly alog however. Fast-browsing through the wavetables with the R knob froze the module on ''Reticulating splines''.

edit: I kept playing with it and it hasn't happened since, so perhaps a one off bleep.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Still playing with new Dual VCO algorithm. Quick demo patch:

Patch notes:
Chord output from Sinfonion into Disting EX. Disting setup for Dual VCO in both slots. Slow heavily attenuated LFO into Disting Z input (moving through wavetable). All four Disting outputs routed into single XaVCF filter and then through Mimeophon. No other processing of any kind.

Patch starts as above, then towards the end I turn Mimeophon mix from pretty wet to mostly dry, and then open XaVCF almost fully up with resonance turned down - what you hear from then on is just the sound of moving through Disting's wavetable. I also then isolate the 2 higher pitches of the chord (all 4 were going through Performance Mixer), and then isolate lower 2 pitches.

This was a pretty straightforward table, with mild modulation - but with the other wavetables that come with it very easy to get 8-bit-like chiptunes going, wavy electro bass, convincing flutes, etc.

Okay, now on to explore the even newer Polyalgorithm - hard to keep up with Os! :hail:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Did someone else see the insta post, that he's now made it compatible with Serum wavetables? That's pretty sick :hail:

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Finally got around to updating, new polysynth is killer, but I'm still running into issues on the multisample I was running into on the og firmware, namely a lot of weird artifacting seemingly randomly, but mostly when more than a few notes are sustained at the same time. Stuttering and popping mostly. The built in sample of the xylophone/hand drum has this happen basically anytime more than two notes are played, but it also happens often in the piano bank. Is this a known/common thing?

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 am

I had the same problem. a new, faster SD card solved my problem :-)

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:27 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Did someone else see the insta post, that he's now made it compatible with Serum wavetables? That's pretty sick :hail:
Do you know how to put those on the disting? I think he must have converted the serum files to be compatible or something

edit: from twitter" Turns out it was simple to get the disting EX loading Serum wavetables natively. Expect an update with that in shortly."

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:30 am

elinch wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 am
Makes sense! Any recommendations for good brands that work well for this?

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:59 am

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:30 am
elinch wrote:

i have same problem , migrated from a dist mk4 to a ex and im super happy , but i need a better sd card looks like what everybody got?

bindi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bindi » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 am

vilovisp wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:59 am
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:30 am
elinch wrote:

i have same problem , migrated from a dist mk4 to a ex and im super happy , but i need a better sd card looks like what everybody got?
I transferred the disting ex card contents to a Samsung EVO Plus 64GB micro SD card, and everything has been working great today (want to thank ES for the firmware update and the module, I'm really loving this) The user manual said the Samsung EVO's can utilise faster speeds than other cards:

"It can however use High Speed mode
where available to double the throughput. Unfortunately whether a given card supports High Speed
mode over SPI seems to be hard to gauge from the specs – we've tested a number of cards rated at
UHS-I and above, some of which support High Speed mode and some of which don't. For the
record, the Samsung EVO range do; the Sandisk Extreme range does not. A card which does not
support High Speed mode will read around 1.8 MB/s on the disting EX's 'Test SD speed'."

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi Bindi, any idea of the transfer speed you are achieving on the Samsung Evo Plus? Just to be able to compare with the 1.8 MB/s quoted above.

Thanks.

Waiting on my Disting EX's (2) and now looking to get the best cards in eager anticipation!

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Just loaded up some serum wavetables... I think I need 2 more disting EXs..

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Where to start with Serum wavetables? I would like to have some vocal-sounding wavetables, but browsing thousands of wavetables is not an option. Does a searchable database exist? (I do not have Serum, so I am just talking about freely distributed stuff.)

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:32 pm

LDT wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:16 pm
Where to start with Serum wavetables? I would like to have some vocal-sounding wavetables, but browsing thousands of wavetables is not an option. Does a searchable database exist? (I do not have Serum, so I am just talking about freely distributed stuff.)
Just google free serum wavetables in whatever category you like. Id advise once you load them up to take note of those you dont like and remove them
later

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi Os! While setting up my Faderfox EC4 to control the PolyWavetable algo, I have not been able to set up the six attenuverters (CC 1-6). Should I not be able to control the attenuverters via midi?

Also: An observation about delay time in PolyWavetable: As it goes up to 10 seconds (!), the shorter delay times have a rather crude resolution when controlled via midi, due to the 128 cc steps. So getting close to a musical delay time such as 1/8th notes and such, is often not really doable. Perhaps we could have a setting to select between, say, 2 seconds max and 10 seconds max?

Oh, and the surplus of Gain control is awesome. Like actually having an overdrive unit built in as well, since you have made it clip in a nice way.
Last edited by LDT on Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bindi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bindi » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:58 pm

maudibe wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Hi Bindi, any idea of the transfer speed you are achieving on the Samsung Evo Plus? Just to be able to compare with the 1.8 MB/s quoted above.

Thanks.

Waiting on my Disting EX's (2) and now looking to get the best cards in eager anticipation!
No problem, just did the test for you under Misc-> tests. Says max speed of 3 MB/sec and average of 2.99 MB/ sec. Hope that helps!

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi bindi - thanks for that, very helpful :guinness:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:11 am

LDT wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 pm
Hi Os! While setting up my Faderfox EC4 to control the PolyWavetable algo, I have not been able to set up the six attenuverters (CC 1-6). Should I not be able to control the attenuverters via midi?
Yes, but note that the mappings default to Disabled.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:20 am

LDT wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 pm
Also: An observation about delay time in PolyWavetable: As it goes up to 10 seconds (!), the shorter delay times have a rather crude resolution when controlled via midi, due to the 128 cc steps. So getting close to a musical delay time such as 1/8th notes and such, is often not really doable. Perhaps we could have a setting to select between, say, 2 seconds max and 10 seconds max?
+1
Having a built in delay in the PolyWavetable is really great. But getting close to a musical delay with 1/8 notes is difficult. Can something be done?

This PolyWavatable algorithm for the DistingEX is worth the money alone. I am really thinking in buying a second DistingEX.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:24 am

Ideas:
- tap tempo
- clock input
- sync to MIDI clock
?

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 am

Tap tempo and Sync to MIDI clock should be the best, as you don't have to waste another CV input, I think

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:40 am

Just dropped v1.6.1. Merry Christmas!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”