Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by maudibe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm

'Tis odd - I have no problems. My card is the standard one that came with the Distings (I have two) but I copied the contents, low level formatted both cards and put the files back (minus all the crud). Perfect once I did a firmware update. Everything working as should.

I would suggest doing this.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:58 pm

yes it is odd. Seems like only a couple reports of SD multisample not working right. I've already tried reformatting the card the way it is described in the manual but no luck with 1.7.1. Not a big deal since 1.6.3 works great and all I use is the SD multisample algorithm anyway so I'll stay on that till it gets worked out.

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 pm

i have a disting ex with the kingston canvas sd card.

ITS working so so so so badly , is constantly freezing in all playbackmodes , i try new firmware and the same

any tips to try out?

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 pm

Which modes are you using? and are you sending midi or are you using cv and gates?

...maybe try backing up the contents of you card to a computer then reformat the card. Make sure to follow the steps on how to format the card that are in the manual. If that doesn't help maybe try firmware version 1.6.3.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 pm

Any talk of anyone making silver faceplates for this (Grayscale)?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 am

In case anyone was wondering what the 'MTS-ESP' thing was, that was mentioned in the latest firmware update:

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:43 am

multisample works goood but i still have problem with the simple dual modes of playback . Freezing and stopping.

for all of you they work fine?

i reformated sd and all but still happens

flies
Common Wiggler

Post by flies » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm

os wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 am
New video from Sound Isles:

Sounds awesome. Lots of param's to mess with. It looks like it plays up to 20 simultaneous grains?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm

flies wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm
os wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 am
New video from Sound Isles:

Sounds awesome. Lots of param's to mess with. It looks like it plays up to 20 simultaneous grains?
Yeah, you can limit how many you want it to play at the same time, but 20 is the max limit. It really sounds fantastic. Above and beyond any other granular currently in eurorack for sure.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:24 pm

os wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 am
In case anyone was wondering what the 'MTS-ESP' thing was, that was mentioned in the latest firmware update:
That is quite interesting indeed. Now I'm going to have to read the text of the latest firmware to discover how the MTS-ESP is being supported hardware-wise. Is this Disting EX only or all ES stuff that supports microtuning?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:08 am

The FH-2 also has MTS-ESP support now, and on the software side, Silent Way supports it too.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 am

Whats the word on the sample playback problems on the new firmware ? Is this happening to alot of people ? Any ideas from os ? Granulator seems cool but, maybe not worth losing any other sample playback stuff....

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 am

Still gathering information. Not something I can repro here so far.

Mule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mule » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 am

Not sure if this helps or not Oz, but I received my 2 disting ex’s last night and I upgraded the firmware of just one of them to the latest 1.7.1 and the other was default manufacturing firmware 1.6.? I did notice that the multi sample had a lot of clicks on the 1.7.1 version and not on the disting that I did not upgrade the firmware. So I am also seeing this regression that others are seeing. FYI was using mainly the piano samples if that helps.

Blond 12
Common Wiggler

Post by Blond 12 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 am

Mule wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 am
Not sure if this helps or not Oz, but I received my 2 disting ex’s last night and I upgraded the firmware of just one of them to the latest 1.7.1 and the other was default manufacturing firmware 1.6.? I did notice that the multi sample had a lot of clicks on the 1.7.1 version and not on the disting that I did not upgrade the firmware. So I am also seeing this regression that others are seeing. FYI was using mainly the piano samples if that helps.
Same on my side i played with Multisample algo a lot on 2 or 3 previous firmware before... Never had issues since day one but with the last firmware, multisample is unusable...
It happens a lot with the piano sound ( preset 49 or 50) module looks working then he start playing one note out of two then freeze... Then back again lagging then totally freeze.
To reproduce that, plug keyboard by USB into FH-2 ( linked with the Disting by 4pin cable) and just press the same not on a keyboard quick ( like if you wanna play with one finger a single note, pressing quickly alternatively)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm

For people struggling with 1.7, I would be interested to know if this makes any difference:

https://github.com/expertsleepersltd/is ... st.hex.zip

I doubt it will, but you never know.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 pm

...it works for me. I've been paying a midi sequence that would make 1.7.1 have problems and all is good so far. It has been playing for 20 minutes, so yeah I think whatever you did seems to have fixed it. thank you. I hope it works for the others too.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:11 am

Thanks. If you have time, a comparison against the released 1.7.2 would also be useful.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:03 am

