Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bindi
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by bindi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:43 pm

os wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:40 am
Just dropped v1.6.1. Merry Christmas!
Wow thank you so much Amazed you are clever enough to design all the features/algorithms in the disting ex, and I sure appreciate your attention to supporting and developing these tools. ! Happy Christmas to you as well.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 am

os wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:40 am
Just dropped v1.6.1. Merry Christmas!
You fixed the delay! Sweet. :party: Merry Christmas!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:50 am

And now v1.6.2. Should fix the issue some people were having when loading the Poly Wavetable algorithm.

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 am

If using 2 ex, can they share a midi I/o interface to control both?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 am

escargot wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 am
Yup, you can daisy-chain them using jumper cables (like you would use on a breadboard)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:03 am

You can also use the Select Bus to send MIDI in to multiple units.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 am

I have just posted a video using the Poly Wavetable algorithm, but sadly I recorded it previously to the latest update so my LFO is not exactly in sync. 😥

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm

So, a strange thing I'm noticing. When I'm using the SD6 algorithm, from time to time the unit will completely meltdown. Every trigger will send out a huge mess of distorted noise (which plays even when all triggers are disconnected in this state). Then the entire module locks up and I cannot change algorithm. I usually have to reboot my entire rig. This happens about 50% of the time, using the SD6. I just upgraded to the new firmware and reformatted my SD card (fearing that might have been the problem). I'm using a folder with a fair number of samples in it (150-ish) so I'm not sure if that's the issue? However, after the EX gets into this locked up state, changing folder doesn't make the issue go away. Any suggestions?

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:15 am

Just a few days ago I was trying, with a percussionist friend, to use the velocity sensitive inputs of the Disting EX with the SD6 algorithm. We had a contact mic in to MI Ears to control the gain of the signal, and then the audio was sent to the inputs of the Disting.
We could play the samples from the Disting EX without problems, but there was no sensitivity. The samples always played at max volume.
The manual says the inputs of the Disting EX are velocity sensitive and in fact I could see the different colors as we played softer or harder.

Is there any setting to modulate the volume with velocity?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am

No, it should do that by default.

I think you would need to observe or ideally record (tip: the disting EX can record!) the waveforms you're getting from the mic, so you can see exactly what peak signal levels you're sending in to the disting.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 am

os wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am

I think you would need to observe or ideally record (tip: the disting EX can record!) the waveforms you're getting from the mic, so you can see exactly what peak signal levels you're sending in to the disting.
Thanks! I am going to try it again and be careful with the gain settings to look carefully at the levels.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 am

os wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am

I tried again. When I trigger the samples using another sample, the DistingEX doesn't sound good. The sound distorts. I have tried with various samples with different pitches with no luck.
But when I tried with a trigger signal there is no problem. Also if I use a mixer to control the gain of the trigger it does respond to the velocity of the trigger, and it shows in the DistingEX screen. GOOD! :hyper:
BUT, there is a threshold limit and below of it doesn't trigger any samples. I couldn't trig below 23 or 24 value in the Disting. Could this threshold limit be modified by the user?

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 am

I guess this is a seperate gear question, but I'm wondering how possible it'd be to use a keystep pro plus a novation launch control at the same time with the disting? Specifically thinking of the poly wavetable synth, having the settings available at a knob-per-setting thing. Would like to avoid wrangling the laptop in though I can imagine a quick max patch dealing with this well enough

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 am
I guess this is a seperate gear question, but I'm wondering how possible it'd be to use a keystep pro plus a novation launch control at the same time with the disting? Specifically thinking of the poly wavetable synth, having the settings available at a knob-per-setting thing. Would like to avoid wrangling the laptop in though I can imagine a quick max patch dealing with this well enough
I think that using something like the Retrokits RK-006 you should be able to merge the two MIDI coming from the KSP and the Launch Control into a single output to be sent to the EX
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 am

mcpepe wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 am
I tried again. When I trigger the samples using another sample, the DistingEX doesn't sound good. The sound distorts. I have tried with various samples with different pitches with no luck.
But when I tried with a trigger signal there is no problem. Also if I use a mixer to control the gain of the trigger it does respond to the velocity of the trigger, and it shows in the DistingEX screen. GOOD! :hyper:
BUT, there is a threshold limit and below of it doesn't trigger any samples. I couldn't trig below 23 or 24 value in the Disting. Could this threshold limit be modified by the user?
IIRC the threshold is 1V. I could make it adjustable.

