Modules that FEEL good

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Re: Modules that FEEL good

Post by daphnid » Mon May 11, 2020 4:15 pm

JES wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am
daphnid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 pm

Rossum also has great knobs, as solid as Doepfer and Erica but that grippy sleeve just sticks to your finger.
Just goes to show how personal “feel” is. I thought the Rossum knobs were ok but so close together they would be impractical for performance.
I feel like almost everything in eurorack is relatively cramped lol. It's never been a big issue for me as I have long, spindly fingers and played string instruments for over 20 years so I'm used to hand gymnastics. But one thing I also really like about Rossum knobs it they are hard to accidentally move when you bump them, unlike say the E352, which has great feeling knobs but I'm always knocking it out of tune on accident.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon May 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Anything by ALM really. It’s about the approach to design and the message it communicates. It invites to be goofy and play some weird music. Somehow, everything from the stickers in the box to the text on panels, to knobs makes me smile.

I wonder how the cutoff knob on MUM M8 feels.

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 pm

rossum & schippman :D

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon May 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Schippmann has a similar reassuring resistance to Joranalogue. Ditto Analogue Systems. I'd say Waldorf's futuristic beautifully brushed aluminium knobs are fantastic- especially when you consider the spaciousness and aesthetics of their modules.
The rotaries of the Frap CGM feel good but my favourites have to be on the Pithoprakta. Smart, solid knurled metal with that magic resistance. Thanks to the space, the knobs are bigger than the typically higher density euro panels. Sorry I veered off into aesthetics..
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Most anything from Live Wire. Big knobs. Plenty of space. Interesting.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 am

+1 on the happy nerding dual concentric pots !
i really like the upper one as a manual CV source!
its not spottable from distance if you don´t own any of these modules.
The dual x-fade feels also great

+1 on the soft touch knobs on joranalogue.
those are in fact my prefered Knobs to replace doepfer and intelijel knobs.
got me once a bunch from sibalco ( which is just the importeur in germany, what i found out recently)
I in fact made a request at thonk.uk a few months back for these knobs, and thonk.uk was allready on the go to get these knobs in from its original source. so watch out at thonk if you want these knobs to replace some others ;)
These knobs do really make doepfer modules feel better !
Fun fact: intellijel used to use these same knobs on their early modules, but changed to those "crappy unpleasing things to touch" they use since then. FAIL
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Tue May 12, 2020 1:44 am

+1 on the happy nerding dual pots. Those are genius, in that they save space, but ALSO provide more functionality.

musicaespressiva
Common Wiggler

Post by musicaespressiva » Tue May 12, 2020 7:15 am

Cwejman. Clean design, well-spaced and quality built
WTB: Keith McMillen 12 Steps controller with MIDI expander

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed May 13, 2020 8:33 am

i could agree that some of the Rossum knobs are too close. and the Assmiliator is missing like 8 or so ;) but they do feel nice

someone mentioned natural gate also.. but i think its a bit too small
those tiny attenuverters are very difficult to reach and dial in. and imo for an lpg the attenuator is even more important than the bias. i also find without the sides normalized to each other i constantly have a cable mess at that module. But ill never sell it, the sound is so good.

Verbos to me, is the epitome of modules that feel good. the resistance on the knobs, the spacing, where everything was placed... its like a work of art. the CVP for example, the layout is just perfect for playability where all the cv signals come together.

Im also a huge fan of schippmann and cwejman’s feel but verbos takes it for me.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed May 13, 2020 8:45 am

Both my Frap Tools modules feel great. USTA and Falistri. Metal knobs are wonderful.
THUMPR BC SC

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed May 13, 2020 8:50 am

Honesty, doepfer!
I normally change the knobs, but the pots always feel really quality, and I like the jacks they use.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:37 am

i dig the joystick motion on Planar 2

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Wed May 13, 2020 11:00 am

Filter 8. And as someone else mentioned, E352, but it is far too easy to knock out of tune. I’ve considered replacing the tuning knobs with smaller ones, just to get them out of the way.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am

My Synthesis Tech E350. Knobs are just sooooo smooth to turn. Still my longest tenured module in my whole setup. It just oozes quality. Thanks Paul!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed May 13, 2020 3:24 pm

There's something about how bigger knobs travel easily with just one finger. In my rack I'm looking at Frames, Belgrad and Kamieniec.

