Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

meneldor
Learning to Wiggle

Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by meneldor » Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Does anyone know of any eurorack sequencers that would behave much like the one on the new Subharmonicon?

Andrew Huang had a great explainer on how it works here:

And Suzanne Ciani + Scott Kiernan is just... perfection.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Foghorn » Fri May 15, 2020 5:21 pm

I think to start with you just need two small sequencers.
But the rhythms, I can see how you could use a whole rack of dividers and switches.
So as far as control of the rhythm, I would love to hear of a module that could do the controlling that the Moog is doing.
Seems like you would need a microprocessor in the mix.
I wonder about ER-101, ER-301 or ER-102 plus the 101 etc..

PS I just learned that Trigger Riot is a little like that.
I am having so much fun with it.
I can't believe I had it sitting in a box for a year :doh:
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

meneldor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by meneldor » Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 am

Yeah, you would theoretically be able to do it with an endless amount of dividers and other basic modules, but it would be great if there already exists some sequencer that does more or less this thing already... The trigger riot is a great idea, wonder what others could work?

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat May 16, 2020 8:42 am

In a module combo fashion I would go for Tempi (as it is easy to manipulate the division on the fly) clocking two 4 step sequencers (such as Ladik S-142).

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kohlhofer » Sat May 16, 2020 12:39 pm

I did just do that:
Used xaoc Tirana clocked by 2 gates from tempi (divided by 3 and 5) and then OR’ed them together with Plog logic. Would be easy to switch this up modulating either tempi or plog. And even with just tempi by clocking mod.

I Combined this with Loopop’s Math trick to create two sub OSCs, one of which is locked too a fixed division and one uses the cv coming from Tirana to control the subharmonic divisions.

Works and sounds rather splendid and it all follows the pitch changes of the main OSC (in this case the DPO).

Maybe I can avoid buying the subharmonicum for now even if it is only one half of it and not quite as playable :)

meatybytes
Common Wiggler

Post by meatybytes » Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm

This is VERY interesting.. I've been lusting for the SH ever since i first heard about it at moogfest.
Can you explain a little more about how you are using tempi with tirana?
Why clocked by two gates?
I don't have these modules but figure i could get two similar clock divisions by using two separate gate outs from beat step pro with certain steps on or off
Send these to verbos multistage.
Use the same maths trick for sub

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kohlhofer » Sat May 16, 2020 5:25 pm

The subharmonicum seems to have this trick where you can mix mix two or more integer clock divisions to control each of the sequencers. It looks like a simple OR. I picked small prime numbers to keep things interesting and moving. So each step on the 4 step Tirana advances either on a 3rd or 5th division of my faster master clock. Not sure if there is more magic going on in the subharmonicum?

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Sat May 16, 2020 6:29 pm

That's the gist. There's also a MIDI-only "hidden" setting that allows you to change rhythm triggers from OR to XOR so they won't trigger when more than one rhythm generator ticks at the same time.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 pm

That guy is annoying as hell. No idea how any right minded person could sit through his videos.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat May 16, 2020 6:42 pm

:roll:
THUMPR BC SC

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Not a ton of info here, but you'd run the square wave out of a syncronized vco into the tempo sync of a sequencer... The tempo would cascade down subharmonically.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:36 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 pm
That guy is annoying as hell. No idea how any right minded person could sit through his videos.
Agreed.

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kohlhofer » Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Kohlhofer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:39 pm
I did just do that:
Used xaoc Tirana clocked by 2 gates from tempi (divided by 3 and 5) and then OR’ed them together with Plog logic. Would be easy to switch this up modulating either tempi or plog. And even with just tempi by clocking mod.

I Combined this with Loopop’s Math trick to create two sub OSCs, one of which is locked too a fixed division and one uses the cv coming from Tirana to control the subharmonic divisions.

Works and sounds rather splendid and it all follows the pitch changes of the main OSC (in this case the DPO).

Maybe I can avoid buying the subharmonicum for now even if it is only one half of it and not quite as playable :)
Made a track out of the above. DIY subharmonicon comes in at about the 1 minute mark:

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue May 19, 2020 11:10 am

Nice to hear patching solutions (to avoid doling out cash for new gear).

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Thu May 21, 2020 7:00 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
You might not like him, his videos have a bit of a hyperactive style to them, sure. But calling his 2 million subscribers "not right minded" is a bit rich. His Subharmonicon video has 150K+ views and is the most popular video on the device on the Internet. For comparison, it beats Loopop's workshop Subharmicon video by 50K. Huang's video is a week old, the other is a year old.

I guess what I'm saying is: blurting out "no idea how any right minded person could sit through his videos" says more about you than about the people enjoying his videos, or Andrew Huang for that matter.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 am

rplktr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:00 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
You might not like him, his videos have a bit of a hyperactive style to them, sure. But calling his 2 million subscribers "not right minded" is a bit rich. His Subharmonicon video has 150K+ views and is the most popular video on the device on the Internet. For comparison, it beats Loopop's workshop Subharmicon video by 50K. Huang's video is a week old, the other is a year old.

I guess what I'm saying is: blurting out "no idea how any right minded person could sit through his videos" says more about you than about the people enjoying his videos, or Andrew Huang for that matter.
Thank you for the YouTube analytics. Do you know what time of the day is the best to post a video?

Domin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Domin » Thu May 21, 2020 1:28 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
His talking is bearable, wait until he sings.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri May 22, 2020 1:03 am

Andrew is an active member of this forum. He’s a super nice guy and a highly talented multi-instrumentalist.

I wish I was as productive as he is.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

titaanzink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by titaanzink » Fri May 22, 2020 4:37 am

Getting back to the OP's question:
The Percussa SSP sequencer module has a DivF parameter which divides the base-BPM by any number you like. Since you can easily combine multiple sequencer modules in a single patch you could recreate the Subharmonic sequencer section by using some sequencer modules to generate polyrythmic gates and separate modules for the CVs. And since it's an SSP you might as well add oscillators and a filter to the patch.

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

lol that song at the end. I love how in 2020 you can't state an opinion without somebody giving you a long lecture on etiquette and how it's not cool to say mean things and really you're wrong because so-and-so is really great.

anyway I don't know about needing a microprocessor or endless dividers... I'm thinking the barton clock divider would be perfect as it has a master clock with 4 division outs where the divisor is selected via a knob. Div by 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/16/32/64 I think. Two of those and two 4 step sequencers... then maybe something like a shortbus (diode OR) to send the various clocks to one or both... sent to some oscillators with subs.. but I wonder how they accomplished being able to send the sequences directly to the sub-oscs? Never seen a sub-osc with independent FM...

Lokua
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lokua » Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm

I have a trigger riot and z3000. When I saw the video my first reaction was oh, cool, exactly what I do with my modules. Lots of hp they take, though. For a bit I've been thinking of how I can accomplish the same thing with less modules / hp. Seems you can do this exact thing with a single varigate 4+ and an adder to combine two of the sequences into a single polymetric sequence. Maybe an additional quantizer post adder.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
So are you. We all tolerate you. How much have you contributed to the conversation versus him?

As far as an equal in Euro... what others have suggested I think covered it. Sometimes though, it's not the same to patch up 'similar' options with a bunch of modules. There may be a little behind the panel interaction that only works within a system.

This new Moog sounds pretty cool though. Why not use it as the sequencer? It has plenty of outputs.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri May 22, 2020 6:52 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
So are you. We all tolerate you. How much have you contributed to the conversation versus him?

Oh snap! :help:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”