Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
JM Midnight
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by JM Midnight » Mon May 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi, I am interested in installing the Subharmonicon into my rack, but does this module still suffer the same scale and voltage discrepancy as the Mother-32? If so, should I get an Erica Pico MScale for this as well? Another question: Does the 32 still have this problem, or has this issue been addressed and patched?

Any input would be appreciated.

User avatar
emergingstates
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by emergingstates » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 am

would absolve to know this

User avatar
emergingstates
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by emergingstates » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 am

"also"

endwino
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by endwino » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:47 pm

It's -5 to 5 V according to the manual, if that's what you're referring to? I'm starting to use the Subharmonicon with my rack, so I'm sure I'll run into this problem too. I've got some offset/adding/inverting utilities, but not sure how precise they would be for this. Actually, I just got an ornament&crime that can probably do it somehow.

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by afaafa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:20 pm

I have a Subharmonicon and yes, it takes +/- 5V. Whether or not you need an offset depends on what else you have in your rack. A handful of oscillators now use bipolar 1V/oct inputs, and many sequencers output bipolar voltage, so you might be fine. Erica uses 0-10V, hence the adapter.

One trick I've found is to use the sequencer as an offset. The sequencer is summed with the pitch CV input, so if you leave one of the sequencer channels turned down to -5V, you have your offset.

This doesn't work when controlling the Subharmonicon via MIDI, in which case the connection to the sequencer is broken. In general I'm finding I hardly use the MIDI input, unless I want to FM VCO1.

endwino
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by endwino » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm

I haven't found much use for the MIDI input either, but I guess that's not really the intent of this thing. This one definitely seems to be on the modular side of semi-modular. I was getting a bit bored with it, but pairing it up with a few modules has really opened the unit up IMO. And I haven't even gotten around to using the sequencer externally, that looks like it should be fun. I wish I could send other stuff through the filter, but oh well.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:35 pm

endwino wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
I haven't found much use for the MIDI input either, but I guess that's not really the intent of this thing. This one definitely seems to be on the modular side of semi-modular. I was getting a bit bored with it, but pairing it up with a few modules has really opened the unit up IMO. And I haven't even gotten around to using the sequencer externally, that looks like it should be fun. I wish I could send other stuff through the filter, but oh well.
Sounds great. I'm also having some mixed feelings about mine. Mainly because it takes a fair bit of wrangling between the pitch and the sequencer to make anything musical come out of it.

Can I ask you some of the ways you patch it with the rest of the modular that have opened it up?

endwino
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by endwino » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:33 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:35 pm
endwino wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
I haven't found much use for the MIDI input either, but I guess that's not really the intent of this thing. This one definitely seems to be on the modular side of semi-modular. I was getting a bit bored with it, but pairing it up with a few modules has really opened the unit up IMO. And I haven't even gotten around to using the sequencer externally, that looks like it should be fun. I wish I could send other stuff through the filter, but oh well.
Sounds great. I'm also having some mixed feelings about mine. Mainly because it takes a fair bit of wrangling between the pitch and the sequencer to make anything musical come out of it.

Can I ask you some of the ways you patch it with the rest of the modular that have opened it up?
Well I'd like to say I knew what I was doing...but..... :hihi: ......

Likely I just haven't figured out how to get the most of it on its own yet. I've been keeping the pitch sequences very simple to avoid the chaos, which can lead to everything sounding kind of the same. Using a separate sequencer and some logic to play with the rhythms/play/reset/trigger inputs is fun and added a lot of variation. Some LFOs (especially slow ones) helped animate things too, since it doesn't have any of its own. Though now that I think about it I could probably get one out of one of the subs, not sure how well that would work.

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by afaafa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 pm

I love it. For my purposes I much prefer it to the Mother 32 or DFAM. With the 6 oscillators and some feedback patching you can get massive sounds out of it. You can conjure up some gorgeous Debussian harmony with the subharmonic tuning and just-intoned quantization. The envelopes are nice and snappy with a linear attack and exp release.