Voct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Voct » Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

I just received W/ from Mannequins today. The amount of thought that went into packaging and pcb designs is impressive. I just got it so I don't know how easy the UI is to master... But I have to assume that the creativity and effort apparent in the packaging and designs on the pcbs is indicative of the care taken on the whole product. I felt great after just opening the box!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Noise Engineering have the best knob-game in town IMO. They feel so heavy and strong, when you twist those encoders on the loquelic you feel like you're controlling the thermostat of the universe.

Honourable mention to Bastl encoders and faders too - feel like they're meant to be slammed around and can take a lot of abuse.
Current curator of Perth Ambient.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 pm

mhtones wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am
My Synthesis Tech E350. Knobs are just sooooo smooth to turn. Still my longest tenured module in my whole setup. It just oozes quality. Thanks Paul!
True, I love the feel of all my synth tech stuff

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Wed May 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Voct wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

I just received W/ from Mannequins today. The amount of thought that went into packaging and pcb designs is impressive. I just got it so I don't know how easy the UI is to master... But I have to assume that the creativity and effort apparent in the packaging and designs on the pcbs is indicative of the care taken on the whole product. I felt great after just opening the box!
the switches on w/ feel amazing :3 the UI takes learning but once you get it it's really brilliant the way it's done. i'm getting my second soon for loops in loops hehe, good luck with it :tu:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 pm

one of my least fav's - Make Noise. STOP USING PLASTIC SHAFTS! makes knobs feel wobbly, poor resistance, and in my experience, shorter lifespan.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri May 15, 2020 1:45 pm

I've really never been bothered by Make Noise knobs. I never noticed they were "wobbly" except when I see a complaint and then grab one and try to wobble it. Sure enough, it moves a little bit. :despair:

(The Harvstman, more so... but "wobbliness" has never bothered me as much as the variance in turning resistance.)

Anyway, back to feeling good: the big knob on Angle Grinder has a nice feel. Visually I don't usually care for shiny knobs with minimal pointers that can be obscured by glare, but it does feel really good. And I don't find that pointers on frequency knobs are as visually important as on some other controls.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:45 pm
I've really never been bothered by Make Noise knobs. I never noticed they were "wobbly" except when I see a complaint and then grab one and try to wobble it. Sure enough, it moves a little bit. :despair:

(The Harvstman, more so... but "wobbliness" has never bothered me as much as the variance in turning resistance.)

Anyway, back to feeling good: the big knob on Angle Grinder has a nice feel. Visually I don't usually care for shiny knobs with minimal pointers that can be obscured by glare, but it does feel really good. And I don't find that pointers on frequency knobs are as visually important as on some other controls.
What can I say, I appreciate a nice sturdy resistance/feel to my modules/pots... and it’s extremely noticeable when comparing to other modules in my system that use metal shaft pots. Honesty they feel cheap in comparison. And I have also had several pots on make noise modules that have needed replacement in the last 4 or 5 years, and not with any other brands.
At least they have good customer service..

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:34 pm

my most satisfying i own is the erica polivoks. the cutoff has a large knob like most filters, but the shape and resistance is perfect.. it has large indents around the circumference that make it easy to get a hold of with one finger. might not have ended up using it as often as i do with a different pot/knob.

i think doepfer/mutable are a bit too stiff. some harvestman knobs/sliders are nice, like hertz donut/piston honda, though some are a bit wobbly.
Last edited by dooj88 on Fri May 15, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Rabid wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm
Most anything from Live Wire. Big knobs. Plenty of space. Interesting.
The 3-position mode selection knob on my Frequensteiner is SO STIFF. I racked it with two screws when I first got it and with each turn it felt like I was going to pull the module out of the rack.
Preamp collector

apestate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by apestate » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Strakal Brulu has brought me some real thrills each time I twist the knob into the screaming range. But when I manage to get the right amount of input gain / distortion dialled-in......that's a good feeling.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”