If you're just feeding a sample into the trigger input, it could potentially trigger the disting on every cycle of the incoming signal, which isn't going to sound awesome. You really want to do a basic envelope follow on the triggering sound.

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 am
escargot wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 am
Yup, you can daisy-chain them using jumper cables (like you would use on a breadboard)
Sorry what cable and ports should I use? The first one uses gt4 port, then which other ones? Thanks

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 am

os wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:03 am
You can also use the Select Bus to send MIDI in to multiple units.
I think I just realise what you are saying reading about omnimod and preset saving through power bus, so no cable needed! Nice. Need to find it in the menus now...
Could EX save other modules presets like omnimod?

Thanks

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:08 pm

os wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 am
mcpepe wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 am
IIRC the threshold is 1V. I could make it adjustable.

If you're just feeding a sample into the trigger input, it could potentially trigger the disting on every cycle of the incoming signal, which isn't going to sound awesome. You really want to do a basic envelope follow on the triggering sound.
Yes. That explains why the audio sample doesn't sound good. But triggering with a gate or basic envelope sounds perfect.

It would be nice if you can make the threshold adjustable! Thanks.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Can I just say, the Wavetable synth algorithm is bloody great, my MicroFreak is looking worried 😉
here hare here!

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:40 am

Mine (2) just landed with me the other day :) and after some wrangling on the old modular-grid, installed. They have version 1.5 firmware and seem nice and stable - just playing with one in the 6 trigger mode for percussion/drums at the moment.

Is this mode stable on the latest firmware 1.63beta ?

Also, another question - I am just randomly roving around the folders and loading samples at the moment: Is there a list anywhere of the factory card content / folders and settings?

Otherwise, this is going to take a long long time to explore and set up! Especially with my poor eyesight :help:

And thanks OS for the superb modules ... quite a thing of beauty!

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:05 am

Observations so far and many apologies for the long post, but since a lot of this has not been discussed as far as I can tell ...

Really nice!

Anyway ... Yes, I found an card reader / adapter so I could examine the card on PC - so that answers my question in the above post, and yes, installed the latest firmware, all good.

So, here are some points that may answer some questions; The supplied library is pretty good, however, some of the samples are at quite a low level. So anyone complaining of really low levels in the SD Multisample Algo or the 6 Trigger Algo should perhaps look at doing a bit of normalising or adjustment. I have a variety of tools at my disposal, but one I downloaded last night is very good (if ancient looking) for editing samples: Wavosaur - it's free and allows you to trim, insert loop markers, change bit depth and convert mono to stereo etc etc at the click of a button. Very nice. I found it because I was looking for something that would include loop points embedded in a wav file.

Before I started tooling around with the Micro SD Card I made a full safety back up. Essential I think, as there does not appear to be an available image from Os. Perhaps a copyright issue thing.

There are a *lot* of Apple Trash files all over the micro SD, showing that the image has been through a Mac at some point - this clutters up the card terribly as each file on the card has a corresponding spotlight / trash file of 4kB - that's a lot of 4kB files! It is safe to go through and delete them.
Obviously, if you put the card into a Mac for editing, they will all be recreated - you have been warned. I love my Mac in the studio and the files there have a useful purpose, but not for the Disting. So if you have the chance (i.e. edit your card on a PC) get rid.

