regarding power supplies and DC jacks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MrBiggs
I see dead people

regarding power supplies and DC jacks

Post by MrBiggs » Sun May 17, 2020 1:07 pm

I am replacing an under-powered supply in my Monorocket case with the Intellijel TPS80w. This will be powered with a MeanWell GSM90A15-P1M power brick. The old input jack on my case is a 2.1mm inner-diameter, but this supply needs a 2.5mm.

I am running into a wall with finding the correct input jack. Searches keep pointing me to something like the Switchcraft 712A. The size is correct, but I am wondering about the ratings. The Meanwell brick is rated at 6A current and 12VDC. The jack is rated at 5A and 48v.

I don't know whether this discrepancy in current will be a problem.
And if so, anyone have any suggestion as to what jack would work?

thanks
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: regarding power supplies and DC jacks

Post by KSS » Mon May 18, 2020 5:18 am

I would ask Intellijel. And Meanwell.

And ask this in the DIY sub forum of MW.

What amperage is being pulled at the input of the Intellijel TPS80w?

I could give you an off-the-cuff answer, but it would be better coming from the people involved with the components you're using.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Mon May 18, 2020 6:21 am

Personally, I'd just cut the brick's plug off and replace it. Much less hassle than replacing the jack in the case...
WTB: Dovemans SHFT

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Mon May 18, 2020 6:34 am

If you cut the plug off and swap it make sure the polarity remains correct, that's huge. Been there, done that.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 am

Cutting the plug off is a bad choice. The reason the higher amp connector is 2.5 is duh, higher amps. Trying to stuff those amps through a 2.1 connector -and we're talking DC- is stacking the deck against yourself.

Advice to OP. Get the right 2.5 connector. I would expect Meanwell could quickly tell you where it can be found.

vizor81
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vizor81 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am

I am using a GSM90A19-P1M for my Row Power 40 with an adapter from 2,5mm to 2,1mm. Works fine and the sound is clean, even if I don‘t use the adapter.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Mon May 18, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks much -- I got an answer, which is that since the TPS80w pulls 3 amps, then the 5A and 6A rating of the input jack and the power brick are fine. I ordered the right 2.5mm connector.
And installing it will be much easier than cutting a soldering a new plug onto the Meanwell.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 pm

vizor81 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am
I am using a GSM90A19-P1M for my Row Power 40 with an adapter from 2,5mm to 2,1mm. Works fine and the sound is clean, even if I don‘t use the adapter.
Suggest taking the power plug out of the DC jack and seeing how hot it is -or isn't- after extended use of an hour or two. Electronic power ratings are almost always based on heat generation and management. It may or may not be a factor in your case, but in your shoes, I'd want to know before something overheated in the middle of a perfomance.

When you use the adapter, and especially when you use the 2.5 into the 2.1, you're concetrating the DC amperage across a smaller contact area. With the adapter you're increasing resistance through two contact patch areas. Heat will increase. Whether it's enough to matter is another matter. But one worth knowing ahead of time.
Last edited by KSS on Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

vizor81
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vizor81 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Good point KSS.

Plugging 2,5mm directly into 2,1mm without adapter might result in only partial contact along the circumferential perimeter which would concentrate the current density at the remaining contact surface. The mechanical contact pressure might also have an effect.
But the pin is split along the axial direction and the two prongs could be a bit further spread apart, I guess.

So far, I have not noticed any heat up of the plug. But didn‘t check that specifically. Will keep an eye on it next time.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”