Modules that FEEL good

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Modules that FEEL good

Post by ferran » Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Mutable are perfect for my taste.

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Sun May 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:06 pm
my favourites have to be on the Pithoprakta. Smart, solid knurled metal with that magic resistance. Thanks to the space, the knobs are bigger than the typically higher density euro panels. Sorry I veered off into aesthetics..
Thanks for the shout, glad you're liking it! It can be tough for designers to find the sweet spot on spaciousness - pretty much every module that isn't super cramped will inevitably lead to threads asking "what module is just like this one but smaller?"

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm

synth.void wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:35 pm
I wonder how the cutoff knob on MUM M8 feels.
made me laugh. it's true, ALM modules (pots in particular) feel indestructible, and they have good style (aesthetically pleasing) ... i find Wogglebug v2 and MN Function well-engaging, from the perspective of a novice. they're welcoming, and conducive to figuring things out by feel alone. agree w/everybody about Joranalogue- Filter 8 knobs and switches feel proper superlative, the module welcomes experimenting/play, or feeling it out. didn't get along w/HN concentric pots, they felt cold and sometimes it was difficult to see the lines. Similarly not a huge fan of NE pots (or their graphics), but their modules are fantastic, and fun to play. loved this:

"They feel so heavy and strong, when you twist those encoders on the loquelic you feel like you're controlling the thermostat of the universe." -VM

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon May 18, 2020 2:21 pm

ALM, Mutable Instruments, and Mannequins
Overall both of these companies are top notch with excellent ergonomics and comfortable hardware choices. Their modules often feel like playable instruments, and the utilities are straight to the point, without sacrificing personality. There is a bit of whimsy in the asymmetric layouts of sound sources like Akemie's Castle and Taiko. I enjoy this aspect in factory Mutable Instruments modules—like Marbles and Ripples—as well as in Mannequins modules, like Mangroves, Three Sisters, and Just Friends (incredibly ergonomic, asymmetric layouts).

It can come across as a bit non-standard to have the control layout be staggered, diagonally-opposed controls and inputs, etc. Yet it is ergonomic—more wiggle-room for the controls because of those negative spaces, vs. having things in a uniform grid. Grid layouts work well for mixers and utilities—I don't want to mess around, or be as 'musical' in how I use a mixer. Conversely, I have found WMD module layouts to be too on-grid, even boring—to the point that I won't I'll skip out on them based on interface alone.

Pamela's New Workout
The bigger program knob depresses nicely when clicked. The rotational clicks on knob turns add a nice bit of physical & auditory feedback, which helps to more comfortably dial in the parameter values, and navigate the menus. The smaller start/stop button comfortably beveled and inviting—it's often the first button I press when I am a patch comes to life, and it adds a satisfying sensation to the experience.

Noise Engineering
Great hardware choices that feel accurate, polished, and weighty—dare I say *smooth*—which is an interesting contrast to their notoriously abrasive panel design aesthetics, and some of the sounds/timbres their sound sources achieve. I personally love the unusual panel designs and control/panel layouts–very instrument-like, all personality, begging to be discovered + wiggled.

Joranalogue
Overall very clean and legible design—very easy to get to know these modules. The hardware is nicely weighted and feels good.

Intellijel
Similar to Joranalogue, with an bit of the warmth of ALM. Precise and a bit clinical, yet friendly.

Doepfer
Good hardware— precise-feeling controls and action/weighting.

kylverstone
Common Wiggler

Post by kylverstone » Mon May 18, 2020 7:21 pm

random*source modules do it for me. Metal shaft pots, firm but smooth action on both knobs and switches, and I love the wide spacing on the modules. Case manufacturers must love them!

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Noise Engineering feel super sturdy and the knobs have great smoothness and consistency to me. Also love Erica Synths, great feel and attention to detail. Even the nuts on the knobs all line up straight.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 am

I've seen a lot about ALM on this thread. I only own the PE-1 and don't get much from the knobs. Is there maybe something this module is missing that the others aren't? The feel of the knobs and the weight of their motion don't strike me as particularly special.
:party:

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 am
I've seen a lot about ALM on this thread. I only own the PE-1 and don't get much from the knobs. Is there maybe something this module is missing that the others aren't? The feel of the knobs and the weight of their motion don't strike me as particularly special.
For me what's interesting is the panel layout choices, particularly in a module with eq/mixer duties where a straight grid would be the norm. Staggering the knobs and having multiple knob sizes in a relatively small hp gives it a bit more personality, wiggle room/ergonomics than they needed to give it.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 pm

I love the big central feedback knob on the Miasma from Ritual. It's got just the right amount of feel, and the big flared bottom with the "marker" on it is fun to get dialed in. Feels like it came off an old receiver in the best way. I also like the "snap" of the two knobs on the Crime expander as you flick between the various diodes. You really get a sense that you're moving a connector around; it feels nicely mechanical and non-digital.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm

I like the rubbery knobs of Make Noise and WMD modules. Because they're NOT smooth I can nudge a knob with one finger.

Mannequins also feel good. Great spacing. Except for the w/ - maybe not even a need to add extra buttons or switches (maybe a clicky knob to scroll through cues faster?), they really just needed to make it 1 or 2hp bigger.
Last edited by Bachelard on Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 am

Just got the Red Panel/Buchla oscillator and I must say those custom knobs are super nice. Great build quality/feel

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm

New knob feel discovery: Tesseract buffered 8x8. Ultimate clickyness. It's like cracking your modular's knuckles.
:party:

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun May 24, 2020 6:24 am

Manhattan Analog SVVCF - love the amount of resistance on the knobs.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”