Since the library is from diverse sources, it is a bit 'all over the place'. And really, as I feared in my first post, you will have a job exploring what you have got without getting a nice big window open on a computer. Unless you like hit and miss sound selection. Scrolling through everything and previewing in the Disting could take forever.
IMHO you are better creating some personalised folders and copying your chosen files into them - for drums certainly. One kit in each folder... say 6 samples and some round robins for various pieces... easy to make some variations in the editor mentioned above. So far I have just made a couple of folders, nice and minimal - i.e. the folders are not cluttered with stacks of samples, and no choices have to be made as there are six pieces (plus RR) in each folder. I then created a Pre-set in the Disting allowing for volume, pan and choke etc, named and saved to card.

Doing this will allow you to achieve consistency across various drum folders - as it stands they are all over the place; sometimes kick coming on trig 1 and others on trig 6. Route to modular confusion! So, for all using this algo, I highly recommend setting a few days aside to put the house in order to your liking!

I also found that down sampling to 16 bit and mono (yes some files are stereo) for drums makes little noticeable difference to the replay quality, but is obviously lightning the load.
I have had no problems though with the supplied Kingston 32Gb card even at 24bit. However, all my drums are now being reduced to 16bit as I copy them to my own folders. I still of course have the 24bit full fat should I decide it was a bad move!

SD Multisample: Nice, but the supplied material is a lot less in quantity and quality than the drum samples. You will need to get sampling or importing; but that's where the fun is anyway.

One problem I have found is that of apparent 'note stealing'. Working with a supplied choir sound resulted in silence after a while. I was trying to get a massive long held choir drone/chord (the eternal Mellotron loop). It just stopped after a while and further triggers did not revive it until I disabled sustain or adjusted the release envelope. So, I need to look into loop points and such. No glitching though, so it was not a bottleneck or card issue.

I bought these two units for sample playback ... I'm sure I will explore the other features, but for now, for what I wanted, excellent :) And using the modules, one for drums, one for pads / chords-arps is not confusing at all - no manual bashing once I got my head around the menu for these similar modes.

Thanks again OS for creating this work of art. And I hope this longish post is helpful to some.

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:28 pm

maudibe wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:05 am
Thanks again OS for creating this work of art. And I hope this longish post is helpful to some.
Thanks maudibe. Very helpful. I've not used the sample playback feature, but your detailed post is pushing me to try it. Appreciate any future updates you care to make.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks DCDanno. For sure, I will post any bits of info.

Just had a buddy around for a little jam and he was mighty impressed with the drums - I just used one of the folders I created clocked by the PNW and Zularic .... it was a joy, especially offsetting the hi-hat sound by a few clicks on the PWN... shuffle-tastic :) He said he couldn't believe it was coming off the modular .... that's good enough for me. :party:

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:47 am

OK. So a little follow up to my previous experiences of the last couple of days.

I am trying to 'make the instrument my own' if you get my drift, so Disting EX number 1 in my rack is dedicated to drum sound duties and one-shot samples (aka Radio Music style).

I have no problem at all getting everything to work and trigger sweetly. This is good :)

However, of course, I want to work with many different banks of samples and have each bank follow my entered settings for volume, pan, envelope and such.

It appears that I have to create 'pre-sets' that are separate entities from the actual sample folder. Perhaps I am being dumb / stoopid, but is there a way to definitively associate the folder loaded with the pre-set created for it? I have read the manual, and as a previous technical adviser at Uni, I have written many manuals (but mostly idiot guides!) ... but I can't get my head around how pre-sets are assigned. By default they appear to get saved in the root of the card. Is this correct, or can I move them to a folder so there is an association.

Baby steps here.

Thanks for any help. Perhaps OS can chime in and clarify?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:27 am

Presets work like on any other synth - there's a flat list of them in memory, and you save your 'sound' to one of the slots.

You can however also save the presets as files on the SD card, and then move them (on a computer, not on the disting itself) into a folder. For example, the card shipped with the disting has a folder of presets for the Goldbaby sample sets.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”