That said, it has its quirks. Getting nice sounding harmony out of it takes some knowledge of music theory. You can cover a lot of territory by tuning one pair of suboscillators to a fifth and the other pair to a forth and controlling the VCOs duophonically. With the main oscillators at the bottom of their range and the sequencer providing offsets, all of the suboscillators can work well as square or saw LFOs. You can then get subharmonic arpeggios by patching one subosc in the LFO range to the sub input of the other VCO. The filter cutoff goes down low enough to slew those LFOs if you want to use them elsewhere. Four saw or slewed-square LFOs related to each other by simple ratios is a cool thing to have.

I have three gripes about it: 1) I wish the rhythm knobs were stepped switches. To dial in precise polyrhythms you have to count down by ear. Stepped knobs would have made this faster. 2) The subosc square waves are not clean square waves. A small amount of even harmonics bleed through. They sound good, you just need to use the main oscillators if you want perfect squares. Sometimes I wish the middle position of the VCO switch were a triangle rather than a saw/square/FM combo. 3) The MIDI. I wish it behaved more like the CV in. With CV in you can transpose your sequence and you can pitch bend. With MIDI, note input interrupts the sequencer input to osc 1 and 2, but still allows the sequencer to be routed to sub 1 and 2. Weird.

endwino
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by endwino » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:02 pm

afaafa wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 pm
I love it. For my purposes I much prefer it to the Mother 32 or DFAM. With the 6 oscillators and some feedback patching you can get massive sounds out of it. You can conjure up some gorgeous Debussian harmony with the subharmonic tuning and just-intoned quantization. The envelopes are nice and snappy with a linear attack and exp release.

That said, it has its quirks. Getting nice sounding harmony out of it takes some knowledge of music theory. You can cover a lot of territory by tuning one pair of suboscillators to a fifth and the other pair to a forth and controlling the VCOs duophonically. With the main oscillators at the bottom of their range and the sequencer providing offsets, all of the suboscillators can work well as square or saw LFOs. You can then get subharmonic arpeggios by patching one subosc in the LFO range to the sub input of the other VCO. The filter cutoff goes down low enough to slew those LFOs if you want to use them elsewhere. Four saw or slewed-square LFOs related to each other by simple ratios is a cool thing to have.
This is awesome. So many things to try!

User avatar
stepvhen
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by stepvhen » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 am

I recently got a Subharmonicon and I've also been having a hard time. At minimum it really wants to be paired with a reverb or delay (like every demo on youtube has it).

Once I stopped using it as my focus and instead as the pad-maker or driver for other parts of my rack, I feel like it really opened up. Using the VCO + Sub VCOs to drive another my NLC 3340 sync, FM, and mod led to some extreme sounds that never got too out of hand.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by Xmit » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 am

With the main oscillators at the bottom of their range and the sequencer providing offsets, all of the suboscillators can work well as square or saw LFOs. You can then get subharmonic arpeggios by patching one subosc in the LFO range to the sub input of the other VCO. The filter cutoff goes down low enough to slew those LFOs if you want to use them elsewhere. Four saw or slewed-square LFOs related to each other by simple ratios is a cool thing to have.
wow. I had not even thought of doing this. Brilliant. thanks man. :guinness:

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:37 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by Bachelard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:51 am

That is some pretty cool synth sorcery articulated in this thread, and I don't even own a Subharmonicon - thanks afaafa :yay:

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by afaafa » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Yes, this thing is great for thick pads. I'm a film composer so that's what I've been using it for so far.

Another thing you'll probably discover - with everything bottomed out at the lowest possible frequencies the frequency dividers seem to reach to bottom of their functional range. They stop slowing down the suboscs and instead introduce a lag time between cycles. I think it's a cool effect, unlike what you would get from Pam's or Batumi, and nice for cascading arpeggios.

User avatar
wrngtrls
Common Wiggler
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:32 am
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon + Euro

Post by wrngtrls » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:55 am

I just finished hooking up my Subharmonicon to some vintage Tektronix Oscilloscopes. You can see how the twin oscillators and competing sequencers just boogie-woogie so nicely. Because the harmonics can get so crazy so fast (I actually thought mine was broken in April when I still didn't fully get it), composing with the oscilloscope is super helpful for me:


Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”