Need quantizer advice.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Need quantizer advice.

Post by Rabid » Wed May 13, 2020 4:31 pm

I need another quantizer. Dual channel is very much preferred. In the past I have always used the Doepfer A-156. Is there something else that I should be looking at? The Intellijel and TipTop quantizers are twice the price! Is it worth it? Do they do that much more?
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Need quantizer advice.

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 4:34 pm

I'd look at either the Disting Mk4 or the new Disting EX from Expert Sleepers.

They are multi-function modules so when you don't need a quantizer you could use it for something else.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I should have added a link:-

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/disting.html

Quantizer algorithm is dual

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed May 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Here’s a directory of pretty much all your options: http://doudoroff.com/quantizers

The devil is in the details.

You say “dual channel is very much preferred”, but it depends on what you expect those channels to do, or not do.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm

µ ornament&crime
put hemisphere suite on it and rock on

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 4:46 pm

fjoesz wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm
µ ornament&crime
Yeah, got one of those, too, but not tried its quantizer yet. Another great multi-function module.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed May 13, 2020 5:00 pm

fjoesz wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm
µ ornament&crime
this, but maybe just stick with the stock firmware. quantermain is the best quad quantizer out there, IMO.

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Just watched the three official videos of the Intellijel Scales. Love the easy note select ability. Have no need for sequencer mode or saving scales. Getting ready to check out the other suggestions.

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Wed May 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Watched the TipTop video. Too much stuff I don't need. The more videos on quantizing I watch, the more I think that maybe I should go a totally different direction and get a Keystep Pro.

butter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by butter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Just another vote for an ornament and crime. It might lack the "playabilty" of something like a uScales with the little keyboard layout buttons, but I feel like its one of those "everyone should have a..." type modules. Even more than the distings, I find myself wanting one in each of my racks. There's not a lot of playabilty lost in moving to one of the micro versions, but the full-size ones are available really cheaply as a result of you have the space to spare....

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm

I’ve never really felt comfortable with my uO_c for some reason.

Had a Penrose, but gave it away. Had a uScale and was decently happy with it but wanted more channels. Picked up an ADDAC and have been happy. Also bought a harmonaig because Instruo.

There are a lot of good options available. mdoudoroff‘s site does a nice job of listing them. Seriously considered that Tenderfoot quantizer before going with the ADDAC. Happy to answer questions about the ones I’ve used. Good luck in your search, OP.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Thu May 14, 2020 12:11 am

ornament and crime quantizer is super easy to use. I like using it for that since you don’t really mess with quantizers too much once you set them up

s/t
Learning to Wiggle

Post by s/t » Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 am

+1 for the dual quantiser in the Disting Mk4

I was in a similar position and agree there is a big jump up in the price and complexity of quantisers. The ADDAC one looks great by too much £££ for me right now!

The Disting quantiser isn't the most immediate and one downside is that the trigger input (a S&H function before the quantisers) effects both quantiser outputs, but if that's not a required function then I believe the Z input can be used as a global transpose.

It was also the one I picked because it sounded (to my ears) like it had very few artefacts and 'trilling' compared to the 2HP one I was considering.

For ~£130 it's a good deal, and nice to know it can be put to other duties if I every upgrade my quantiser!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu May 14, 2020 5:19 am

Naenyn wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm
There are a lot of good options available. mdoudoroff‘s site does a nice job of listing them. Seriously considered that Tenderfoot quantizer before going with the ADDAC. Happy to answer questions about the ones I’ve used. Good luck in your search, OP.
Can I ask what made you chose the ADDAC over the Tenderfoot? They seem to have a similar approach so it'd be interesting to know what feature was the clincher.

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Thu May 14, 2020 6:51 am

Jackpot! Just found an Intellijel uScale II and Korgasmatron II in my stash that I bought right before I quit modulars for a few years. Neither one has been taken out of the box. The uScale II is only one channel plus an interval, but still, .....

Checking out the ADDAC 207. Expensive! But, 4 channel and it looks to be the closest to what I am looking for. Simple, but with the ability to push buttons to choose notes on the scale. Push button note selection is my main requirement. I may have to save up for this one.

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 am

this module choice is killing me right now i posted about it when i first joined the site - and months later - still dont think there's an option out there that gets the balance of features and usability right...the real shit part - is microtuning is something most people dont give a shit about so for me - i probably wont even feel anything is right:

doepfer quantizer - sick - but no keyboard style note selection, no microtuning - would probably use this if i wanted to dial up min/maj ET stuff.

mungo wO - do all the work on a pc - ie. full scale design and export to SD...(all sweet)
downside - select scale by turning knob - cant see what's selected. no keyboard note selection like uScale

tubbutec utune - seems like its doing too much? too much menu diving, not enough buttons? Just dont feel i can gel with the menu diving style.

