Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dbnegative
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by dbnegative » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 am

:woah: Cant wait!!! I hoping this is on the release horizon soon!!

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am

would be possible to get a oscilloscope mode? would be so so so handy , dont need to be complex , just visualizing waveform and telling some useful data would be more than enough

PLEAAAAASEEEEE , PLEAAAAAAAAAASEEEEE

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am

I don't have the module in front of me to test this, but how well does the multisampler work with a home-brewed sample at one pitch? Like does it speed up/slow down the sample significantly as it's pitched up and down the keyboard?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

Yes. One octave up means double the speed, one octave down means half speed.

If you want to maintain the speed, the new Granulator mode might be what you want.

richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Anyone making sliver/grey panels for the ex?

johnbaptistephilouza
Common Wiggler

Post by johnbaptistephilouza » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:32 pm

os wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

If you want to maintain the speed, the new Granulator mode might be what you want.
hell yeah, stoked! prob should look at getting another soon

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:33 pm

os wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

Gotcha, that just makes me more hyped for the granulator! i'd imagine the best way to eventually do that will be to stick the sample in the granulator, record it's pitched/un time stretched output, and pop it back into the multisample?

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn - A good way to go with this if you only have 1 sample is to pop it into Audition (which is free) and then do some pitch work on it, which maintains the correct speed at a re-pitch. It's pretty good, but can't obviously do the impossible. But it at least lets you play higher pitches without over-extending the Distings card read rate ability. Somewhere in the middle is a happy balance.

Another nice trick for your samples is to run them through Paul Stretch (also available in Audition). You can get some amazing textures and super long samples to use as one shots. Because they are messed up anyway, re-pitch is not an issue until you run out of bandwidth on the card read rate.

I spent (and continue to spend) a fair while editing samples, tuning them and getting sweet sounds. Now the final icing on the cake was running the Disting multi-sampler through the FX-Aid. Wow. Glorious.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:42 pm

maudibe wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:38 pm
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn - A good way to go with this if you only have 1 sample is to pop it into Audition (which is free) and then do some pitch work on it, which maintains the correct speed at a re-pitch. It's pretty good, but can't obviously do the impossible. But it at least lets you play higher pitches without over-extending the Distings card read rate ability. Somewhere in the middle is a happy balance.

Another nice trick for your samples is to run them through Paul Stretch (also available in Audition). You can get some amazing textures and super long samples to use as one shots. Because they are messed up anyway, re-pitch is not an issue until you run out of bandwidth on the card read rate.

I spent (and continue to spend) a fair while editing samples, tuning them and getting sweet sounds. Now the final icing on the cake was running the Disting multi-sampler through the FX-Aid. Wow. Glorious.
Do you have a, like, normal amount you pitch it up/down before you pop it into the multisample? like do you just get a couple different octaves of the original sample and let the disting do it's magic for the semitones?

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:47 pm

I tend to try for 5 semitones or there about. Obviously, if you want super hi fidelity you would go for every semitone or every other. But I'm not too fussy if it sounds epic. :)

It also depends on the sound itself - if you are using a long pad and are going to smear it in reverb (as I do) you can get away with murder. But if you wanted a beautifully sampled acoustic guitar, then you are going to want every semitone with round robins and velocity etc. Too much hassle for me to be fair, as that sort of thing I grab in the DAW box.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm

Just an interesting aside. I am an old git, and therefore come from the long range of Akai samplers... s900, s950, s1000 and s5000 (I gave that one away) LOL oh and before that an FZ1 that I also passed onto a budding creative...

So, back in the day, memory was short and the idea of vast multi-samples was really a non starter. How times have changed. But it is still sort of fun to work with that mindset - and certainly on the early samplers, time of sample was super short. I think it gave rise to 'that sound' of electronica of the day. Quite blippy and staccato. Synth pads filled in the space as required.

Apart from using long one shots, that back in the day I would probably just fired off a tape machine... I still like to work old school with the sampler. I enjoy it when the samples go 'out of range' and become different. Obviously you try and ovoid the chipmunks or Darth Vader... I suppose :) But in a certain range, tones can mutate and become something otherworldly as the harmonics just get bent out of shape. This is more noticeable with previously 'natural sounds' and not so evident of course with synth type voices.

