Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Post by IEC » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 am

my favs are studio electronics oscillation and the erica black vco. though i have not tried spectrum and have never met a WMD module that isnt excellent...

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:47 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 am
I dumped almost all my VCOs for wave players and granular modules but kept the two ones I liked the most, a pair of older Analogue Systems RS-90 VCOs. I like them because they are very close to the first VCOs I ever owned, the ones on an EMS VCS3 and AKS. They have similar wave shaping, though the EMS didn't have CV over it, a wide range, and the variable CV input can go up to 0.5v/oct (close but not as far as the EMS 0.32v/oct) which is great for some snappy fast frequency Ray-guns from Mars pitch sweeps. My older RS-90 is no longer in production I believe, but the new RS-95 is almost the same. The added vernier pitch knobs really give there EMS vibe and they added the SAW\TRI output which has the ability to also be used as an input to control the Sine Shape (pretty neat trick that).

AS RS-95 VCO.png
The definition
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:23 pm

My top-three "simple" VCOs are:

• Tiptop Audio Z3000 Smart VC-Oscillator Mk2.
• Noise Reap Paradox dual-analog VCO.
• Dreadbox Hysteria quantized-VCO.

Last week, I picked up my fourth used Tiptop Z3000 Smart VC-Oscillator Mk2: Simultaneous-outputs of all waveforms, linear-FM input, two exponential-FM inputs, PWM-input, digital frequency-display, etc. I think these feature-packed oscillators are the bees' knees and excellent tools for beginning synthesists.

I only recently discovered Noise Reap's Paradox dual-analog VCOs with internal self-modulation at only $120 each. I bought two just a week ago, and though they're currently sold out, they promise more are coming in March. (I also bought a used a Noise Reap 2xVCA for only $50, about what they sold for new.) All of Noise Reap's stuff sounds and looks great and sell for very reasonable prices.

I was looking for more standalone VCOs specifically to make more FM-patches, and not only do these modules pack two VCOs in one package, but they also include internal FM-modulation, so these were perfect for that application. Just about to screw them in the rack now. Very excited to attempt some "complex-oscillator" patches with these!

Also have become a fan of Dreadbox' Hysteria quantized-VCO. Just $99 and I think they're great. No simultaneous-waveform outputs, but there's a slider which can continually morph through the various waveforms which is actually a really neat feature. I built a monosynth-patch with one last night and did have to adjust the fine-tune even with the quantizer on, but after that, it worked and sounded great.

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 am
What would be the best choice for two bread and butter vcos ?
The same pair or two different oscillators ?

Would one dixie and one ona be a good idea ?
I have a Dixie pair, a II+ and a II. If I want to start from scratch and build my own complex osc, I start with those two. Also, small HP for the two of them.

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:24 am

studio460 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:23 pm

I only recently discovered Noise Reap's Paradox dual-analog VCOs with internal self-modulation at only $120 each. I bought two just a week ago, and though they're currently sold out, they promise more are coming in March. (I also bought a used a Noise Reap 2xVCA for only $50, about what they sold for new.) All of Noise Reap's stuff sounds and looks great and sell for very reasonable prices.

I was looking for more standalone VCOs specifically to make more FM-patches, and not only do these modules pack two VCOs in one package, but they also include internal FM-modulation, so these were perfect for that application. Just about to screw them in the rack now. Very excited to attempt some "complex-oscillator" patches with these!
I second the recommendation of Noise Reap Paradox. It's an amazing module for a very reasonable price. There's also a very simple modification to add an external sync. Basically you convert the internal sync bus switch to a toggle switch between internal and external sync. (Fitting the extra jack into the faceplate is a bit difficult, but it can be done at the expense of some graphics.) That adds another feature to a module that already packs an extraordinary number of features into 8hp...

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 am

Rubicon 2. It's a weird one because it's fairly large for a single oscillator. Although it has a "wavefolder" and all of the parameters have attenuator pots so no need for using attenuator channels to get down with it. Also, all of the switches are clever AF and super ergonomic. It has an amazing sound to it as well. If you're really into drones, and getting heavy with modulating your oscillators Rubicon 2 is a no brainer. If you just want solid vanilla wave outputs go with something else.

CeilingFanDan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CeilingFanDan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am

Still kinda new to euro, but I'm finding myself really selective where I want big knobs and where I want little knobs. ;)
In general I'm trying to avoid the tiny knobs, cuz they're a bummer, but I don't like huge tuning knobs on oscillators because I'm always bumping them! I'm super happy with the spectrum for that reason.

