Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Hello everyone, hope all is well with you guys.

I'm wanting to buy an analog oscillator and at the moment the Malekko Richter 2 is top of my list at the moment.

So what are your favorite analog oscillators that you guys are turning to these days?
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Post by synkrotron » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Simple or complex?

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon May 18, 2020 5:18 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm
Simple or complex?
Simple but while we're at it let's open it up to both.

thelowerrhythm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Best oscillator for the money I've ever had was the Noise Reap uBermuda, but they're hard to find now. Currently the one this brings to mind is the Pittsburgh Primary oscillator.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Mon May 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Also wondering this. I'm looking at the Make Noise DPO and Radical Frequencies Dual Precison VCO (both complex oscillators) but I'm wondering if I may be better off starting out with a more simple oscillator as my first analog oscillator (now have plaits and stages ouroboros).

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon May 18, 2020 5:29 pm

I use my Livewire AFG constantly. It’s a stunning analogue Osc.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm

This thread will quickly turn into everyone recommending their own personal favorite oscillator. For me that's the WMD/SSF Spectrum, simply because of its versatility and ease of use. One thing I always like to see is 5 knobs: coarse tuning, fine tuning, FM attenuation, pulse width, and PWM attenuation. Spectrum has all these plus buttons for octave selection. When you look at other basic analog oscillators, it's surprising how many of them don't have all 5 knobs. Some other things Spectrum has which I always like in an oscillator:

- regular and LFO mode
- linear and exponential fm
- all the basic waveforms: sine, tri, saw, square/pulse
- hard sync

The sub-oscillator functionality, with switchable octave (-1 or -2) and waveform (square or saw) is also great.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon May 18, 2020 5:38 pm

albiedamned wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
This thread will quickly turn into everyone recommending their own personal favorite oscillator.
Yeah I knew that. I kinda wanted that to happen since I'm sure there's plenty I've missed. And now since I have more time on my hands than I'd like these days I have plenty of time to listen to demos. ;)

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 pm

Since the Richter and AJH you mentioned are not "complex" oscillators (no cross modulation, no waveshaping, not dual channel), I'll assume you are looking for similar analog VCOs. I have the Richter Osc 2 and really like it-been around a long time but still a solid choice, the extra row of variable phase outputs (except sine-which is a very pure sine by the way) is a nice bonus (particularly in LFO mode). Fine tune can be a bit touchy to set, and be sure to let it warm up but then has good tracking over at least 3 octaves. FM is expo only.

If I were buying a "bread & butter" analog osc today, I'd be looking hard at the WMD/SSF Spectrum and the Synth Tech E300 Ultra VCO (Euro version of MOTM-300). Both very well made, stable and good set of features (-1/-2 oct sub oscillator, flexible FM, PWM). Spectrum has handy octave switches, can do super slow LFO and costs $50 less than E300. E300 is stated to be the best tracking analog VCO (over 10 octaves!) with lowest temperature drift. Choice of silver or black faceplates, Spectrum is silver only.

Disclaimer-I don't own either of those, but have lots of other Synth Tech and WMD/SSF modules, all great stuff, and I like what I've read and heard about these two-would be my top alternatives to the Richter if starting over, and might pick up one or both in the future. I also recently picked up the ZPO from SSF and really like it so far, lots of outputs & features (dual channel wave morphing, unique version of thru-zero modulation), tuning is solid.

E300 Modular Grid page
Spectrum -Modular Grid page

Zero Point Osc-Modular Grid page

Other good options might be latest version of Intellijel Dixie (espc if space is limited), Make Noise STO has a lot of fans, and the Instruo Ts-L, tona and troika are well worth a look (their Cs-L is my favorite complex oscillator, love mine so far, prefer over DPO that I never really gelled with).

Edit-lotsa posts made while I was typing and finding links, so disregard my first sentence. I noticed another recommendation for Spectrum...
Last edited by nostalghia on Mon May 18, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Mon May 18, 2020 5:44 pm

I have to admit that I only have two true analogue VCO. The Doepfer A-110-1 and a 2HP VCO. Both reasonable and worth keeping in my opinion.

My other oscillators are Distings which have a couple of different options, but they are not analogue and there is no true sine wave, unless I use a sine wavetable. Not being analogue doesn't really bother me to be honest.

So if I was to add another oscillator to my system it would need to have a true sine wave.

I would also like an additive sound source too at some point.

Edit:

I have made a grave error in my text above due to not reading the Disting manual properly. It appears that the Disting does have a sine wave but not in the B8 algorithm that I always use. For the sine wave option you have to use the B7 algorithm.