Mangle it. If it sounds good... it is.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm

Just dropped v1.7.

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 am

Thank you, Os!!!!!!!!!
:hail:

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:50 am

Okay yeah the granulator is absolutely exactly what I was hoping to do with samples. Very exciting!

On a side note, I think I remember seeing folks say they've had issues with the ex saying there's no SD card half the time on boot up - did this issue get solved? Mine has been doing the same thing after changing cards from the one packed with it

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:19 am

os wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm
Just dropped v1.7.

Hells Yes!!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 pm

vilovisp wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am
would be possible to get a oscilloscope mode? would be so so so handy , dont need to be complex , just visualizing waveform and telling some useful data would be more than enough

PLEAAAAASEEEEE , PLEAAAAAAAAAASEEEEE
what he said...
here hare here!

Blond 12
Common Wiggler

Post by Blond 12 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:52 am

Hellos Os

Thanks again for this amazing new update. The new granulator work so well.

I just have to report one bug.
The sd multisample his now unusable on my side.

I never had this issue before 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Here is the setup.
My midi keyboard into FH-2 USB linked with the Disting EX ( PCB cable 4pin)
And now when i use for exemple the preset piano 49 if you just do a stress test pressing just the same note alternatively in tempo at some point the sound start to lag with latency then stopping the sound , freezing then playing again and sometimes i have to restart the module cause general freeze.
I never had this problem on prévious others firmware.

Thanks in advance having a look on that.

johnbaptistephilouza
Common Wiggler

Post by johnbaptistephilouza » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Blond 12 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:52 am
Hellos Os

Thanks again for this amazing new update. The new granulator work so well.

I just have to report one bug.
The sd multisample his now unusable on my side.

I never had this issue before 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Here is the setup.
My midi keyboard into FH-2 USB linked with the Disting EX ( PCB cable 4pin)
And now when i use for exemple the preset piano 49 if you just do a stress test pressing just the same note alternatively in tempo at some point the sound start to lag with latency then stopping the sound , freezing then playing again and sometimes i have to restart the module cause general freeze.
I never had this problem on prévious others firmware.

Thanks in advance having a look on that.
I believe I've run into this same problem on v1.6, haven't gotten around to checking on v1.7 yet

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Jesus, the multisampling and now the granulator - sweet! What's the general consensus on navigating the parameters on the EX? Is there a lot of diving involved, or is it rather intuitive?

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Daisuk - its deep, of course, to provide so many parameters and possibilities in so many modes. But once you have twiddled and tweaked it, saved the preset and how the cv mapping works, then it is a doddle :) You can just call up your favourites at a couple of presses and a scroll on a button.

Also worth mentioning, in the wavetable synth / multisample sample type modes then a lot of the parameters are very similar, which lessens the learning curve somewhat. Once you are dancing around the paramenters you have it cracked! Now, I need to play with the granular, but looking at the demo it seems quite logical... and if you have ever played with Steinberg / Cubase Pad Shop Pro it will seem very familiar, most likely.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:41 am

maudibe wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Daisuk - its deep, of course, to provide so many parameters and possibilities in so many modes. But once you have twiddled and tweaked it, saved the preset and how the cv mapping works, then it is a doddle :) You can just call up your favourites at a couple of presses and a scroll on a button.

Also worth mentioning, in the wavetable synth / multisample sample type modes then a lot of the parameters are very similar, which lessens the learning curve somewhat. Once you are dancing around the paramenters you have it cracked! Now, I need to play with the granular, but looking at the demo it seems quite logical... and if you have ever played with Steinberg / Cubase Pad Shop Pro it will seem very familiar, most likely.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. :) I reckon it's worth a shot!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:09 am

I've posted a set of 50 presets for the Poly Wavetable algorithm (by Wiggler @LDT).

Audio demo:

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingEXcontent.html

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:31 pm

os - Epic! Thank you so much ... having lots of fun making my own, but this bunch of presets is fab, and a great springboard for further wiggling :)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 am

Regarding the new Granulator mode, I found that it can...

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 am

:party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”