(long winded way of saying +1 for spectrum)

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:08 pm

CeilingFanDan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am
Still kinda new to euro, but I'm finding myself really selective where I want big knobs and where I want little knobs. ;)
In general I'm trying to avoid the tiny knobs, cuz they're a bummer, but I don't like huge tuning knobs on oscillators because I'm always bumping them! I'm super happy with the spectrum for that reason.

(long winded way of saying +1 for spectrum)
For what it's worth, for almost every module you could probably replace the knobs :) They mostly use the same potentiometers (T18 or flatted/d-shaft), and there are lots of vendors out there that sell knobs. You can even put knobs on the knobless trimmers, though the trimmer wiggle is a little bit more noticeable with knobs on them.

Raymond
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raymond » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:24 pm

First post to cast my vote for the rubicon. So many classic waveforms and a lot of possibilities. I don’t know the V2, I’ve never tried it but I have the V1 and it is just great.
Don’t know if it be classified really as a bread and butter oscillator though as it is also so much more.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Plus 1 for Rubicon, although I have the V1 version also.
From what I have seen of V2, it is well worth it.
I have ruby sitting next to one of my many Dixie IIs.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:38 pm

I can add my vote to the TipTop Z3000. It just seems to be everything that a classic VCO should be.

I don't have my Doepfer 110s and 111 any more, but they also fit the bill. The 110s lacked soft sync and linear FM, but could be modified to add these features.

Additional votes for Dixie (all versions) and Rubicon. More recently, the Danny Sound Cal VCO has managed to maintain a place in my top rack.

burdickjp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by burdickjp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm

An interesting and useful VCO which I think doesn't get enough love is the Doepfer A-110-6 Trapezoid Thru Zero Quadrature VCO: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-110-6

While it doesn't seem terribly special, it offers the normal waveforms, it offers a few unique features that make it an awesome primary oscillator: quadrature outputs and through-zero FM.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm

ADDAC 701.2 is pretty inexpensive for a high-end manufactory and with 60mA not so heavy on power consumption. I now have these options in my rack: BLM TPC, Ladik VCO-2 and the one mentioned. All are great but I've leaning on the TPC the most, but now want to focus on one of them and get three of the same in the end. Availability and constant revisions with BLM is an issue for me. I have a Dixie II too but won't going to expand on that.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:51 pm

burdickjp wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm
An interesting and useful VCO which I think doesn't get enough love is the Doepfer A-110-6 Trapezoid Thru Zero Quadrature VCO: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-110-6

While it doesn't seem terribly special, it offers the normal waveforms, it offers a few unique features that make it an awesome primary oscillator: quadrature outputs and through-zero FM.
I'm a bit obsessed with the smaller version of this maybe I should upgrade!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm
ADDAC 701.2 is pretty inexpensive for a high-end manufactory and with 60mA not so heavy on power consumption.
Yep, my pick too when it comes to basic VCOs. Lin FM, hard and soft sync, PWM, waveform mixer, octave switch, etc. In such a tiny space and with good size knobs. Nice deal.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:18 pm

lisa wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm
slumberjack wrote:
ADDAC 701.2 is pretty inexpensive for a high-end manufactory and with 60mA not so heavy on power consumption.
Yep, my pick too when it comes to basic VCOs. Lin FM, hard and soft sync, PWM, waveform mixer, octave switch, etc. In such a tiny space and with good size knobs. Nice deal.
I just made a very nice kick drum with it this afternoon. The mix section is awesome...it was actually my first patch with it and it looks like I found an answer on how to fill the void: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1453546
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Raymond
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raymond » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:25 pm

slumberjack wrote:
ADDAC 701.2 is pretty inexpensive for a high-end manufactory and with 60mA not so heavy on power consumption. I now have these options in my rack: BLM TPC, Ladik VCO-2 and the one mentioned. All are great but I've leaning on the TPC the most, but now want to focus on one of them and get three of the same in the end. Availability and constant revisions with BLM is an issue for me. I have a Dixie II too but won't going to expand on that.
I have been very curious about this one since I saw it for the first time but I have never been able to try one.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

The Addac and the Vermona were not on my radar before this thread, thanks for sharing!

E300, Tona and Bermuda I really like.
Gaun Yersel!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”