Apologies to anyone who has read this and taken my words for gospel.
Last edited by synkrotron on Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:44 pm
My other oscillators are Distings
"My other oscillator is a Disting" would make a good t-shirt.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

albiedamned wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm
"My other oscillator is a Disting" would make a good t-shirt.
Great idea :mrgreen: :tu:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm

The STO. I've owned and sold I think 5 in the 5 years I've been doing this. The sound is great and the versatility it can perform once you start using all the jacks is amazing.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Mon May 18, 2020 6:28 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm
The STO. I've owned and sold I think 5 in the 5 years I've been doing this. The sound is great and the versatility it can perform once you start using all the jacks is amazing.
Bread & butter? STO definitely, also as someone above mentioned the Doepfer 110. I run the Softube Modular VST just so I can have more of them.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm

I've heard good things about Tona and Ts-L. Tona is like a built out single Osc from Troika, which I own and enjoy as 3x bread and butter VCOs

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 pm

When I think bread-and-butter analog I typically think of either a Dopefer A110 or MN STO, both mentioned above. WMD/SSF Spectrum is a great contender for the king of this category due to the tracking range alone, but I've never owned one. I've kept the STO because I enjoy the sound; both A110 and a TipTop Z3000 (another great bread-and-butter) were sold.

I have a number of the STG .VCOs on order, also being built by WMD, which boast similar tracking to the Spectrum in an STO sized package with some different features. Excited to have a nice matched bank of oscillators to play with.

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Tiptop Z3000 is still a nice workhorse oscillator. Checks all the boxes in albiedamned's post too, minus the octave switch.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Mon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm

As a belated follow up, I have the DPO and STO combination, but I don't consider this a 'matched set' of analog bread-n-butter (does anyone else think of pickles when they type this?) oscillators; this are 3 very different oscillators, analog and quirky but certainly not matched. This is most evident in pitch-dependent ASR driven patches or polyphonic patches.

silkynight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by silkynight » Mon May 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Dixie 2+

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

DonaldCrunk wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm
As a belated follow up, I have the DPO and STO combination, but I don't consider this a 'matched set' of analog bread-n-butter (does anyone else think of pickles when they type this?) oscillators; this are 3 very different oscillators, analog and quirky but certainly not matched. This is most evident in pitch-dependent ASR driven patches or polyphonic patches.
Wasn't thinking anything else but pickles but I knew the point.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm

I have 2 Even VCOs by Befaco and they're great.

I have 3 Synthtech 300 vcos in MOTM format, they've long been my go to basic vco. I don't have any e300s (yet).
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

neverwhere11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neverwhere11 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I was just looking into this last week and I ended up going for the Dixie 2+ really happy with my decision so far, the other one I was looking at was the Instruo TS-L. I was mostly looking for an oscillator to pair with a Generate 3 I recently picked up, which is another great analog oscillator but I wouldn't really call it bread and butter.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Mon May 18, 2020 9:10 pm

I bought a used Studio Electronics Oscillation and I just love it. I would say it qualifies as bread and butter, but it sounds so rich and with separate outs for each wave form you can do so much. I’m seriously considering a second one.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon May 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm
Hello everyone, hope all is well with you guys.

I'm wanting to buy an analog oscillator and at the moment the Malekko Richter 2 is top of my list. I was considering the AJH MiniMod but after a recent thread about troubles with them I was turned off.

So what are your favorite analog oscillators that you guys are turning to these days?
Hello and good wishes to you, too.

Simple

Studio Electronics - Slim O ("Oscillation", too, but it is big)

Steffcorp - 2600 VCO (two together, preferably. sadly out of print)

Make Noise - STO (I like everything about it but the sound of its sub out)

Aion Modular - 921 (two together, preferably)

Doepfer - A-110-4

Malekko - Richter Anti-Oscillator

Joranalogue - Filter 8 (ranges among shades of VCF, VCO, slew modifier, and VCLFO; can be pinged and held; 8-phase outputs)

Complex

Endorphines - Furthrrrr Generator (analog core, too fine)

Instruō - Cš-L (challenging UI, but otherwise awesome)

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Mon May 18, 2020 9:34 pm

neverwhere11 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:00 pm
I was just looking into this last week and I ended up going for the Dixie 2+ really happy with my decision so far, the other one I was looking at was the Instruo TS-L. I was mostly looking for an oscillator to pair with a Generate 3 I recently picked up, which is another great analog oscillator but I wouldn't really call it bread and butter.
agreed, G3 is wonderful, but the opposite of bread and butter. Dixie is a modern classic for FM modulation.

also will second Filter 8 for Osc/LFO/utility duties, though it mainly is a sin source as an oscillator. I always feel a bit guilty using it... use it as a filter and you sacrifice octature sin, use it for slew/CV modifications and it's not filtering or providing sins, use it to ping and you aren't doing the previous

Return to “Eurorack Modules”