ADDAC 207 - prety fucking great in terms of features - though if selecting 24 JIT - cant sub select the notes of a scale within that tuning paradigm...kinda annoying - no scale imports.

o_c - insane firmware expansion, scala scale import...all fucking awesome... - not much in terms of panel buttons....the only thing that sucks :/

id love something like this, in an o_C:

key points:

*select active notes...the keyboard style button+light combo could/should even arguably be a breakout box to allow live active note selection up to 31 ET or JIT or Arbitrary scales...the amount of buttons would add insane cost to such a build/product

* another knob to select root note, rotary + anotehr switch to selct sharp or flat - much like ADDAC 207 on the above mockup plate probably would add even more hands on control.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am

Alas, I don’t think the hardware behind Ornament & Crime can support all those buttons.

This thread shows how all over the map folks’ interests and priorities are. I see a lot of change in this space. For a long long while, quantizers were all pretty rudimentary, and that suited some folks fine. The ADDAC and Ornament & Crime were by far the most sophisticated, with the w0 being an opaque outlier. Even those three are wildly dissimilar products. I used Ornament & Crime for years, mostly in the quad quantizer mode, because I tended to have 3-4 voices to quantize.

One thing that could be said about all of the quantizers up to that point is that they were largely static, set and forget: they mostly just sat there and did their thing. If the module had a little keyboard for active notes, you could interact with those, but there was limited or no CV support. Yes, the ADDAC has one CV jack (initially crippled by firmware issues, IIRC), and yes the Meta-Q mode on O_C sacrifices two channels so that you can have some CV modulation, but these features went ignored by most. Quantimator was quite popular for a while because it could derive some parts and do some shift register stuff fairly easily and up-front.

About three years ago, lots of new ideas rushed in. Tubbutec’s uTune is all about microtonal. Arpitecht blurred the lines between parametric quantizer and parametric arpeggiator. Harmonaig asked a lot of interesting questions about chord generation and harmonization—it seems folks have had mixed results with it, but it’s unquestionably an interesting critter.

The massive Sinfonion turned the whole business on its head: strip your sequencers of their pitch authority, demote them to gestural devices on the same level as any other cv source, and make it possible to coordinate an indefinite number* of independent parts through sequenced, manual, or CV-controlled changes in scale. That’s radical. While the Sinfonion is not for everyone, it works, and we’re starting to see some of that thinking trickle down into more modest products, such as the upcoming Shakmat Bard Quartet.

*with enough Sinfonions

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 am
id love something like this, in an o_C:
It seemed silly at the time, but since they were next to each other on the bench I did consider hacking a Penrose for mask input in o_C...

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 am

cptnal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:19 am
Can I ask what made you chose the ADDAC over the Tenderfoot? They seem to have a similar approach so it'd be interesting to know what feature was the clincher.
It came down to size. The ADDAC is a smidge smaller.. 2hp to be precise. Otherwise, I suspect the Tenderfoot would have won out .. especially now that they're carried at Perfect Circuit.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 am
cptnal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:19 am
It came down to size. The ADDAC is a smidge smaller.. 2hp to be precise. Otherwise, I suspect the Tenderfoot would have won out .. especially now that they're carried at Perfect Circuit.
:tu:

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Thu May 14, 2020 12:16 pm

What makes the Intellijel quantizers worth it for me is their keyboard styled layout. I don't really know scales by their names, but I know what patterns on a keyboard sound like, so they're extremely intuitive if that's how you work. (And obviously other quantizers use that layout too, I just haven't worked with them) Plus, it's really easy to quantize things to just two or three notes if that's all you want, whereas with a quantizer that only limits selection to a particular scale, you'd have to select the scale you want and then find a way to constrain your incoming CV to only hit those notes.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

peegravy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peegravy » Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Can anyone chime in on the tenderfoot quad quantizer? Saw an email from perfect circuit that they now carry them.

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 pm

There's the Shakmat Modular Bard Quartet coming out soon...

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Pam’s latest update provided quantizers.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 pm

markincork wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Pam’s latest update provided quantizers.
I've not tried the PNW quantizer yet.

Looking at the manual I am assuming that it only quantizes its own wave form and not an incoming CV. To me, the manual isn't exactly clear on this.

There are two CV inputs on PNW but I thought that they were for controlling various parameters.

Of course, I may be misunderstanding the manual:-
Quant

Quantises the final output value as to fit in a selected musical scale or mode
with the 1V/octave standard.
Available scales are as follows;

• “NO” - No quantisation
• “MA” - Major
• “mi” - Minor
• “Hm" - Harmonic Minor
• “PM” - Pentatonic Major
• “Pm" - Pentatonic Minor
• “Ly" - Lydian
• “Ph” - Phrygian
• “Jp” - Japanese
• “P5" - root & fifth
• “C1" - I Chord
• “C4” - IV Chord
• “C5" - VI Chord
• “Ch" - 12 Tone chromatic

When quantised, a random wave form with a pattern applied (i.e euclidian or
random skip for example) is effectively ‘sampled and held’ across empty steps
(rather than dropping to 0v) to allow for more musical patterns to be created.

Note the quantiser is limited to 10 bits resolution across 5 Octaves (5 volts).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”