VC Euclidean Sequencer (no menu)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Metacohl
Learning to Wiggle

VC Euclidean Sequencer (no menu)

Post by Metacohl » Thu May 14, 2020 4:58 pm

After doing some searching it seems that the Euclidean Circles is the euclidean sequencer that best fits the format/interface I want; no graphical menu, easy to observe/modify steps, discrete steps instead of continuous knobs. However, the lack of VC for some of the parameters seems like a bummer.

Is there a VC alternative to the Euclidean Circles that has a similar interface, particularly no menu and discrete steps?

scttcmpbll
Learning to Wiggle

Re: VC Euclidean Sequencer (no menu)

Post by scttcmpbll » Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Dnipro DOT maybe

Metacohl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Metacohl » Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm

scttcmpbll wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm
Dnipro DOT maybe
Thanks! That's a super interesting module. I like the display style; hopefully the single knob wouldn't feel too fiddly

Metacohl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Metacohl » Thu May 14, 2020 5:59 pm

I also came across

Rebel Technologies Klasmata
Hikari Eucrhythm
2hp Euclid

All of these appear to have voltage control, but I think all are continuous turn knobs for step and length selection.

scttcmpbll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scttcmpbll » Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Metacohl wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm
Thanks! That's a super interesting module. I like the display style; hopefully the single knob wouldn't feel too fiddly
I patch faders from my 16n to control the fill amount of each channel, big fun! The encoder is pretty quick to get around on though

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

MI grids has a Euclidean mode, and you can cv the fill parameter. Unfortunately no rotate though, but I use it and EC both for Euclidean stuff.

There’s minimal set up required to put it in that mode, and the clock rate of choice, and it’ll remember those settings, so once and done....

Metacohl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Metacohl » Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Keltie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm
MI grids has a Euclidean mode, and you can cv the fill parameter. Unfortunately no rotate though, but I use it and EC both for Euclidean stuff.

There’s minimal set up required to put it in that mode, and the clock rate of choice, and it’ll remember those settings, so once and done....
Grids is a bit over my head, but reading the manual it seems like you get knobs for cycle length and for fill rate. Not clear whether the CV inputs control those things in euclidean mode.

Do you find it hard to visual the pattern when using grids as a euclidean? As someone who has never used it, seems like it could be difficult, compared to something like Circles.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Thu May 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Metacohl wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm
Keltie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Grids is a bit over my head, but reading the manual it seems like you get knobs for cycle length and for fill rate. Not clear whether the CV inputs control those things in euclidean mode.

Do you find it hard to visual the pattern when using grids as a euclidean? As someone who has never used it, seems like it could be difficult, compared to something like Circles.
100%, the fill cv effects Euclidean fill. I use it all the time.

You’re right that there is little visual feedback compared to EC, but absent of CV, the fill knob is your fill density, and the others are patten length, 1-16. So you have at least some idea of the result, prior to cv taking effect.

Whether this works for you is another thing. I find it OK, you might not. One thing I would also say is that the more you work with Euclidean, the easier it gets. I can hear most variations in an 8 or 16 pulse pattern straight off the bat.

In all, it depends what you want to do. I use these for clocking and env trigs, for jamming and improvising, and I’m using resets that hold it all together no matter what I do. Reset can be abused to create pseudo rotation against another clock ( just reset grids early to rotate left). For my patching, workflow and direction ( EDM, live) EC/Grids is a huge combo, and it’s at the heart of my rig. Euclidean, for me, is about experimentation, happy accidents and rhythmic, clocking assclownery. It’s not helpful to be 100% in control at all times. You have to embrace the chaos.

TL:DR: Grids fill cv ins definitely work in Euclidean mode. I am 100% certain as I use that all the time. My overall experience of Grids/EC, YMMV: both are great, neither is perfect. Grids could use rotation and visual feedback, EC is crying out for CV.

ETA: the switch expander is absolutely the way to go with EC as it saves patching for mutes, and 6 mutes in 2HP is hard to beat....

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:07 pm

Definitely look into Shakmat Knight's Gallop - https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-m ... t-s-gallop

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 am

Grids, EC2, and Knight’s Gallop ... have them all and none are perfect.

I can never tell what table I’m on with Knight’s, which drives me nuts. Also, the UI provides only minimal feedback which makes it hard to work with in minimal lighting. EC2 is great for the visual feedback, but come on, give me CV modulation. Grids is just too good in it’s normal mode to use it for Euclidean stuff, but you don’t know what it’s going to do (which most of the time, I like).

There’s also PNW, where you can set one channel to be a fully CV controlled Euclidean pattern generator. There’s also O_C with full CV control, but both are menu driven.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri May 15, 2020 5:30 am

It occurred to me that the EC's lack of CV inputs can be mitigated by putting a clockable CV looper between sequencer and sequencees.

Unfortunately, I can't find the perfect looper for this task. Also either I'm the first person who had that idea or my way of asking questions here pisses people off, so no experiences to draw from. I'll probably just bite the bullet, buy the Mimetic Sequent plus expander, try my best to ignore the fact that the MS' randomization features are completely useless in this context, and curse a lot over timing problems because the MS' S&H features are worse than useless in this context.

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Just bought the 2HP Euclid and love it? Any tips to transpose notes triggered by the Euclid?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”