...been running 1.7.2 release version in SD multisample mode this morning and it works great, no problems at all so far. Thank you.

metajon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by metajon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm

I have no luck with the SD Multisample ALGO. Got my Disting Ex four days ago and since then i try to get that Beast running smooth.
Running 1.6 no luck
Running 1.7 and reformattet the Stock SD (kingston) with FAT32 and 32KB cluster...No luck
FW 1.7 Samsung EVO "green" 64GB FAT32 and 32KB cluster also no luck :/
FW1.7.2 both Samsung and Kinston same result. Drope outs and later freeze module
FW 1.6.3 also no luck :*(
Try to read all the threads about that probelm and do my best to solve it by my self. But i dont know what i make wrong?
Any Stupid mistake that i dont see?
I also have a Friend who has no problems with the Samsung EVO "green" 32GB card.
Did the SD Test on the Disting and it was always around 3.07 avg MB/s
Ah Yes i played with a midi Keyboard and some also with TRIG/CV and of course Gateoffset up to 400
Last edited by metajon on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blond 12
Common Wiggler

Post by Blond 12 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Hello same on my side the new firmware 1.7.2 dont Fix the issue.
The sd Multisample algo is still completly bugged now. I try a new way to reproduce the problem , this time i let out the FH-2 of the chain, i just preset a repetitiv trigger direct in the disting input gate like a clock and the disting just play one or two note and skip some sound, lagging or freezing like a buffer problem to finally freeze completly the module. I always have to restart him....

An other way to provocate that bug at all time too, is to "stress test" the module playing a keyboard by midi and pressing notes really quickly ( like a dumb baby ) randomly and you'll see that at some point the module crash.
Using the preset piano seems to be the more efficient to have that bug.

* I also tryed the sd card reformat trick ( with MBR partition) but same problem.

Again, before the "Granulator firmware" everything was fine. I can do a vidéo maybe it can help to troubleshoot?
Last edited by Blond 12 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:58 pm

metajon wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm
reformattet the Stock SD (kingston) with FAT32 and 32KB cluster
When you reformatted the cards did you also partition them using "Master Boot Record"?

chart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chart » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:25 am

Hello,

Thank you Os for this amazing module.
I've spent the last 2 hours reading this thread to avoid repeating something but please excuse me if I do.

I just got my brand new Disting ex 2 days ago and I've been watching the YT videos and reading the manual.
The first thing I did was install firmware v1.7.1 but I was having some problems with 3 -SD multisample mode and CV /triggers (the clicks, glitches, crashing while scanning folders). Some people suggested testing the SD card speed. I'm using the provided SD card and the average speed is 2.7 mb/s. Then, I formatted the SD card and installed firmware v1.7.2. I tried it again and the clicks were gone but as soon as I changed the value for the gate offset the clicks came back and didn't go away no matter what value I entered (from min to max).

I see a few others are having similar problems and I'm wondering in what way could I contribute to help figure out what the problem is? a video? audio recording? how should I isolate the problem, any ideas?

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 am

For those still having issues, please try the test firmware I posted above:

Sorry these issues are dragging on. The EX is a complex thing, especially when you factor in the SD cards and the potential variability in their performance. At some point I may just have to gather the problematic units here.

Blond 12
Common Wiggler

Post by Blond 12 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 am

os wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 am
For those still having issues, please try the test firmware I posted above:

Sorry these issues are dragging on. The EX is a complex thing, especially when you factor in the SD cards and the potential variability in their performance. At some point I may just have to gather the problematic units here.
Hello Os. First of all thanks trying to find a solution. Sure we 'll find out.

So i tryed your last fix "1.7.2Inst." and he dosnt change my problem. The sound cut, lagg or glitch after a moment of intense playing. ( Like 10 sec after playing intensely )
Here is some new infos for you.
I notice that any time i start my module and i want to go on " sd multisample algo " for the first time is always a fail saying " No SD card" then i relaunch again the algo and i can enter normaly in it.

concerning SD card test in misc menu, another thing i realised, if i try to do a SD card test After the module start doing the " lagg and lost sound " bug , its impossible to do a SD card test saying " No SD card"

If i never fire the SD multisample and provocate the bug before i can do as normal the sd card test and here is my results

Cluster reads :
Min 2,92 MB/s
Max 2,96 MB/s
Avg 2,93 MB/s

I'll do some other test with 2 other SD card and i'll let u know.
Maybe it can be cool to make a dowloadable clone of your " healthy" SD card to be sure im not using a corrupted content 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”