Xaoc expander question

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Xaoc expander question

Post by black_label » Wed May 06, 2020 1:06 am

For those who have both Poti and Nin, which do you get more use out of? Which seems to have more utility?

I have a Zadar and a Batumi and 3hp free in my case. Thanks!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Xaoc expander question

Post by lisa » Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 am

Well, do you feel the need to change the changeable waveform on Batumi or do you feel the need to control two parameters at once with CV on each channel of Zadar? If I had to choose I’d go for the latter and just set Batumi to triangle.
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 am

lisa wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 am
Well, do you feel the need to change the changeable waveform on Batumi or do you feel the need to control two parameters at once with CV on each channel of Zadar? If I had to choose I’d go for the latter and just set Batumi to triangle.
That’s a nice clear way of putting it. I’m leaning towards the expander for Zadar, like you said; the manual trigs are nice as well. If I could do anything with 3hp for an expander, it would be to put attenuators on all of Batumi’s outputs.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 am

That’s a nice clear way of putting it. I’m leaning towards the expander for Zadar, like you said; the manual trigs are nice as well. If I could do anything with 3hp for an expander, it would be to put attenuators on all of Batumi’s outputs.
Get yourself some in-line attenuators, no sense in wasting hp on that :)

titaanzink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by titaanzink » Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 am

No-brainer. Nin over Poti if you only have 3HP left

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 am
In line attenuators?? I don’t think I’ve seen those - only mults. Who makes them?

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed May 06, 2020 12:44 pm

black_label wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Fog Door wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 am
In line attenuators?? I don’t think I’ve seen those - only mults. Who makes them?

Koma attenuator cables
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/koma-ele ... -5-pk.html

RYO Airtenuators (though they seem tough to come by)
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ryo-airtenuator/
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm

I know Ryo used to do them, I have seen them for sale on this very forum. I am in the UK and I get them from a seller on Ebay called micro.tech (who I do not know and am not in any way affiliated with!) he sells them for about £20 ($25 ish) for 3. But there must be tons of folks in the US knocking them out, they are simple but very, very handy and not in any way cumbersome. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how easy it is to make them but I am seriously useless at DIY :lol:

edit: Sorry mkasthe, I did not see your very helpful post before I began mine :)

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed May 06, 2020 12:52 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm
I know Ryo used to do them, I have seen them for sale on this very forum. I am in the UK and I get them from a seller on Ebay called micro.tech (who I do not know and am not in any way affiliated with!) he sells them for about £20 ($25 ish) for 3. But there must be tons of folks in the US knocking them out, they are simple but very, very handy and not in any way cumbersome. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how easy it is to make them but I am seriously useless at DIY :lol:

edit: Sorry mkasthe, I did not see your very helpful post before I began mine :)
No worries :)

I would also discourage against using the stereo version of headphone cables with volume control that one can find e.g. on Amazon, IIRC I think there might by a temporary shortcut due to the extra pin inside the TRS socket that could mess with some modules (and in general better safe than sorry)
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Wed May 06, 2020 1:32 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Fog Door wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm

No worries :)

I would also discourage against using the stereo version of headphone cables with volume control that one can find e.g. on Amazon, IIRC I think there might by a temporary shortcut due to the extra pin inside the TRS socket that could mess with some modules (and in general better safe than sorry)
Thank you both! These will help save some hp for sure.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed May 06, 2020 1:44 pm

While I generally agree that Nin is more valuable, I wound up getting Poti, too, more because of being able to toggle between sync and reset than for selecting a shape.

<grump>I resent both expanders utterly. They are really irritating to deal with when moving modules around, and I believe all their functions should have been built into the modules in the first place.</grump>

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:44 pm
While I generally agree that Nin is more valuable, I wound up getting Poti, too, more because of being able to toggle between sync and reset than for selecting a shape.

<grump>I resent both expanders utterly. They are really irritating to deal with when moving modules around, and I believe all their functions should have been built into the modules in the first place.</grump>
I generally agree with the idea that expander functionality should just be built into a module in the first place. Why/how are they irritating to deal with when moving modules around?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 am

Two more screws, a slim expander flopping around tethered to the main module. The usual.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 am

black_label wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 am
attenuators on all of Batumi’s outputs.
Update to the expert firmware for Batumi and you'll have this plus many more things like a chaotic waveform or summed LFOs.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 am

ggillon wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 am
black_label wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 am
attenuators on all of Batumi’s outputs.
Update to the expert firmware for Batumi and you'll have this plus many more things like a chaotic waveform or summed LFOs.
I saw that in the manual. I’ll have to try that one out!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”