Reverbs with internal "send" cv

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Reverbs with internal "send" cv

Post by Dob » Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am

Are there any?

So, a reverb that provides control over both mix (or at least how many input goes to the output) and CV control over "send"? (how many input goes to the reverb)
This is normally done on a mixer with aux sends.

I've been sifting through the list on modular grid, but the most important control for modular reverbs, IMHO, is missing on all modules.
Why do they all have "mix" control? I never got musical results from cutting out tails when the mix went down. I just don't like hearing that.
"Send" however is brilliant, as you are able to selectively reverberate parts of your audio, in a musical manner, without killing those beautiful tails.
Same goes for delays, actually.

Of course you can achieve the same with a mult/vca/mixer, but if your have a stereo source and want to mix in stereo... It all of a sudden takes lots of stereo utilities.
Or are there nice compact 1 stereo channel "strips" for this purpose, with stereo fx return?

I need to keep my setup small, but can't really believe I'd have to miss out on this important feature because of that :despair:

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Reverbs with internal "send" cv

Post by Funky40 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am

Dob wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am
I've been sifting through the list on modular grid, but the most important control for modular reverbs, IMHO, is missing on all modules.
Why do they all have "mix" control? I never got musical results from cutting out tails when the mix went down. I just don't like hearing that.
"Send" however is brilliant, as you are able to selectively reverberate parts of your audio, in a musical manner, without killing those beautiful tails.
Same goes for delays, actually.
:despair:
I ***totally*** agree !

its also missed on all stompboxes i used !! and on all software i use ! its not a modular only "problem"

in regards to delays there is the DLD. ( it has a "feed" and a "mix", side by side)

its one of many things that shows nicely how people would just copy the the fails from each other,
cause it became a standard, but by no reason.
( aux send use on a desk is NO exuse imo )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Wed May 13, 2020 7:49 pm

Yea the first time I used the mix cv on my first euro reverb (2hp) I was like, "really?" I knew how mix normally works but figured it'd work as a send just because it seemed like it'd be a lot more useful/musical that way. I guess it can be a cool effect at times for weird, 'sucking-in' sound effects. I mostly do everything in mono though so I just started using a VCA.

I feel like stereo hasn't been that common in eurorack until recently? Perhaps that's part of the reason for sticking to the old convention, they'd just thought you'd use a VCA.

I love that my DLD has CVable feed tho! The CV ins on that baby are amazing.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:20 am

try this one : Tasty Chips ECR-1, a convolution reverb where you can load your own Impulse Responses (so you can load a delay IR, or some special EFX, whatever)

-true stereo - in fact, reads even 4ch wav's for L-R & Back - Front Processing

https://www.tastychips.nl/ecr-1-eurorack-convolver/
Last edited by wavejockey on Thu May 14, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 am

Dob wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am

Of course you can achieve the same with a mult/vca/mixer, but if your have a stereo source and want to mix in stereo... It all of a sudden takes lots of stereo utilities.
A lot of stereo FXes are actually mono input / stereo output. Meaning they actually mix both stereo input channels to mono before before they process the signal and then mix the fully wet stereo FX signal created from the mono-ified input with the dry stereo signal. Even on mixing desks the FX sends are often mono and only the returns are stereo. So you could create a send signal path by mixing your stereo source to mono before the reverb in order to save some utility modules without sacrificing any sound quality. Of course this doesn't apply if you have a true stereo reverb.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 am
A lot of stereo FXes are actually mono input / stereo output
I know, I learned that yesterday reading on the forum. Even my Bigsky does that!!

This morning I thought about one musical usage of having mix; with the negative envelope of the kick, one could mimick sidechaining the reverb. Or have some other rhythmic dips/spikes in the tails.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am

Interesting. Eats up too much power though for my Make Noise 7u case... (180 mA (idle) – 400 mA)

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat May 16, 2020 5:12 am

Dob wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 am
R.U.Nuts wrote:
I know, I learned that yesterday reading on the forum. Even my Bigsky does that!!

This morning I thought about one musical usage of having mix; with the negative envelope of the kick, one could mimick sidechaining the reverb. Or have some other rhythmic dips/spikes in the tails.
Yeah, but depending on how the dry/wet crossfade is implemented the dry signal will eventually get louder when you duck the reverb tail by using the dry/wet balance. A parallel signal path of dry and fully wet signal will work better in this application, too.
I guess I'm an advocate for the use of send/return signal paths with time based FXes like reverb and delay. :hihi:

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Thu May 21, 2020 2:42 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:12 am
Dob wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 am
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Yeah, but depending on how the dry/wet crossfade is implemented the dry signal will eventually get louder when you duck the reverb tail by using the dry/wet balance. A parallel signal path of dry and fully wet signal will work better in this application, too.
I guess I'm an advocate for the use of send/return signal paths with time based FXes like reverb and delay. :hihi:
I'm getting some pretty nice results with Mimeophon mix. Nice to have a wash of delay and then ducking a bit when a new sound comes in

lionel
Common Wiggler

Post by lionel » Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Does that count ?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”